Author Topic: I need help lighting a jewel how do i get the leds to fit???????  (Read 2455 times)

Offline ryan

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • someday ill mod porsches, for now, PSP's
Well okay so the problem is i just got a new jewel for my slim and I wanted to do a really cool led set up to light it.  The problem is I have since come to realize that there isnt even room for a piece of paper between the umd door and a umd when one is put in.  I was very surprised since I have seen so many led lit jewels.  But after looking at some a little closer it seems a lot of people scrap the umd drive or just dont use it in order to have a nicely lit jewel.  Dont get me wrong im all for CFW but Im not willing to give up my umd drive or the ability to use it.  So the only thing i can think of is to take my dremel and make some very, very, verrrrry small slots inbetween the edge of the jewel and the umd door and stick them in there and then maybe etch some grooves on the inside of the door for some 30 awg.  However I dont want to crack my jewel or my umd door so if anyone has some less destructive ideas or solutions Id love to hear from you especially, anyone who has been able to accomplish this already.  Thanks for looking I know that was a lot to read.
                                                   ryan aka crzywitboy3

Offline Blazinkaos

• Technology Revolution
  • Art & Theme Team
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
  • Time Passes Will You
    • ROOKIE BUILDERS DISCORD
Re: I need help lighting a jewel how do i get the leds to fit???????
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 11:15:27 PM »
You do have enough room i have done the ring of light in a slime and was able to fit my leds but i never drilled into the ring dnt do that to your jewel. Just drill a lil slot on the edge of the umd where the jewel will be placec. Now for the wire i dnt use 30gauge i use much small but if it was me try organizing the wire to side of  umd away from the center.

*Thanks Modders/Friends:Ghost_Death, gr8npwrfl, Blizzrad, Kenshinffx.
*Thanks 802Chives for the Art position!

Offline ryan

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 04:49:41 PM »
You do have enough room i have done the ring of light in a slime and was able to fit my leds but i never drilled into the ring dnt do that to your jewel. Just drill a lil slot on the edge of the umd where the jewel will be placec. Now for the wire i dnt use 30gauge i use much small but if it was me try organizing the wire to side of  umd away from the center.
I dont understand, you think I should drill into the actual umd's or the umd door.  And I dont know how you set yours up but I looked at the umd door when it was on the psp with the hole cut but no jewel and it was right up against the umd when I had one in my psp.  I just dont wanna have my leds being squished by a umd when one is in and i dont want the leds so far off to the sides that the jewel isn't lit if i have a game in.

Offline Blazinkaos

• Technology Revolution
  • Art & Theme Team
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
  • Time Passes Will You
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 10:58:17 PM »
Ok look at the pic where the red is at is where you jewel is being place so all that plastic there is going to be gone. Now where the blue is place is where youll shave down the plastic some for your led to fit down against the jewel. Its very simple ryan you seen the slim i did but i dnt have pics of ho i placed the leds but this is what i did to fit my leds in with the ring of light for mine. Is that help some what better.

Offline ryan

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 09:30:40 AM »
Ok look at the pic where the red is at is where you jewel is being place so all that plastic there is going to be gone. Now where the blue is place is where youll shave down the plastic some for your led to fit down against the jewel. Its very simple ryan you seen the slim i did but i dnt have pics of ho i placed the leds but this is what i did to fit my leds in with the ring of light for mine. Is that help some what better.

Okay yeah thats kinda what i was thinking of doing.  So if i wanted to put more than the one led then i should just shave down the plastic in the spots I want to put them.  I was thinking of puting 3 or 4 around the edge of the jewel.  Now the only other thing is the wire.  I am using 30 awg and im afraid if i just wire it and put the wire up against the door that it wont shut or will not shut properly.  I just saw the post a few up from mine about the blue and purple led psp that he used magnet wire which looked very thin.  Should I maybe try using that.  Because up untill i read that post I was under the impression that magnet wire, for whatever reason, was not right for this application.  Actually I could of sworn one of the AM tutorials said that.  Let me know what you think and thanks for your help.
                                                        crzywitboy3

Offline Blazinkaos

• Technology Revolution
  • Art & Theme Team
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
  • Time Passes Will You
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 11:16:18 AM »
Yes if you want to place more leds do that. Then for the wires if you really want to go with 30 magnetic wire any smaller i think would be ahrd for you to handle. But many ppl have had success using kynar wire 30 gauge on slims. It all about the organizing it.

Offline ryan

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 07:03:25 PM »
Yes if you want to place more leds do that. Then for the wires if you really want to go with 30 magnetic wire any smaller i think would be ahrd for you to handle. But many ppl have had success using kynar wire 30 gauge on slims. It all about the organizing it.

Yeah I just wish i had some space to organize in.  But i think I might try the magnet wire if i can find some.  But what problems do you think i would have?  I'm a pretty experienced solderer.

Offline EliteGamer83

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Trusted Seller! Slim Modder! Graphics Artist!
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 07:10:28 PM »

Yeah I just wish i had some space to organize in.  But i think I might try the magnet wire if i can find some.  But what problems do you think i would have?  I'm a pretty experienced solderer.

You can lead it into the area under the memory slot, there's ALOT of room in there so just lead all your wires into that compartment and coil them/place your chips/transistor/resistors in there.

You can find wire all over, if you live in the US I reccomend just gonig to radio shack to save on shipping, I have one 5 miles from my house and they have alot of goodies there lol. If not just try google shopping and ebay, if you live in Europe try farnell.com, I never looked to see if they had wire there but I'm pretty sure they do, they have everything there as far as buying in Europe.

Here's a good buy: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2036277

Most people I know use kynar including me which I think is a bit better as it comes in lots of colors and makes for easy organizing and remembering what goes to what.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 07:12:59 PM by EliteGamer83 »

Offline Blazinkaos

• Technology Revolution
  • Art & Theme Team
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
  • Time Passes Will You
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 09:47:25 PM »
Yea the chip and that shouldnt be hard. The wire ryan from looking at other ppl using kynar wire it didnt get in the way as long as they organized the wire in the UMD back area so im sure you should be fine and what ever you feel is conferable of wire to use go with what you want.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 09:49:03 PM by Blazinkaos »

Offline ryan

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 05:15:10 PM »
Yea the chip and that shouldnt be hard. The wire ryan from looking at other ppl using kynar wire it didnt get in the way as long as they organized the wire in the UMD back area so im sure you should be fine and what ever you feel is conferable of wire to use go with what you want.
[/quote

Yeah i have room for the chip I guess I am just going to have to get creative with making the leds and the wire fit in the umd drive without hindering the ability of the door to shut properly with an umd in it.  But thanks for your input guys.

Offline Blazinkaos

• Technology Revolution
  • Art & Theme Team
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
  • Time Passes Will You
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 06:25:02 PM »
No problem ryan if you need any thing else just holla at me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal