Author Topic: About to do my first Mod [Housing Replacement]  (Read 2727 times)

Offline Shoyz

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
About to do my first Mod [Housing Replacement]
« on: February 14, 2009, 02:23:23 PM »
I bought myself the Gold Bape DS Housing off of DealExtreme.

My DS is currently White, nothing wrong with the housing as of yet. I plan on following this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRzTgfo2PsM

Few Questions:

1) Anything I should know before I start (Such as a really gentle area I'd probably break)?

2) Will the Tri-wing screwdriver be able to unscrew the screws with 4 prongs?

3) Is there anything I should do as well as replacing the housing, since I'm going to have the thing opened anyways (easily done, no soldering kinds of things)?

3) Is it possible to replace the housing without completely taking the DS apart, or at least just the top of it (with the decal if it were limited edition)?

As well as any suggestions on what I should swap, whether it be completely to make it look like an authentic one, or if I should mix-match and half it be part white and part gold (Like having white buttons).

Thanks!

Offline JUGGALOO

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: About to do my first Mod [Housing Replacement]
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 07:37:04 PM »
You want to be very careful with the top screen ribbon cable.You'll want to get the right screwdriver for the non triwing screws or you'll mess them up.Theres 5 of them on the bottom half and 4 on the upper.As long as your careful with the ribbon and route the mic and wi-fi wires the same as when you take it apart it's not a hard install.Theres no way to replace the case without taking it all apart unless you just want to replace the very top cover of the top screen.

Offline MARIOPARTY53

• I DONT FAIL
  • BANNED
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pc Gaming Rules
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 06:50:58 PM »
ok
first the ds top screen, go check the topic "A guide for Ds top screens"
and dont remove the touch screen cuz it dosnt need to come out
second yes it will
third i cant thibnk of any
third(again) uhh no you have to take the whole thing in peices and you can just put the top on by just rominvg 4 screws
However today I was brutally raped by a door handle, and none of my friends helped me up off the floor after ten minutes, instead they all teabaged me, all 10 of them...

Offline Shoyz

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 11:37:26 AM »
ok
first the ds top screen, go check the topic "A guide for Ds top screens"
and dont remove the touch screen cuz it dosnt need to come out
second yes it will
third i cant thibnk of any
third(again) uhh no you have to take the whole thing in peices and you can just put the top on by just rominvg 4 screws

Thanks for the 4 screws tip.
Sadly, the Triwing screwdriver -can't- take out the cross screws, meaning I had to spend literally 1 hour scraping the screws apart until they were able to be pulled out.
Then I find out the replacement top is a big different in size of the official Top, so the screws don't line up.

One hour later (2 total, or more), I finally managed to get the screws in by putting them in diagonally. The top pops out a little more than the bottom, but overall, it's a really pretty mix :D

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 12:54:18 PM »
Sadly, the Triwing screwdriver -can't- take out the cross screws, meaning I had to spend literally 1 hour scraping the screws apart until they were able to be pulled out.
Not to be mean, but common sense says a certain type of screwdriver won't work on ANOTHER type of screw.

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 03:14:56 PM »
O_O Agreed with Kicks. Don't you have a Phillips screwdriver lying around somewhere? Was it really necessary to take them out with a triwing screwdriver?

Sig by Kenshinffx - Thanks!

Offline Shoyz

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 12:38:53 PM »
O_O Agreed with Kicks. Don't you have a Phillips screwdriver lying around somewhere? Was it really necessary to take them out with a triwing screwdriver?

I ordered a Cross screwdriver, but after 25 days (before it was even processed, afterwards it takes another 2-3 to ship), I decided it would never get here, so I canceled the order.. I had been dying to replace the housing, or at least the top, and since I wasn't going to get that screwdriver for another few weeks, I figured I'd just get those suckers out one way or another.

As for the common sense bit, up until the point that I got my Triwing, I never knew the shape of the 3 'blades'. I figured it would be like a Cross screwdriver, just with one of the 'blades' missing (blocking a cross from unscrewing it). Turns out, they were diagonal from eachother, which makes a bit more sense, but that explains why I thought a Triwing screwdriver would work (It'd fit 3 of the 4 holes, and I'd just put extra force into it). Either way, it worked in the end.

I will be waiting until my new order (A Phillips #00 40x, which I assume will work) hopefully arrives before replacing anything other than the top cover, though.  :laughing:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 12:49:01 PM by Shoyz »

Offline Shoyz

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 12:53:41 PM »
For any curious eyes:

A few pictures of it (Sorry about the quality, my camera is missing).

And this is the DS my replacement housing was of:

Looks a lot better in real life, too! <:

Offline Tri-edge

• I found Nemo!!
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Azure knight
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 02:08:50 PM »
so it's like half white half gold? that's pretty cool  :clap:

Offline Shoyz

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 05:24:56 PM »
so it's like half white half gold? that's pretty cool  :clap:

Everything's still white except for the top cover, which is gold with the white decal (Matches perfectly with the rest of the white).

Once I get the philips #00 I plan on replacing the bottom half and the buttons with the Gold peices, so only the inside covers, L/R triggers, and those two peices (one of which has the power/charge indicators) will be white.

Gorgeous mix. <:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal