Author Topic: Need ideas for a GBC mod...  (Read 5248 times)

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
Need ideas for a GBC mod...
« on: May 26, 2009, 06:33:30 PM »
Hey guys. I picked up a couple GBCs, and I decided that I am gonna put one into a calculator. Thing is though, I want everything stealthed, but they don't make calculators that big :( I want it so I can use the calculator buttons to play the GBC. So any ideas on how I could pull this off? The two main issues are the game and the batteries. Anyone have any ideas? I found one calculator, that was ALMOST perfect. It runs off AA batteries and everything. But, It was ALMOST wide enough, and ALMOST long enough, and ALMOST, if not just thick enough. That means I have to somehow make the mobo smaller. Or relocate something. Or think of something completely different. Any ideas, anybody?

Sig by Kenshinffx - Thanks!

Offline treemty

• l,,l METAL l,,l
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Will mod for food
    • the1337group.com
Re: Need ideas for a GBC mod...
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 06:39:04 PM »
ti-83-84

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 06:39:45 PM »
Just mod it into a TI-8x calculator. They've got enough space I'm sure.

I'll do that once school is over...because I have a buildup of school calculators O:)

Offline EliteGamer83

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Trusted Seller! Slim Modder! Graphics Artist!
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 06:40:31 PM »
Maybe take components off and relocate them to spots where they fit then wire them back to the mobo with wire.

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 06:41:58 PM »
Maybe take components off and relocate them to spots where they fit then wire them back to the mobo with wire.

Tried that... My desoldering skills fail. I ruined a mobo already desoldering. I was thinking of doing it to a ti-83/84, but those things are friggin expensive. And I'm not sure if I'll even use one next year. I'll just look like a massive moron for having a graphing calculator for gr. 9 math -.-

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 07:18:16 PM »
I've needed a graphing calculator since 7th grade math...
And they're not that expensive, I've got like 3.

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 07:33:17 PM »
I've needed a graphing calculator since 7th grade math...
And they're not that expensive, I've got like 3.

O_o wtf are you guys doing? Idk I'm in Canada too, so... And my teacher's not exactly the brightest...

Offline alentris

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Bleep-Bloop.
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 03:40:39 PM »
Hey guys. I picked up a couple GBCs, and I decided that I am gonna put one into a calculator. Thing is though, I want everything stealthed, but they don't make calculators that big :( I want it so I can use the calculator buttons to play the GBC. So any ideas on how I could pull this off? The two main issues are the game and the batteries. Anyone have any ideas? I found one calculator, that was ALMOST perfect. It runs off AA batteries and everything. But, It was ALMOST wide enough, and ALMOST long enough, and ALMOST, if not just thick enough. That means I have to somehow make the mobo smaller. Or relocate something. Or think of something completely different. Any ideas, anybody?
I've actually just about finished mine, I'll pm you with schematics and whatnot once I get a new GBC (the inside of the GBC is VERY VERY touchy)

They've got enough space I'm sure.
That's a lie. There is a zero possibility of not modifying the case to accomplish that. I'll post pics of mine later... If someone has a cheap GBC to sell Me so I can finish this #%@% thing, I would be in much gratitude.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 03:43:16 PM by alentris »

Thanks to HiddenVenom for the sig!

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 03:51:00 PM »
Hmm, is there anything extruding?

Offline alentris

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Bleep-Bloop.
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 04:04:59 PM »
Hmm, is there anything extruding?
I'm Uploading a vid to youtube now, I'll embed it once it's done. But no, not really...
Also, I know I talk like a motorboat in the vid, I have a super-fast voice. Just... don't poke fun at it :D

I g2g to drums, It's processing now, just give it a while and it will work... So, here it is:

GBC
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 04:21:33 PM by alentris »

Offline ra1n

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • I'm not like other girls ^_^
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 04:56:01 PM »
ti-8x are quite a lot to buy just to rip it apart and put a gbc in

getting old is mandatory growing up is optional.

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 05:02:36 PM »
Alentris:
You extended the friggin screen!? Holy crap how long did it take, lmao. Also, I was thinking about using AAA batteries, as I knew they were 1.5v, same as AA batteries, but I wasn't sure about the current. As for the power plug and headphone jack, you removed those and the GBC still works? I removed the power plug and it just died -.- Maybe cause I fail at desoldering. Any tips on desoldering the damn thing? I got a solder pump and braid, but it's cheap stuff from radioshack. =\ Also, how do you push the power button?

ra1n:
Yeah that's what I decided too. No way I'm blowing like 130 bucks for a mod that MIGHT work.

Offline alentris

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Bleep-Bloop.
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 05:22:47 PM »
Alentris:
You extended the friggin screen!? Holy crap how long did it take, lmao.
Not actually, I removed ALL of the foam with an exacto knife, allowing it to stretch out.

Also, I was thinking about using AAA batteries, as I knew they were 1.5v, same as AA batteries, but I wasn't sure about the current.
The joy of a multimeter :D

As for the power plug and headphone jack, you removed those and the GBC still works? I removed the power plug and it just died -.- Maybe cause I fail at desoldering. Any tips on desoldering the damn thing? I got a solder pump and braid, but it's cheap stuff from radioshack.
????? Serious?? Maybe that's my issue... It could be also the power fuse, located right next to the two of those. It should be labeled "F1" and it's quite large.

Also, how do you push the power button?
:D The power button is always in "on", but there is only now a dip switch on the negative wire, controlling whether or not current goes through. To avoid suspicion, though, Once i finish testing, I'm going to replace it with a Magnetic Reed Switch.

ra1n:
Yeah that's what I decided too. No way I'm blowing like 130 bucks for a mod that MIGHT work.
XD actually, $85 USD... But still, It can be a broken one, All it has to do is have intact pins on the board, So it can regulate current (if you know how a button works, and I assume you do). I got a broken one from my friend for free, so I said, "HELL WITH IT!!! Let's put in a gameboy color for all those boring math classes". :D . The felt is also completely hidden once I put the screen cover on the back. (If you've ever used one, you'd know what I mean)

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 05:27:22 PM »
No clue what felt you're talking about is XD Yeah, 85 USD, but in Canada, it's 120CAD D:

Ah, so your gameboy doesn't turn on anymore either? I think it's because the power plug is ABSOLUETLY necessary for the damn thing to turn on. also,  you know that little chip off in the corner that you removed? I think that's needed too. I removed mine to relocate it, and it wouldn't work anymore. After reinstalling it, it worked like a charm. But then the power plug came off, and it's now officially dead.

As for your power switch, you mean you're basically bypassing the switch, and directly controlling it ith the dip switch? A magnetic reed switch is a bad idea. You'd have to hold a magnet up to the switch constantly, and I think it'd be weird if you always held a magnet next to your calc :S

I probably won't use a TI calc though, since they're friggin expensive. Instead, I'll probably use a scientific calculator that's around 10-30 bucks.

Offline alentris

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Bleep-Bloop.
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 05:33:59 PM »
No clue what felt you're talking about is XD
It's on the battery cover, and It's a kind of cloth.

also,  you know that little chip off in the corner that you removed? I think that's needed too.
It's still there, you're thinking of the wrong side, lol.

As for your power switch, you mean you're basically bypassing the switch, and directly controlling it ith the dip switch? A magnetic reed switch is a bad idea. You'd have to hold a magnet up to the switch constantly, and I think it'd be weird if you always held a magnet next to your calc :S
yeppers, and It works fine :D . But I guess you're right about the reed switch... I'll think of something though, just wait :D

I probably won't use a TI calc though, since they're friggin expensive. Instead, I'll probably use a scientific calculator that's around 10-30 bucks.
I guess that would work, but trust me... this is a LOT harder than it looks, and this is a SERIOUS undertaking. I've been soldering for some time now, And this was at least 6 hours of soldering. i also used over 7 feet of wire, so beware for supplies. Other than that, It's fairly straightforward, I hope you have a nice multimiter for finding pinouts, I'll be posting how I did mine once I make a fully public release.

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2009, 05:56:49 PM »
Eh pinouts aren't hard at all. Neither is the soldering. I mean, it should all be common ground, so one wire for each switch should do it. I got a multimeter, but even with my bare eyes I can see the pinouts. The hardest part of this is fitting everything. Rest is a breeze.

Offline alentris

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Bleep-Bloop.
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2009, 06:00:30 PM »
Eh pinouts aren't hard at all. Neither is the soldering. I mean, it should all be common ground, so one wire for each switch should do it. I got a multimeter, but even with my bare eyes I can see the pinouts. The hardest part of this is fitting everything. Rest is a breeze.
:\ You'll need to use a multimiter if you want to find the common ground, but I was having weird situations while using a common ground... I think it would be best to stick to an individual ground for each one...

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2009, 06:08:02 PM »
O_o if it's common ground, it should be all the same =\... I guess it's not common ground then, if they don't all work with one ground.

Offline alentris

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Bleep-Bloop.
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2009, 06:10:22 PM »
O_o if it's common ground, it should be all the same =\... I guess it's not common ground then, if they don't all work with one ground.
You are correct again, maybe there isn't a common ground on the TI-83 ...

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2009, 06:13:36 PM »
idk. The guy who did this originally (mark bowers or something? Idk he has a website) said he found the pinouts with a grounded wire. Meaning it SHOULD be common ground. Not entirely sure. Guess I'll have to check when I finally get my hands on a good calculator.

Offline alentris

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Bleep-Bloop.
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2009, 06:23:43 PM »
idk. The guy who did this originally (mark bowers or something? Idk he has a website) said he found the pinouts with a grounded wire. Meaning it SHOULD be common ground. Not entirely sure. Guess I'll have to check when I finally get my hands on a good calculator.
pshhhh... I saw that, and he never got the backplate on... I (on the other hand) DID.

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2009, 07:17:41 PM »
He got the backplate on... it was just messy. And it was more a POC, not a full-blown mod.

Offline alentris

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Bleep-Bloop.
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2009, 02:18:54 PM »
He got the backplate on... it was just messy. And it was more a POC, not a full-blown mod.
Well, It had a big chunk ripped out of the top and was NOT disguised... but still, I think one of us should be able to make a full-blown mod for this... (not just a POC, cuz we're awesome  :cool: )

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2009, 02:34:51 PM »
LOL. I want to finish this, mostly cause this one person gave me a GBC for free, and I promised I would let them try out the thing once I'm done. Also, I really want to use this in class sometime... We get like 50 minutes for tests and I do them in like 20 minutes. Last 30 minutes I am completely bored.

Offline alentris

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Bleep-Bloop.
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2009, 03:01:35 PM »
LOL. I want to finish this, mostly cause this one person gave me a GBC for free, and I promised I would let them try out the thing once I'm done. Also, I really want to use this in class sometime... We get like 50 minutes for tests and I do them in like 20 minutes. Last 30 minutes I am completely bored.
LOL agreed, but be VERY CAREFUL with the GBC, because as stated before, they are VERY heat sensitive, which is why I'm on my third...

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2009, 06:21:51 PM »
Thx for the headsup. I have heard that n64 mobos fry easily too... I wonder why.

Offline alentris

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Bleep-Bloop.
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2009, 03:28:42 PM »
Thx for the headsup. I have heard that n64 mobos fry easily too... I wonder why.
It's the fuses, as far as I know. They were probably made with a very heat sensitive substance back then... I've fried a total of 2 due to getting my soldering iron too close to them...

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2009, 08:11:11 AM »
Can you not just bridge the fuses then?

Offline alentris

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Bleep-Bloop.
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2009, 08:27:14 AM »
Can you not just bridge the fuses then?
I did, and it did work for some time, but something tells me that when I was experimenting with different possibilities for a battery pack, I put  too much power through it, effectively screwing the mobo.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal