Author Topic: Networking Nerd Needed  (Read 1927 times)

Offline Rory

• ZOMG, A Deda!!!!!
  • Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Eyy lmao
Networking Nerd Needed
« on: September 27, 2008, 02:41:09 PM »
Right...
I'm a bit stuck here.
I gots a BT Home Hub in my cellar. Wifi doesn't reach from there to my bedroom. So I ran a single wire upstairs to my bedroom, with another 4 port router acting as a hub. My PC recconises it and ammends all the crap and has no problem getting on the internet.
360 however...
That is a problem. Keeps failing when it trys to connect to the DNS. I think its because its trying to go through the 4 port router diretly to the internet, rather than going to the one in my cellar.

Anyone know how to change the settings or whatever needs doing to have both running in my room without having to swap the cable between each depending on what I want to use?

Recap:
360 and pc > router > home hub > internet
Quote from: IndyChav
I think that the king of spam should be immune to the punishment for posting spam everywhere, so post away Rory :tup:
Quote from: FreeK
couldnt of said it any better.

Offline H-Sauce

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Music Producer
Re: Networking Nerd Needed
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 04:33:28 PM »
ask gavin...

Offline MattZani

• Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Matthew Dear
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 04:47:10 PM »
Im pretty sure Homehubs dont like Hubs being attached to them, i could never get them to work for a friend, in the end i just bought a new better router.
Retired Modder, minor dabbling from now on :P

Offline StealthedHunter

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Can't See me
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 07:21:11 PM »
had a very similar problem before. I called microsoft and first time they had no idea what to do and they were dumb, but the next time I called the guy gave me a ip address and a dns # to manually put in the 360 and it worked perfectly after that. I dont remember what the dns # was though.Look on google about it im sure someone has the dns # unless it could be different for everyone im not really sure im no proffesional xbox internet netweorker or anything. O but it seems like maybe the router or the routers box it came in ( if u still have it if not check the internet for it) had a dns # and that might of been the one he told me to input im nor really sure though it was at least 2 years ago and I dont remember all the details

Offline aZiZ1

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 11:13:31 AM »
From what i can remember from my networking days, is that Hubs divide the 10/100 network for computers, Now i dont have a 360 but this is why i hated a hub.
Get a switch, it should fix ur problem, What i think the problem is, is that the 360 doesnt see the 10/100 network due to the bandwidth of the hub being divided all over the place.
Try it, if it doesnt work, return the switch.

Offline StealthedHunter

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Can't See me
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 10:15:44 AM »
Did you ever get it working or try these ideas?  :whoosh:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal