Author Topic: corrupt ipod video  (Read 2415 times)

Offline griff

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
corrupt ipod video
« on: September 01, 2008, 05:20:56 PM »
hey all

i was given an ipod video today by my mate.the story goes that apprently he was using it on vista an vista decided to update an shut down having not ejected the ipod an so currupting it,i googled about that an found that vista did have a problem with this which is now fixed.

anyway he spent a while on the apple helpline which culminated in them saying "yeah thats  :censored: you need a new one" so he went an bought a new one an was about to bin this one when i snatched it off him. :w00t: i'll take anything free.

now what happens is if you connect it to the comp,with or without itunes running i get the do not disconnect bit on the window an in 'my computer' it shows up as 'drive E' but it never synchs with itunes.
i found a bit on youtube about going into disc mode by holding menu+select then play+select then reconnecting it to do a systen reboot but it's still not finding it

also if you go into the properties from the 'my computer' bit it comes up as 0Kb empty an 0kb used.

so is it completely dead? is there anything else left to try? or failing that can it just be formatted into a external drive?

sorry to ramble-thanks to anyone that has read this far-any help fully appreciated.

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
Re: corrupt ipod video
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 06:49:23 PM »
Try putting it into disk mode again...it doesn't show in iTunes at all? If it does, restore it. If not, download ipodwizard from ipodwizard.net and try to open up the iPod (It will say if it finds any iPods). If it does, PM me and I'll give ya a firmware file to write to it. That may work. Then you'll just want to update it afterwards.

Hopefully that will work. If not, I'm not sure of anything else.

Offline griff

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 03:41:05 PM »
hey thanks for replying

i tried ipod wizard but that doesn't find it either

it says it's connected on the ipod and it shows in 'my computer' but as a drive-not an ipod.but it will not show up in itunes or ipod wizard :help:

any other ideas.

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 04:49:27 PM »
Just an idea, but when it's connected like that, go to rockbox.org and download the installer utility. Try to see if THAT detects it. If it does, install rockbox on it. You've got an mp3 player again. Once RB is installed, try it with iPod Wizard and iTunes again. See if it detects it now. If not, I'm not sure yet. If I come up with any other ideas on how to restore it, I'll let you know.

Offline griff

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 03:21:42 AM »
nope -went into the rockbox installer-an it didn't find it so i selected the full file path an it kept saying it was invalid :censored:

:beg:help i want a free ipod video.........lol

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 12:27:54 PM »
It didn't automatically find it? Weird. All I can say is maybe swap the harddrive and write a new formware to it (iPW, iTunes, RB, etc.) and you should be good to go. It sounds like a harddrive fault and not a motherboard fault.

Offline griff

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 05:10:35 PM »
will have to look into a new hard drive.cheers for your help.   :hifive:

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 05:19:11 PM »
Okay, just wish it worked XD You're welcome. If you need anoy more help jsut ask.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal