Author Topic: USB HOST/MASS STORAGE PROJECT STATUS  (Read 37893 times)

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Ignorance is not fatal it can be cured
Re: USB HOST/MASS STORAGE PROJECT STATUS
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2008, 09:12:29 PM »
Well what you could do is make up a list of what you need. We could gather it all together here and send it parcel post
at US prices and label it as a gift so you would not have to pay the duty.

Offline niko86

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2008, 03:13:31 PM »
I wouldnt want to be a hassle your a busy man and got your own life, i'll try and find some way of getting the supplies i'll need. If i get really desperate i might take you up on the offer though hehe

Not sure if you noticed this thread on QJ

http://forums.qj.net/showthread.php?t=142897

He also i trying to add on some sort of host storage to the psp, as a secondary part of his touchscreen product. Yours and his projects are both IMO pretty revolutionary. I'm also sure he said he is getting power for it through the psp  headphone remote port port, mighta misread though. Links up abit with what you were talking about in Electro's joystick mod thread.

Offline TheVirus

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2008, 04:17:59 PM »
I've read through all of this and I'm not sure if I missed it, in either thread, but is it possible to use a laptop hard drive (in an enclosure), connected directly to the PSP? I have a Black & Decker Pocket Power that takes a USB/plug connection, so battery life shouldn't be a major issue. I don't need any fancy Wifi stuff, but I'm guessing that's required for this to work, isn't it?

Thanks.

Offline pax

• CyberPyrot WannaBe
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Sig and Avatar by INDYCHASE
    • GAMING LAGOON - Join now for free prizes
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2008, 04:26:19 PM »
I've read through all of this and I'm not sure if I missed it, in either thread, but is it possible to use a laptop hard drive (in an enclosure), connected directly to the PSP?

ok its defnately not that simple, read this https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=18521.0
and try using the search button

p.s. welcome to Acidmods

Guppy > Chief Squatting Hard > 1/2 Pint > Fart Sniffer > Tone Deff > Motor Mouth > Allumnist > King of the Wii-tards > Who Farted > Poker Champ > Chaos Lover > Bomb Maker > CyberPyrot Wannabe

Offline TheVirus

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2008, 04:59:13 PM »
ok its defnately not that simple, read this https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=18521.0
and try using the search button

p.s. welcome to Acidmods

Thanks for the link. Seems I need an enclosure that goes into Host mode. I'll look into one of those OTG cases to use, maybe gr8npwrfl can suggest a few. My goal is to just store movies/games and transfer them over to my 4GB stick. Going on some very long trips in the near future and wanted something portable. If all else fails, I can just use my laptop, but it's a behemoth.

Offline niko86

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2008, 05:08:21 AM »
Thanks for the link. Seems I need an enclosure that goes into Host mode. I'll look into one of those OTG cases to use, maybe gr8npwrfl can suggest a few. My goal is to just store movies/games and transfer them over to my 4GB stick. Going on some very long trips in the near future and wanted something portable. If all else fails, I can just use my laptop, but it's a behemoth.

This projects aim is to remove the need to transfer files onto the memory stick from your hardrive but to run the movies music games etc directly off the harddrive.

What you will need is an nslu2 and load unslung linux onto it to act as a middle man between your psp and harddrive. Gr8npwrfl has all the tutorials made showing how to do that. Also he made a tutorial for making a battery system to run the nslu2 and your harddrive.

Offline hdx

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2008, 04:55:47 PM »
It's very exciting and amazing mod but still unpractical. I hope it will get internalized someday. Keep on working Gr8npwrfl.

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2008, 07:51:14 PM »
I am already laying out the internal board.

Then entire system will be 3/4 inch by 3 inches

Offline four20team

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2008, 05:27:35 AM »
OK. First of all i would like to say so far so good bro but i have been surfing for awhile now with no luck so far. i have my own method but dont know if it would work but hear me out

i have had my zune hdd for a while now and reading your posts over and ove i think i might have a better solution......maybe.

This could be done as a internal or external mod(Phat: both; Slim ?)

1)strip a Datel 4gb hdd of its hard drive
2)since i have a zune 30gb you would need a 1.8"ZIF/CE HardDisk to 1.8"IDE Converter(look on ebay, cheap!)
3)connect the hdd to the datel hdd board, hook it up to the psp, format and TADA?!?!?!

I am a reall noob when it comes to hardwaremods but if you honestly think it would work, i will buy the parts and infor you guys, so let me know!!!! i dont even know what the limit is for the datel!!!!

These are what you would need for the mod:
1. PSP (of course)
2. Datel 4gb hdd
3. The 1.8"ZIF/CE HardDisk to 1.8"IDE Converter
4. Zune 30gb hdd (toshiba mk3008gal)

Offline Jumbo

• Dr. Mod
  • BST BAN
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-3
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2008, 06:07:25 AM »
wont work the limit on the datel is 8gb

Offline four20team

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2008, 06:11:16 AM »
Anything else to suggest? ive been reading bout that neo thing a ma jig. could i use that somehow instead of the datel thing?

Offline four20team

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2008, 10:11:22 AM »
ok. i think i might have it, by george!!!!

now there is this Piece of hardware called  Neo converter Pad 2 in 1 and the Maufactuer accually has a forum up on how to remove the 4gb restriction by breaking a solder point and it allows up to 32gb:
http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/topic,4105.0.html

so i am thinking that once i do this i could use the Zune HDD and the ZIF to IDE adapter connect it to the CF slot on the NEOPad then hook it up to the PSP. now with this in mind as a internal mod, i dont think everything  will fit considering the PCB looks alot larger that The Datel one.

Thoughts Anyone?

Here are the links of the hardware that i would use for this mod

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-8-ZIF-Hard-Disk-to-Laptop-1-8-micro-IDE-HD-Adapter_W0QQitemZ290249491186QQihZ019QQcategoryZ41993QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/30GB-MK3008GAL-Toshiba-Hard-Drive-for-iPod-Video-Zune_W0QQitemZ380052159573QQihZ025QQcategoryZ94930QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Offline Verbal Herbalist

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2008, 05:00:27 PM »
ok. i think i might have it, by george!!!!

now there is this Piece of hardware called  Neo converter Pad 2 in 1 and the Maufactuer accually has a forum up on how to remove the 4gb restriction by breaking a solder point and it allows up to 32gb:

so i am thinking that once i do this i could use the Zune HDD and the ZIF to IDE adapter connect it to the CF slot on the NEOPad then hook it up to the PSP. now with this in mind as a internal mod, i dont think everything  will fit considering the PCB looks alot larger that The Datel one.

Thoughts Anyone?

Here are the links of the hardware that i would use for this mod

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-8-ZIF-Hard-Disk-to-Laptop-1-8-micro-IDE-HD-Adapter_W0QQitemZ290249491186QQihZ019QQcategoryZ41993QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/30GB-MK3008GAL-Toshiba-Hard-Drive-for-iPod-Video-Zune_W0QQitemZ380052159573QQihZ025QQcategoryZ94930QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hey everyone! I would have wished my first post to be in the New to the Board area but I just had to comment on a few things here first  :whoosh:

To Four20Team:

You have a good idea. It would take a bit of research but I think it could be possible to do this. I would also like to contribute as I have the following you make note of.  Now I understand I have no adminstrator nor real right to say this, but you should really start a new topic for this. I'll be sure to help then! 

I mean after all this thread does belong to gr8npwrfl's project. (I still like your idea!)

To gr8npwrfl:

This is fantastic work! You really have done a lot and I love your project! I hope you feel very accomplished because it is well deserved. I've been following this for quite sometime now. However, I don't have any helpful suggestions (You seem to be doing fine, hehe), I just thought I would say great job and terrific work!!

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2008, 08:21:55 PM »
Thank you.

That is what makes this site great. Everyone can come up with their own ideas.

The problem you are going to run into with your version is there is still software.
The compact flash to IDE interface takes drivers to run it. I have one. I have
compact flash to USB host interfaces also.

The problem with that interface to the IDE drive is there is hardware that translates
compact flash card memory seeks to disk drive seeks. Compact flash reads to IDE
reads. Some of the people I know that have been playing with this are only able to get
certain types of small hard drives to work from certain manufacturers.

The jumper you are clipping is modifying the hardware translation limit to 32 gig.
So even if you get it to work with a 250 gig hard drive your limit will always be 32 gig.
Unless you want to redesign the gate array that runs it.

With the advancement in storage technology 32 gig of dual SDHC cards and the adapter
are already in the under $100 range.

The reason we are doing the mod the way I am working on it is to interface so many other
things than just storage. All sorts of usb devices.

I am not saying not to try your approach, it is a fantastic idea and learning medium. Just
bang for the buck is not there.

I just finished writing the installer for nethostfs on linux. Still working on the tutorial and
want to finish that by this weekend.

The auto-routing software has been working on the board for three days now. Trying to keep
the number of layers on the PCB to just 4. It may have to go to 5 to keep the size and form
factor that I want.

Another batch of xm4 boards will be coming in next week and I will make sure and get some
pictures of them set inside the drive bay of a PSP.

I am in a dilemma as to if I should spend any more time to get remotejoy working on linux.
I have all the parts coming in next week for the serial interface to the headphone port.
I am thinking that I will just take a PS2 joystick put a small pic inside and plug it into the
serial/headphone port. Then rewrite remapsp to remap the joystick keys to the PSP buttons.
Plug and play no wiring required inside the PSP.

I would like some feedback on this as I think this will benefit many more people than requiring
a person that wants a joystick to do the USB/Mass Storage mod.

Give me some ideas guys

Offline SENCATO

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2008, 08:57:20 PM »
gr8npwrfl dude im not an expert but i think, I THINK only an opinion :help: that you should finish the internal xm4 board mod. because of the its the main reason i joined acidmods and joystick to work with remote joy is just likek icing to cake to me i dont know its just an opinion but anyways its your decision what you spend your time, and i can just say youve done a terrific job so far thanks. :tup:

Offline four20team

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2008, 09:38:13 PM »
Thanks For the input guys.

the reason why i was even considering this kind of mod is that i see it as a very mobile solution even as an extrnal mod. to me anything over 50gb really is overkill for any type of handheld console. I'm looking at everything in a neat little package on the back of my psp. and another reason is alot of people upgrade their ipod or zune hdd and they have the old one. this mod is even cheaper if you have the older ipod hdd because it already has an ide interface.

as for drivers i have a buddy who is familiar with irshell trying to workout that.

in a nutshell guys, my little project's goal is: lots of storage, minimal amount of modification, and less headaches.

just for fun, today i picked up a 60 gb ipod photo and was wondering if there was anyway to use this as a usbhost with ipod linux , irshell or whatever. so plz let me know bout this.......

thanks guys.

ps there should be a forum for ideas like mine so other people can get out their ideas cuz this whole "psp HDD" thing is still pretty bleak throughout the web

Offline Tri-edge

• I found Nemo!!
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Azure knight
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2008, 07:55:15 AM »

I am in a dilemma as to if I should spend any more time to get remotejoy working on linux.
I have all the parts coming in next week for the serial interface to the headphone port.
I am thinking that I will just take a PS2 joystick put a small pic inside and plug it into the
serial/headphone port. Then rewrite remapsp to remap the joystick keys to the PSP buttons.
Plug and play no wiring required inside the PSP.

I would like some feedback on this as I think this will benefit many more people than requiring

Give me some ideas guys

I think you should do the remapsp first because a ps2 controller through serial would better would be easier to accomplish then soldering the entire psp.  And I really want a ps2psp

Offline niko86

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2008, 04:43:34 PM »

Give me some ideas guys

Theres a guy on QJ trying to sort out a linux version of remotejoy as part of a project he is working on. That might bring forth a linux remotejoy. So perhaps put that on the backburner.

The xm4 sounds like its coming along great :D

Sounds like the ps2 pad mode would be "simpler" i say that i wouldnt know where to begin :P

We all owe you a beer i think lol Should be a beer donation button!  :drunk:

Offline Tri-edge

• I found Nemo!!
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Azure knight
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2008, 09:47:55 PM »
who know maybe doing a smaller project on the side will help relieve stress and maybe give you ideas for the remotejoy. that and I really want a ps2 controller on my psp. 

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2008, 11:21:47 PM »
Status Update.

The autorouter finished the usb xm4 board routing this afternoon. I have only 52 errors to sort
out and see if I am smarter than the autorouter.

I have about 5 more pages to write on the nethostfs for the NSLU2 host.

I have finished the auto install program for nethostfs and I will have to take
my NSLU2 back to stock in order to test the install and make sure that
I have not something left over in the directories to make it work.

I am not going to abandon remotejoy but I am putting it on the back
burner. I need to finish the usb board for the xm4 and I am going to start
writing the software to marry a remote joystick to the headphone serial
port.

I am checking the web to see if I can find a source for the connector
that marries to the PS2 joystick.

Offline folklord36

• Research & Development
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2008, 06:36:15 PM »
Great update getting closer to the xm4 release its great you have gotten this far the final product will be hands down the best psp mod ever and a base for so much more development to come i hope to see this continue with compatibility on future hand held consoles that can run Linux and the next psps. :clap:

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2008, 11:34:12 AM »
Ok,

Here is the alpha version of nethostfs for the NSLU2 that people are working on.

Remember this is alpha and it will more than likely crash, but it will not hurt any
your files.

This is a work in progress, I am only putting the executable here until
the code is done then it will be given out as source.

On your NSLU2 log into the system with ssh with user root and your password

make a home directory

mkdir home

start winscp and change to your new home directory

copy nethostfs to your home directory

make it executable

chmod +x nethostfs

run the program

./nethostfs /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1/ ( the name of your game directory )

So if your NSLU2 is 192.168.1.77 then goto the configuration
of irshell and set the ip of the nethost system to 192.168.1.77
Set the name of your access point in another entry.

You are now running a wireless host play with it and give
me feedback.

Note: Right now there are many games that do not play.
Please check the irshell website for compatibility

http://www.irshell.org

Here is the file:

NETHOSTFS
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 11:43:11 AM by gr8npwrfl »

Offline DaveBere

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2008, 01:17:43 PM »
Exellent work gr8npwrf

In the NSLU2 the home directory already exists. It contains a folder httpd which contains the NSLU2 homepage
Should I create a folder inside the home folder called nethostfs or just place the nethostfs file there ?
Or is this home directory you refer to in the nslu2 flash or hard drive 1 ?

Thanks and sorry if these are noob-ish questions.

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2008, 09:17:56 PM »
No just put the file in the root of the home directory

Offline Fou

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2008, 12:57:59 PM »
I think I've find something who seems to be interesting...
tell me what you think about...
A linux system look like an usb key....

http://www.calao-store.fr/

Sorry for english, like all illiterate, I'm french ^^

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2008, 03:48:46 PM »
We already looked at it.

It won't work the USB port is 1.1 so it will only transfer data at less than 12 Mbit/second

It can not be expanded to add a different usb port.

in French

Nous avons déjà examiné.

Il ne fonctionnera pas le port USB est de 1,1 il ne transférer des données à moins de 12 Mbit / seconde

Il ne peut être étendu à ajouter un autre port USB.

Offline mfcds

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2008, 10:45:10 PM »
Hello! I don't know if I got it right, but would this work if I got my pc on and it have a wi-fi pci card? would it be easier or harder to word? thanks a lot! also, is this faster os slower than average Sony Memory Sticks? Thanks one more time!

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2008, 10:49:59 PM »
Many people use this mode at home.

It will be slower than a memory stick because the Wifi in a PSP is only "B" mode 11 megabit ethernet.

If you use the usbhost and connect a usb cable to your PSP then it is pretty close the memory stick
speed.

The install on the PC is easier as you do not have to build the whole system.

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2008, 09:28:17 PM »
Status Update:

Layout for the new USB 2.0 daughter board is withing 10 corrections of being done.

I should have it completed in a week and then off to the board house to have
the first run boards made.

So I should see first run engineering boards in about 1 month.

BTW the daughter board is going to be 5 layers, 3 circuit layers, 1 ground layer, and
one power layer.

I have received all the parts to build the first 5 test boards.

I will build up two boards to do the software debugging on and will post
both still pictures and video of the first boards when they are built.

In debugging the nethostfs software, we have found the reason that nethostfs
will not run all the programs that usbhostfs will. We are working on a new
version that will be much more stable.

Look for that upgrade in the next few weeks.

I am also dividing my time in doing another usb project for the PSP.

We are doing a low speed usb host that interfaces to the serial
port on the PSP. I am already debugging the software to interface:

1. Xbox 360 wireless/wired controller
2. PS2/PS3 wireless/wired controller
3. Logitech wireless Wingman controller

4. Xbox Chatpad keyboard
5. Standard PC USB keyboard

6. USB Mouse.

Like all my mods this will be a plug in. No internal mods needed
to the PSP. Install the software and create the map of what
buttons or keys to what PSP internal buttons you want
for each game you play.

Note: this mod is NOT for mass storage devices. It is limited
to 4800 baud so it will only be for input devices or maybe
a printer interface.

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2008, 05:05:59 PM »
New nethostfs is done. ALL bugs fixed and it works completely.

Some of the original authors also worked on this and it has been
completely upgraded.

Nethostfs is now as stable as usbhostfs and plays every game I threw
at it.

I can not release it until the new CFW and add ons are released. It will
not run with the older software and plug ins.

Sorry,
 as soon as I can I will release it.

I will make the corrections on the current version and release that as
it is compatible with existing software.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal