Author Topic: New to PSP modding, going to start on a 2000 but have some questions  (Read 1840 times)

Offline dd409

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
    • Lockerz Invites
Hi, I'm pretty new here (I've been browsing around some of the topics).  I have no real experience hard-modding PSPs, but I do have some circuit, PCB and general EE experience.  I have a couple questions before I dive into modding:

First is a question I got mixed answers on, and I'd like to clarify: can a 3000's screen be used on a 2000's mobo, or would the 2000's mobo not recognize it as a screen?  I'd like to give my 2000 a better screen (scan lines > ghosting IMO) if it's possible.

Second, what would be some good beginner-level mods to try on it?  I'm going to give it shoulder LEDs (probably with either ultraviolet or the massively overused blue, just because they would look good with the silver 2000), and possibly the buttons as well (XO[]/\, the DPad, and the analog, all using replacement crystal buttons) with a variable resistor to control the brightness and a dip switch to turn them on/off (probably have the shoulder buttons and the other buttons independent of each other, on different switches).  I'm kinda toying with the idea of a ring of light jewel for the UMD door, but I'm not sure about that one yet.  What would be some other good mods to do?  I'd like to leave the UMD drive intact for now, but other than that I'm open.

I have a broken 1000 to salvage some parts from.  The face buttons don't really work, but most of the rest of the internal hardware should be fine (the valuable parts--the UMD drive and the screen; along with wifi, all the ports, and speakers--are still fine)

I was thinking I could put the 1000's MS slot inside the 2000 on a dip switch with the outside slot, so that I could switch between the MS slot and some sort of internal memory.  Any other suggestions?

I saw the thread on home row lighting and I'd like to do that as well, but does anyone know if there are ultraviolet 0603 LEDs?  I haven't found any yet.

Also, how would you rate the difficulty and usefulness of putting in a second analog nub?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 07:25:28 AM by dd409 »

Offline dd409

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
    • Lockerz Invites
Re: New to PSP modding, going to start on a 2000 but have some questions
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 07:26:28 AM »
Bueller?  Bueller?
 :help:

Offline psp339

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 01:10:33 AM »
1. The 3000 LCD cannot be used with PSP 2000 motherboard.
2. Some basic mods are the direct connect LEDs and LED Swaps
3. I think you could put the memory slot but I'm not sure which pin to put the switch on.

Offline dd409

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
    • Lockerz Invites
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 11:43:56 AM »
Would a 30W soldering iron be good for LEDs, and does it matter what kind of solder I use?

And as far as supplies go, where would be good places to get the LEDs?  I'd like to use ultraviolet/blacklight if they're available, but if not I'll probably go with blue.

And if I wanted to put in a second set of speakers (using some from a 1000), are there any guides to show how to do that?  Or would it be as simple as connecting/soldering the new wires onto the old ones?

Has anyone bought from this eBay seller before?
http://myworld.ebay.com/phenoptix/
They have the LEDs I need and seem legit, but I just want to be sure.

Sorry I have so many questions, but I want to make sure I have all my stuff straight before I get started.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 12:04:06 PM by dd409 »

Offline zeblon123

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 03:55:36 PM »
i personally have not but i have seen his name used on the site before, and everyone seemed really pleased.
currently playing C&C: red alert 2. lmao.

Offline psp339

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 04:14:01 PM »
Would a 30W soldering iron be good for LEDs, and does it matter what kind of solder I use?

And as far as supplies go, where would be good places to get the LEDs?  I'd like to use ultraviolet/blacklight if they're available, but if not I'll probably go with blue.

And if I wanted to put in a second set of speakers (using some from a 1000), are there any guides to show how to do that?  Or would it be as simple as connecting/soldering the new wires onto the old ones?

Has anyone bought from this eBay seller before?
http://myworld.ebay.com/phenoptix/
They have the LEDs I need and seem legit, but I just want to be sure.

Sorry I have so many questions, but I want to make sure I have all my stuff straight before I get started.
I have used both 30w and 15w. The 15w has a smaller tip so it is better for soldering small things. The speakers can be just soldered parallel to the stock ones. That ebay seller is very good. I bought 50 UV LEDs and they came very fast.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal