Author Topic: Is a 30W soldering Iron Ok to bridge a fuse on PSP?  (Read 3677 times)

Offline red0151

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
Is a 30W soldering Iron Ok to bridge a fuse on PSP?
« on: July 22, 2008, 05:14:09 PM »
Hi i am kind of new to soldering and am about to attempt to bridge a single fuse (LB) on the PSP MoBo. 

Would a 30W soldering iron with a fine tip be ok to attempt this bridge?

I noticed there is alot of soldering irons out there but thought it would be best to go with a budget one as i only need to solder the single bridge.

Any advice would be appreciated as usual.

Offline Velocity

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: Is a 30W soldering Iron Ok to bridge a fuse on PSP?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 05:32:10 PM »
You should get a 15 watt. I have one since I was new at soldering and it really helped.

Offline Sanctus

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 09:02:22 PM »
Hi i am kind of new to soldering and am about to attempt to bridge a single fuse (LB) on the PSP MoBo. 

Would a 30W soldering iron with a fine tip be ok to attempt this bridge?

I noticed there is alot of soldering irons out there but thought it would be best to go with a budget one as i only need to solder the single bridge.

Any advice would be appreciated as usual.

Well I bridged the same fuse with a 30 watt iron so it's possible. A 15 watt iron would be easier but yeah if thats all you can get then it will work. But be careful and use lots of conductive tape.  :tup:

Also, have you looked at conductive pens? Apparently they are really good for bridging fuses as they don't require soldering and I think they're pretty cheap

Offline red0151

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 05:00:31 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys, i will look at the conductive pens but from my first searches they seem a bit expensive.

I think buying a cheap 15W soldering iron may be the best middle ground option.
 :hifive:

VoX

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 11:35:11 PM »
Go for a cheap 15W instead of those conductive pen's, It will help you in the long run

Offline Vindicta

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I am Vindicta
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 02:17:27 AM »
Since your new to soldering, practice soldering on some broken electricals, like for example, i opened a broken ps2, and practiced soldering on that, once you feel you are confident (it will usually be less than a few days)

If you are just starting soldering, dont solder to the mainboard, you could break it and they cost alot

the first time i soldering, it was bad, because i hard to learn that ^^^ method the hard way, by trying the usb charge, the breaking a fuse, then trying to bridge the fuse and it ending up destroying the mainboard

it was a truely sad day for vindicta

Offline alexandercyle

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • dont put marbles in your nose!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 12:46:43 PM »
since you obviosly are new to soldering i would say opt for the conductive pen then you just have to draw the bridge and you wont mess it up radioshack has them for like 4 bucks or less i cant remember my friend in new zealand says its 30 us dollars there but i would look into it

Offline Sanctus

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 09:03:30 PM »
since you obviosly are new to soldering i would say opt for the conductive pen then you just have to draw the bridge and you wont mess it up radioshack has them for like 4 bucks or less i cant remember my friend in new zealand says its 30 us dollars there but i would look into it

Yea but here is new zealand is a rip off lol. Btw alex dw about sending that pen anymore. Something must've gone wrong with the mailing again anyway, but I managed to bridge it myself  :tup:

VoX

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 12:37:10 AM »
Same in Australia, They are really expensive

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal