Author Topic: Halfway through first mods need some help (Pics)  (Read 1090 times)

Offline Mr. Corpsey

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
Halfway through first mods need some help (Pics)
« on: January 11, 2009, 10:24:09 PM »
First I'd like to say this site is great and help tremendously in my modding. This is my first time doing anything hardware wise to my psp besides faceplate swapping. I'm not new to modding though I have a bunch of soldering experience.

Just a few quick questions:
- Will three millimeter leds from radioshack work for the direct connection sound reactive LED mod? I'm not worried about them fitting, just want to make sure they can be powered by the speakers without draining battery life. They will be yellow for the triggers and i'm not sure what color for the UMD ring of light, I'm open to suggestions.

-I did the USB charge mod and tested it and it works, but I'm worried it will fry something, is the voltage the same as the AC wall power plug?

Here are the mods I'm doing if you're interested
-USB Charge (Done)
-Direct Contact Sound Trigger LED's. (1/2 Done, just have to buy the LED's)
-UMD Door Ring of Light with sound reactive LED's. (1/2 Done, Just need LED's)

I'm using yellow/gold in the triggers, and I haven't decided what for the ROL, so I'm open to suggestions.
PICS:

Offline rceckspurt13

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
Re: Halfway through first mods need some help (Pics)
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 11:15:52 PM »
Yes the speaker can power 3mm with no problem. In fact it will work a 10mm too. Anyway, I would also go with yellow in the umd door. Or mabey red?

And yes the psp gets exactly the same volts through the USB as the ac. Both get 5v. Im told that it wont even fry anything if you plug the usb and the ac in at the same time. Ive tried it  but i wouldent suggest leaving i that way for long. I mostly only charge mine with the USB. USB charging takes longer though but I think it is worth it in the long run.
Any Questions? Please Contact Me: rceckspurt13@gmail.com

Offline PhenomenalDesigns

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 11:39:52 PM »
Since you need help with the colour Id say for the ROL go for the same colour as the triggers, if you mix and match colours in the PSP it doesnt look right

And nice for a first mod too, my first mod, I did USB Charge, i destroyed the motherboard...

Hoi! Pinoy ako!

Offline blackburn

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Xbox 360 Enthusiast and JTAGer
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 11:22:24 AM »
yeah i do USB charge to all the PSPs i mod even if they dont ask for it. IMO its better for the battery because its more like a "trickle charge"

All Sigs Made by ME!

Offline Mr. Corpsey

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 07:25:32 PM »
Thanks for the hep and input guys. I appreciate it. Though I probably won't be able to get anything else done till atleast sunday because of wrestling this week, I have three tournaments and a bunch of weight to lose so I can't get out to radioshack at the time being.

And I was afraid of ruining my mobo or USB jack because I've never soldered to those tiny as USB pins before and I have a POS soldering tip that is half missing, I should have changed it a year ago. I accidently bridged the two pins next to the power pin but I got it cleaned up real nice and it works perfectly now. That sucks that you ruined your mobo, you gotta be real careful with these things man.

And I guess Yellow will be the best choice, I might try a couple of combinations though.

Offline rceckspurt13

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 11:19:07 PM »
yeah I think in your case yellow is the best choice. Sometimes having all the same color can be boring though. Like when I was planning mine my ideal colors were orange and green.

Anyway good luck. With wrestling and your psp mod.
Any Questions? Please Contact Me: rceckspurt13@gmail.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal