Author Topic: A few questions on paint, dyes and materials  (Read 1636 times)

Offline JumpFalcon

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
A few questions on paint, dyes and materials
« on: December 21, 2008, 06:11:44 AM »
I'm an absolute beginner at painting consoles and stuff. I want to paint my PSP back white but not glossy, so it has the same texture as the PSP back.

I have access to faceplates and sandpaper as well as the paints, I was just wondering what type of paint to use and primers and other coats I'd need.

Thankyou in advance.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 05:56:38 PM by JumpFalcon »

cosmetic mods... :censored: 'em

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
Re: Painting PSP back
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 01:34:47 PM »
You'd just need the color of paint that you need (in this case white) some primer... Something light like grey or something, and although a clear coat would protect your paint, I think it leaves sort of a glossy finish. Since you don't want that glossy finish, I guess you shouldn't use clear coat.

Sig by Kenshinffx - Thanks!

Offline JumpFalcon

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: A few questions on paint, dyes and materials
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 08:16:02 PM »
Thanks!

I have a few more questions. this time on painting my DS original.

- What paint/coat can I use to ensure that I acheive the same texture that it had originally (it wasn't glossy like the DS lite cover but wasn't as rough as the inside of the ds lite

- What can I use to colour the rubber bits inside the ds? Are replacement white rubber bits available?

cosmetic mods... :censored: 'em

Offline Max_Kreeger

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: A few questions on paint, dyes and materials
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 08:35:06 PM »
PSP:
First use a wet and dry 400 grit sandpaper and sand it all, don't worry it won't leave any scratch marks. Next get plastic primer( I used plasti-kote thats the brand) and give it two thin coats. after that use any plastic spray paint (I used rust-oleum) to keep it the same texture you should use flat white or whatever color you want. Flat white isn't glossy. You can check my controller paint job to see how the flat colors turn out.

DS:
The DS should be the same, I'm not sure what texture they have...and painting rubber bits isn't recommended because they start to chip. Your better off buying the color you want.

Hope this helps
Max
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 08:38:34 PM by Max_Kreeger »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal