Author Topic: Watercooling  (Read 2658 times)

Offline DubbleDutch

• BlietZ Modding
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +3/-0

Watercooling
« on: April 22, 2009, 12:23:27 PM »
Does anyone have any experience or info about this?
I want watercooling in my pc, and i DON'T want a prefabricated system

i made up a list of parts that i'm planning to get. The only thing i need is a professional to look at it :P and tell me what i still have to order, and maybe some change

CPU Block: Zalman ZM-WB4 Gold
http://www.salland.eu/?redirect=@L2NvbnRlbnQvcHJvZHVjdGluZm8ucGhwP3BpZD0zNjU3Nw==

Vid Card cooling (2x) For GTX280: EK Water Blocks EK-FC280
http://www.salland.eu/?redirect=@L2NvbnRlbnQvcHJvZHVjdGluZm8ucGhwP3BpZD02NTY1NA==

Pump: Swiftech MCP350
http://www.salland.eu/?redirect=@L2NvbnRlbnQvcHJvZHVjdGluZm8ucGhwP3BpZD0xMTM2Mg==

Radiator (2x) 1 behind CPU Cooler, and 1 behind vid card coolers: HW Labs Black ICE GT Stealth 120 XFlow Black
http://www.salland.eu/?redirect=@L2NvbnRlbnQvcHJvZHVjdGluZm8ucGhwP3BpZD00MjUwMg==

Reservoir: Swiftech MCRES-MICRO
http://www.salland.eu/?redirect=@L2NvbnRlbnQvcHJvZHVjdGluZm8ucGhwP3BpZD0yOTM2Nw==

Tube: Alphacool Hose PUR 8/6mm UV-Active Green
http://www.salland.eu/?redirect=@L2NvbnRlbnQvcHJvZHVjdGluZm8ucGhwP3BpZD0yNjI4OQ==

Liquid: Thermaltake UV Sensitive Coolant
http://www.salland.eu/?redirect=@L2NvbnRlbnQvcHJvZHVjdGluZm8ucGhwP3BpZD0zMTExNg==

Is this right? or is it in the wrong order?
---Pump----Resevoir----CPU----Radiator----Vid Cards----Radiator----

Can anyone give me some info about water cooling etc.. or post changes i should make in my setup.
or a site which have good info about water cooling.
thanx :)

To all of you crying about lag and kicks, remember… when Jesus died, took him 3 days to respawn. Now THAT is lag.

Offline injungleist

• Club AM VIP
  • Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • mod your face off.
Re: Watercooling
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 12:29:38 PM »
im not a pro but did you think of something to monitor the temp. other than that it looks like a great setup. that's similar to what i want to do.
thx gamerdude767
trades w/ blazinkaos
purchases from sniper (fast shipping)

Offline Tec_

• EL-Wire King
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • EL Wire King
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 12:53:59 PM »
well what would you like to know?

there is nothing wrong with your system. but im not a fan of your CPU block, or the pump. (im not saying there is anything wrong with them im just not crazy about them maybe look at some of the EK's or Danger Den)

you are aware that you dont need a res unless you want it for looks. you can use a T line and save your self some room.

have you thought about a fill port or a drain port?

why the two radiators? why not just one 2 by 120. i have never seen a loop that splits up the radiators in way you have them split. im assuming there is a reason for that. (see below) i have seen numerous radiators used before, but they are ether one after another, or they had 2 pumps and were running two loops

and for your loop you can run in that order, but the common way would be to go

--res---pump---rad---rad---cpu---gpu---

or

--rad---rad---res---pump---cpu---gpu---

*EDIT*
i am crazy and i found a source that should help you out

So, you are a little better armed than when you began - you know your parts, you know how they're measured so you don't end up with the wrong ones, and you understand the basic concepts at work inside of your system. Time to go out and buy stuff, right?

Well, sort of. Before you go anywhere, you should probably think of how you'll put it all together. See, there's a funny little catch to all of this - though it seems like the traditional model of Pump -> Block -> Rad -> Res is that way for a reason, it actually has little effect.

Despite one part of your loop getting what seems to be slightly preferential cooling treatment (right after the radiator), the overall water temperature won't change much at all. Why? Well, a closed system will always reach a state of equilibrium. The cooling from the radiator will draw heat from the entire system by convection and conduction, as well as other topics that are well above the scope of this guide. Suffice it to say that though your CPU might get a half a degree cooler by putting it directly after your radiator - but if it's even that much, I'd be surprised.

source
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cooling/2007/08/22/watercooling_101/1
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 01:15:30 PM by Tec_ »

Offline DubbleDutch

• BlietZ Modding
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +3/-0

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 07:21:32 AM »
I just bought these parts :)
for pretty cheap :)

1* HW Labs Black Ice Extreme II radiator (€30,00)
1* HW Labs Black Ice Extreme radiator (€ 20)
1* Swiftech MCRES-MICRO (€10)

So total 60 euro for that ;) and i got some rubber O rings and some other parts ;)

The resevoir is not totally clear anymore, little bit white, but some cleaning whould change that :P
Now time to order the other parts :)

To all of you crying about lag and kicks, remember… when Jesus died, took him 3 days to respawn. Now THAT is lag.

Offline psp339

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 11:03:22 AM »
I would recommend getting a D-Tek or Swiftech GTZ CPU block because those are known to perform better than the zalman ones. The pump may not be enough so I would recommend getting a Swiftech MCP-655. If you cannot buy one, you need to get a pump top for the MCP-350 to increase flow and use 1/2" tubing. For tubing, it's better to get  7/16" tubing. The thermaltake coolant is a waste of money. You should make your own coolant with distilled water, PT nuke, a drop of dish soap, and UV dye.

Offline PsychoticWolf

• C.H.A.O.S Where art Thou.
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +27/-0
  • Team CYBER
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 02:23:17 PM »
Dude DD. Check out danger den.(not there Kits but the parts)You don't want stiff tubing.again Check out www.DangerDen.com for your parts. that is were I get my stuff for people who ask for Water cooling.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 02:27:37 PM by W32.Sasser.Worm.A »

For the awesome Sigs Thanks goes to: Blazinkaos, Chef Boyardee
O o
/¯/________________________/
{ IMMA FIRIN' MA LAZAAAAAR!!!!!!
\_\¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\
RyanF: lol im not that sick.  I don't feel like licking the s*** off a 40 year old guy's ass
RyanF: you want me to lick your crusty old buns dont you?
2/20/2012 at 08:55:34 PM

Offline DubbleDutch

• BlietZ Modding
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +3/-0

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 02:28:05 PM »
well, i looked at Danger-Den
but you know what

for 2 GTX280 cooling blocks i'll have to pay 272 euro!! (excl shipping)
and for those blocks i'm going to order i will have to pay 140 euro, Which is a major difference.

and my gpu's don't heat up that fast ;) so it's just for the looks and reduced sound

Offline PsychoticWolf

• Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +27/-0
  • Team CYBER
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 02:32:37 PM »
well, i looked at Danger-Den
but you know what

for 2 GTX280 cooling blocks i'll have to pay 272 euro!! (excl shipping)
and for those blocks i'm going to order i will have to pay 140 euro, Which is a major difference.

and my gpu's don't heat up that fast ;) so it's just for the looks and reduced sound

lol Okay. Thats cool.  Its just for Cooling I try to go with the best. lol but that's cool. Just don't get the tubing you posted its to stiff. Nvm that tubing is good. at first glance it looked like the crapy tubing most places pawn off as good tubing
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 02:35:00 PM by W32.Sasser.Worm.A »

O o
RyanF: lol im not that sick.  I don't feel like licking the s*** off a 40 year old guy's ass

Offline DubbleDutch

• BlietZ Modding
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +3/-0

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 02:39:25 PM »
hmm ok ;)

anyway i might get that other pump (MCP-655) it's only 10 euro's more so ;)
And about the tubing i might get another one (what do you advice) has to be 1/2 because of the reservoir etc... i already bought ;)
and it has to be green! :P (or clear and green liquid)

Is the CPU-Block ok? or do you advice another one?

Offline PsychoticWolf

• Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +27/-0
  • Team CYBER
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 03:05:48 PM »
http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/product_info.php?product_id=664 an Idea of a better CPU water Block. But the stuff you picked is descent.

O o

Offline DubbleDutch

• BlietZ Modding
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +3/-0

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 03:20:22 PM »
hmm i saw that one
but that one is BIIIIG O.o

anyway i'm planning to have this all finished within this week ;) (have time for another week) But my friends are coming over here for a lanparty so if i have watercooling then it would be awesome (H)

Offline psp339

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 04:14:48 PM »
If you can find 7/16" tubing get it. It's tighter on 1/2" barbs so there's a less chance of leaks. Get a D-Tek Fuzion v2 or Swiftech GTZ CPU block if you can find one.

Offline DubbleDutch

• BlietZ Modding
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +3/-0

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal