Author Topic: Help with Broken LCD Ribbon and Missing Connector  (Read 2448 times)

Offline DudeeBalls

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
Help with Broken LCD Ribbon and Missing Connector
« on: December 04, 2008, 10:20:37 AM »
I broke the thinner ribbon for the LCD right before the contacts and I broke off the snap connector for the LCD's fatter ribbnon. Are there any solutions for these two problems? I tried to solder the thinner ribbon back together but it wouldn't stick together and I tried stripping the plastic coating off of the end of what was left of it and although that made it work it still wasn't long enough to allow the LCD to be placed back in properly.

Offline iamoldest

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: Help with Broken LCD Ribbon and Missing Connector
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 03:23:44 PM »
Sorry bro but you might need a new mobo....

I did this to like 3 when I first started modding.... just use an exacto knife next time and try to be as gentle as possible

Im sure you could fix it with some good soldering skills but idk how bad this is

:boxed:

I broke the thinner ribbon for the LCD right before the contacts and I broke off the snap connector for the LCD's fatter ribbnon. Are there any solutions for these two problems? I tried to solder the thinner ribbon back together but it wouldn't stick together and I tried stripping the plastic coating off of the end of what was left of it and although that made it work it still wasn't long enough to allow the LCD to be placed back in properly.

Offline Jumbo

• Dr. Mod
  • BST BAN
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-3
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 04:27:32 PM »
Post a high quality pic of it.

Offline alentris

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Bleep-Bloop.
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 04:30:54 PM »
I actually broke the snap connector for my smaller ribbon cable, and here's how I fixed it:

Carefully but firmly put the ribbon cable back in. If it is only partially off, use an exacto knife to snap into position the connector. If it is completely off, use some electrical tape to hold it in.

:hifive: Hope this helped

Thanks to HiddenVenom for the sig!

Offline DudeeBalls

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 10:57:42 PM »
As you can see there's still some solder on it from my attempts.

Offline Alien_X

• Club AM VIP
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +3/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 07:37:43 AM »
Okay, 1st off:

You are going to need to replace the connector, with a hot air desoldering iron, and some moderate soldering skill - Getting it off is the hard part.

2ndly:

DO NOT EVER USE AN EXACTO KNIFE TO OPEN FPC CONNECTORS, that is what breaks them in the first place.
The datashets for these connectors explicitly warn against this practice.

Sigs by Alien_X
www.ax-elec.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal