Author Topic: Just ordered these parts to pimp my psp  (Read 4644 times)

Offline R4p1d

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
Just ordered these parts to pimp my psp
« on: July 05, 2009, 11:38:01 AM »
I'll be using a clear case in combination with blue buttons, analog, trim, triggers, memory-card protector, and alloy ring.
Don't forget the smd led's. (blue)

Yes, I realize I could have saved money by just buying the blue case combo.
But uh...Later, after I bought all the smaller parts, I realized I was missing the blue trim, so I bought a full casing to get one.  :boxed:

Now I need to order some smd led's, a camera, and a gps unit.
Going to install an internal camera & gps unit inside of my umd tray.

And a spare umd door, in case I mess one up.

And 2 spare batteries...

And an external charger

« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 06:55:51 PM by R4p1d »

Offline R4p1d

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: Just ordered these parts to pimp my psp
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 11:43:16 AM »
Why is that?

Post Merge: July 05, 2009, 11:53:21 AM
It's not impossible to unsolder the pre-existing antenna to make room for an external antenna.
You use tools like these to unsolder the antenna's: http://www.hakkousa.com/detail.asp?CID=72,223,297&PID=1509&Page=1
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 11:53:40 AM by r4p1d arr0ws »

Offline alentris

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Bleep-Bloop.
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 01:01:40 PM »
Why is that?

Post Merge: July 05, 2009, 12:53:21 PM
It's not impossible to unsolder the pre-existing antenna to make room for an external antenna.
You use tools like these to unsolder the antenna's: http://www.hakkousa.com/detail.asp?CID=72,223,297&PID=1509&Page=1
I'm almost positive that only works for the wifi antenna

Thanks to HiddenVenom for the sig!

Offline robin1989

• Site Owner - Site Maintenance & development
  • Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 02:11:01 PM »
im pretty sure that one of our members simcityltd with the help of f00 was attempting to do an internal gps and internal camera - i have no idea how it ended up though

i am not responsible for what i do or my advice

Get the iPhone 4s from Three using Quidco and recieve £109 cashback

Offline robin1989

• Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 03:23:38 PM »
just because f00 was helping doesnt mean no one else can do it - i know f00 was good but he wasn't all powerful

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 04:03:57 PM »
Yeah Alentris you can't go bashing someone saying "it's not possible" like it's a fact. I doubt you even know WHY it's not possible. So how about isntead of bashing new members and telling them something isn't possible because that's what you were told, and give him some encouragement?

Sig by Kenshinffx - Thanks!

Offline RoBot1ks

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • 1 r n00ber
    • Myspace
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 04:41:03 PM »
You can't make the GPS internal, simply because you won't recieve anything, the reciever must be outside to recieve any signal at all.
Nuff said
Unless you want to stick your gps halfway from your psp then it may work

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 05:53:24 PM »
Yeah but you can always extend the receiver, move the receiver, etc.

Offline alentris

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Bleep-Bloop.
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 09:12:28 PM »
Nuff said
Unless you want to stick your gps halfway from your psp then it may work
That's exactly what I meant, you literally cannot make an "internal" gps. You need to have a good amount of it protruding from the psp. In addition, you will need a 3 position switch to correspond with camera, gps, and usb mode.

Yeah Alentris you can't go bashing someone saying "it's not possible" like it's a fact. I doubt you even know WHY it's not possible. So how about isntead of bashing new members and telling them something isn't possible because that's what you were told, and give him some encouragement?
I'm not bashing, I'm saying that it is literally impossible to have a working gps stuck inside your usb drive. As *Fufa said, it won't recieve a signal!!

Yeah but you can always extend the receiver, move the receiver, etc.
But wouldn't that make it an external GPS?

Thanks to HiddenVenom for the sig!

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 09:55:50 PM »
LOL I'm loving this guy more and more.

Anyways it's still internal if you make the antennae external... The antennae doesn't make up the entire GPS unit you know.

Offline R4p1d

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 10:04:49 PM »
Correct, I may add an external antenna as well, but it will only be secondary for increased signal power in harsh regions.

Oh, bustinthejustin, it's called "Logic". That's the reason you probably love me so much.  :winker:

And.

That's also probably the reason alentris hates me so much.

He's just jealous.  :laughing:
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 10:07:05 PM by r4p1d arr0ws »

Offline EliteGamer83

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Trusted Seller! Slim Modder! Graphics Artist!
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 07:14:18 AM »
Dude, it would make things so much easier if you just bought the PSP GPS, took it from the housing, and threw it in the UMD drive on under the mem card area (I have no idea how thick it is). Then solder the USB wires onto USB port. 

Offline R4p1d

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 07:17:13 AM »
That's basically my intentions, but I have doubts about the thickness working, so I plan on using a 3rd party antenna.

nimityssj

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 12:16:05 AM »
Okay, now that you're through with your motivational quote, I just have to tell you this. Without an extruding part, and internal gps IS NOT POSSIBLE!!!! The signal does not pass through the psp case. 'nuff said.

He says an internal gps is impossible, but is named after a huge ass boat that carries several thousand people with an onboard nuclear reactor. nuff said.  :laughing:

btw, with all these gadgets on the market and even some TEMPEST certified stuff having internal GPS, how exactly does the PSP case block the signal? NSA has wasted all this time with expensive ass shielding and spacing to block signals when a PSP case would have sufficed? Ok, sure, but you have to tell them. I mean, they are gonna be pissed...  >> :censored: <<

Offline R4p1d

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 12:25:50 AM »
He says an internal gps is impossible, but is named after a huge ass boat that carries several thousand people with an onboard nuclear reactor. nuff said.  :laughing:

btw, with all these gadgets on the market and even some TEMPEST certified stuff having internal GPS, how exactly does the PSP case block the signal? NSA has wasted all this time with expensive ass shielding and spacing to block signals when a PSP case would have sufficed? Ok, sure, but you have to tell them. I mean, they are gonna be pissed...  >> :censored: <<

This makes us brothers you know?
I always thought I had a twin brother...

nimityssj

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2009, 12:34:23 AM »
This makes us brothers you know?
I always thought I had a twin brother...

Well, you and your toys seem cool, but that's a bit much.  :winker: I was just casually pointing out something about alentis's comments. I mean, when designers are trying to block signals from a device, there's rarely a guy who offers, "It's simple. Just cover the device in PSP cases! It really works!" The designers probably wont reply "Elementary, my dear Watson!"   :sadno:

Offline Rory

• ZOMG, A Deda!!!!!
  • Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Eyy lmao
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2009, 11:29:55 AM »
Since now. And i think a mod should clean all the BS out of here....

My friends Tomtom doesn't get a signal unless its stuck to the windscreen. I'm pretty sure it needs line of sight.
Might be different with the PSP GPS, I don't know. Test it before ripping it to pieces then finding out it doesn't work.

My first place to try would be in the glovebox in a car.

Have fun, and let us know the results :)
Quote from: IndyChav
I think that the king of spam should be immune to the punishment for posting spam everywhere, so post away Rory :tup:
Quote from: FreeK
couldnt of said it any better.

Offline RoBot1ks

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • 1 r n00ber
    • Myspace
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2009, 12:36:19 PM »
Well I'm hoping you get it to work when you do your mods.
It's not the fact that GPS signals can go through laptop cases or millions of miles down from the sky. It's how the actual PSP GPS is made. Nothing is perfect, therefore the gps may suck and not work unless out in the open.

But, that's just my opinion. Good luck  :victory:

Offline R4p1d

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2009, 01:27:51 PM »
Yes, the antenna may not be made to displace a signal through a psp casing.

But it's not impossible to replace an antenna. nuff said.  :laughing:
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 01:30:49 PM by R4p1d »

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2009, 02:34:54 PM »
ok now that I have cleaned this thread, (alentris I am disappointed in you) welcome to the site R4pId, and nimityssj. I hope you find all the help you need if this kind of flaming happen again, please let me know...

that being said, the pspgps has flaws, it was not designed to be internal, therefore the anatine needs to be replaced/reworked to be internal. NOT IMPOSIBLE.. not fun, but not impossible. now there are a few options, gps signals come from nasa maintained satellites, (remember this later) and for a device to receive a accurate gps signal, it needs clear line of sight to the sky, thats why these things are placed in windshields. no big deal, this can be done by extending the antenna outside the psp, or by leaving it inside and perforating a series of holes like a speaker in the faceplate so the signal can carry though. or DUH use a clear case. there are options out there do your research, as you are traveling in uncharted territory. and let us know how it works out. please feel free to ask any questions we will do our best..

one more note about GPS the entire system is flawed. if you are current on the news.. the whole system was designed for the us military, by nasa. well during the budget cuts a few years ago maintenance programs for these satellites were cut from the budget. nasa released a statement that the system is now beyond repair and will fail by the end of 2011. so your gps may be short lived. LOl

Offline R4p1d

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2009, 02:57:41 PM »
Yes, I read a report on that.

The satellites are not beyond repair YET, the Obama administration has already looked into this problem from what I've heard and is planning to take actions before the summer of 2010.

One of the reports I've read on this current subject state that it would be less costly to re-orbit NEW satellites, but it would take longer to build and launch the satellites as opposed to repairing the older ones.

I don't think the government can afford NOT to fix these satellites.

And in all technically, the alloy ring on the back of the psp might suffice as a good signal interceptor.

(Although, they'll probably replace the satellites all-together, with newer stuff that doesn't require maintenance as often, if ever...)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 03:10:11 PM by R4p1d »

Offline robin1989

• Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2009, 03:18:20 PM »
thats where us euros are trying to come in with the galileo project

Offline ryan0

• I EAT STUFF
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I LIEK CHEEEEZE
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2009, 12:57:00 PM »
The GPS antenna cannot be extended,well it can in theory,but,and it's a big but:

GPS antenna's are superconductors,they can pick information much better than other forms of antenna by isolating and magnifying the waves of information.These superconductors are made from various magnetic metals such as copper,neomydium,sometimes even depleted uranium which are woven together into a strand,an electrical charge is then sent through the strand,it then emits a field of ionising radiation which allows the signal to be isolated from interference such as mobile phone masts,radio broadcasts etc.
Extending the antenna with a copper or steel wire is almost futile,as the small superconductor in the GPS can pick up 1000 times more data 1000 times faster with no interference.
So technically,extending the antenna will actually decrease the performance of your gps,because it will allow interference to be picked up from what I mentioned above.

Derp.

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2009, 01:09:46 PM »
what if you replaced it with another gps antennae? is that possible?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal