Author Topic: PSP settings seem to be permenant!  (Read 1904 times)

Offline thearkman2009

• Registered BST
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Designing Innovative Mods
    • SteelROMs
PSP settings seem to be permenant!
« on: February 10, 2009, 10:48:20 PM »
OK, I have been working at this for a while now, but still cant figure out this probem.  I think I know what it might be, but I want to be corrected if I am wrong.

I am looking to fully downgrade to 1.50, then back up to 5.00 M33-6, but heres the thing.

It works, sure, but somehow it always seems to know my settings for 5.00 M33, even after a format of the flash partitions and their contents, like it never forgot them.  I was hopeing to completely start fresh from 1.50, then go to 5.00 M33 and have it as if the PSP had never seen a higher firmware.  It remembers my nickname, security settings, almost all my preferences, and the same Network Connection, name and all, as was used a LONG time ago, even if I delete it, then do the reinstall, it still shows up!  Where the HECK is it getting this info?  ID Storage that 1.50 downgrade does not touch?

I want to know, because if I use this to unbrick or down/upgrade other peoples PSPs, I dont want them getting my info onto their PSP.

Offline pspupgrade

• Club AM VIP
  • King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Bother Bother Bother
    • PSP Upgrade
Re: PSP settings seem to be permenant!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 07:00:23 AM »
It's all stored on your magic memory stick. That's why it keeps popping up. I downgraded my friend's PSP once and it still had the settings. Just ignore it, there's not much you can do, and each time you downgrade just restore to factory defaults.
It's the basics that bring us down.

Offline thearkman2009

• Registered BST
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +2/-0
    • SteelROMs
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 03:12:42 AM »
If thats the case, where are the settings stored?  I dont ever remember loading any personal settings on the MMS.  If they are simple files, then I should just be able to replace them with ones that DONT have my settings.  Should be pretty simple.  (helps keep installs clean, I find that important)

Offline pspupgrade

• Club AM VIP
  • King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Bother Bother Bother
    • PSP Upgrade
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 05:46:12 AM »
If thats the case, where are the settings stored?  I dont ever remember loading any personal settings on the MMS.  If they are simple files, then I should just be able to replace them with ones that DONT have my settings.  Should be pretty simple.  (helps keep installs clean, I find that important)
Well, when you're making your own Magic Memory Stick, you have to run that installer on your PSP. It's that installer that copies the settings to the memory stick.
    You could just download a pre-made MMS.... They're quite easy to find on Youtube.

Offline thearkman2009

• Registered BST
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +2/-0
    • SteelROMs
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 06:02:59 PM »
Ok, so I take it that it was UPMS that copied the settings.  I can reset all settings back to default, remove all personal settings and things, make the new Pandora MS, and then put my settings back on, and I will have a fresh Pandora MS install on the MS.

That would be much nicer, and cleaner if I forget to change all the settings when fixing someone elses PSP.

Offline pspupgrade

• Club AM VIP
  • King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Bother Bother Bother
    • PSP Upgrade
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 12:15:19 AM »
Ok, so I take it that it was UPMS that copied the settings.  I can reset all settings back to default, remove all personal settings and things, make the new Pandora MS, and then put my settings back on, and I will have a fresh Pandora MS install on the MS.

That would be much nicer, and cleaner if I forget to change all the settings when fixing someone elses PSP.
Yes, that should work.

Offline thearkman2009

• Registered BST
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +2/-0
    • SteelROMs
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 07:26:03 PM »
Cool.  I will work on that tomorrow.  thanks for the info.

Admins, you can delete this thread.  thanks for the help

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal