Author Topic: Problems with 3mm leds  (Read 2461 times)

Offline Knightsofwar210

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Knightsofwar210site
Problems with 3mm leds
« on: January 01, 2009, 02:42:22 PM »
Okay I got these leds - http://unique-leds.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=1578 and I'm doing a direct speaker reactive thing and when i connect the led to the speaker only one of the leds lights, when I try to connect 2 of them to the speaker none of them light up only if you connect one led to the speaker will it light up. What's wrong with the led's i bought?

Offline treemty

• l,,l METAL l,,l
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Will mod for food
    • the1337group.com
Re: Problems with 3mm leds
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 02:51:12 PM »
Okay I got these leds - http://unique-leds.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=1578 and I'm doing a direct speaker reactive thing and when i connect the led to the speaker only one of the leds lights, when I try to connect 2 of them to the speaker none of them light up only if you connect one led to the speaker will it light up. What's wrong with the led's i bought?
oh...you sould have bout 0603 leds because the leds you bought are kinda big for the psp unless you are putting them in the UMD drive, do you need links to the correct leds?

Offline Knightsofwar210

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Knightsofwar210site
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 02:54:00 PM »
oh...you sould have bout 0603 leds because the leds you bought are kinda big for the psp unless you are putting them in the UMD drive, do you need links to the correct leds?

Screw 0603 I've been trying to solder those things for over 3 months and I still can't solder them, what's wrong with the leds i bought? I'm just wondering. Which blue 3mm leds should I get?

Oh and 3mm leds fit fine in the triggers, you just have to dremal it just right.

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 02:56:48 PM »

You said you connect 1 led and only 1 lights, and when you connect two, none light. There is no problem with the first scenario is there? Unless you made a typo or I read wrong. As for your second problem, are you putting them series or parallel?

You should also learn to solder 0603 leds otherwise you won't get very far with modding. Nothing wrong with your leds, probably your wiring. UNLESS there is not enough voltage coming out of the speaker, in which case get an amp.

Sig by Kenshinffx - Thanks!

Offline Knightsofwar210

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Knightsofwar210site
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 03:01:02 PM »

You said you connect 1 led and only 1 lights, and when you connect two, none light. There is no problem with the first scenario is there? Unless you made a typo or I read wrong. As for your second problem, are you putting them series or parallel?

You should also learn to solder 0603 leds otherwise you won't get very far with modding. Nothing wrong with your leds, probably your wiring. UNLESS there is not enough voltage coming out of the speaker, in which case get an amp.

When I connect one led to the speaker it lights up, when I connect 2 none of them light up, One speaker will be a series of 4 leds and the there speaker a series of 5 leds, (I lost 3 leds on the carpet >.<) I do know how to solder 0603's the only problem I have with them is that they break very easily when I try to fit them inside the psp :-( Maby I'll connect them up and see if they all light up when I put music on.

Offline treemty

• l,,l METAL l,,l
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Will mod for food
    • the1337group.com
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 03:01:39 PM »

also the leads going to the leds are huge so you have to make sure they are not shorting

Offline Knightsofwar210

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Knightsofwar210site
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 03:06:18 PM »
also the leads going to the leds are huge so you have to make sure they are not shorting

Yeah I'm being careful with those, nothing's touching anything there not supposed to either so I don't really know what's going on :-(

Offline Knightsofwar210

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Knightsofwar210site
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 03:10:16 PM »
Hmmm.. it looks like it works but when I connect another one so there are 2 connected the lights get very dim. This is a problem. You can barely see it but the second and the first do light up but they aren't very bright at all.

Offline Knightsofwar210

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Knightsofwar210site
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 03:26:36 PM »
What can I do? Where can I get an Amp?

Offline RoBot1ks

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • 1 r n00ber
    • Myspace
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009, 03:30:26 PM »
The 0603 leds break? Or do the solder joints break. Use flux if you aren't already. I do not use lead free solder. Solder with lead is the best IMO. It holds stronger.
Just don't get hyped up about not getting it soldered right. Practice makes perfect

Be careful when placing the 0603's. They aren't steel

Good Luck,
RoBo

Offline Knightsofwar210

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Knightsofwar210site
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2009, 03:48:56 PM »
The 0603 leds break? Or do the solder joints break. Use flux if you aren't already. I do not use lead free solder. Solder with lead is the best IMO. It holds stronger.
Just don't get hyped up about not getting it soldered right. Practice makes perfect

Be careful when placing the 0603's. They aren't steel

Good Luck,
RoBo

Yeah it's the solder points that break, I've been trying for 3 months so that's why I finally got some 3mm ones but when you connect 2 or more of them they become very dim. what can I do about that?

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2009, 04:27:24 PM »
How are they wired?

this:

or this:

(parallel or series... If you don't know what that means, look it up.)

Offline Knightsofwar210

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Knightsofwar210site
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 04:31:28 PM »
HOLY CRAP!!! I knew there was something wrong with my wiring but I couldn't figure out what, thanks man!

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2009, 04:49:17 PM »
Sure. you're welcome. Just remember to wire in parallel.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal