Author Topic: Disk Drive help  (Read 1701 times)

Offline lakrulez14

• Registered BST
  • Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • AcidMods Rule
Disk Drive help
« on: December 05, 2009, 11:46:04 PM »
My friend gave me his xbox that had red ring error i fixed it, it had a samsung ms28 drive that wouldnt open or read disk, i was able to get it to open and read disk but it wont read xbox 360 games. now the only thing i could thing of is he swapped out the mobo inside the disk drive and just put it in there so im guessing i need to flash the key, i have the other mobo but it doesnt work like its suppose to it wont open and if it does open it closes rite back 2-3 seconds later. so my question to u guys is how would i get my samsung ms28 drive to read xbox360 games again? thx in advance

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
Re: Disk Drive help
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 04:48:14 AM »
JTAG hack and run linux to retrieve the CPU keys, fuses and all that good stuff.
Use that to generate a new DVD key to flash to the DVD drive.
He swapped out the DVD drive, not the drive mobo. No one swaps a mobo only.

Uhmm. Yeah. If it's updated to the latest Xbox kernel, you're screwed.

I may be missing something though, so don't think all hope is gone lol
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 04:48:39 AM by PspKicks316 »

Offline lakrulez14

• Registered BST
  • Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • AcidMods Rule
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 10:54:33 AM »
haha you would be amazed cuz yes he did just swap out the mobos cuz i have one sittin rite in my living room in a box.

umm i dnt think its latest xbox kernal havent hooked it up to my pc yet, but when i turn the xbox on its on the first new dashboard microsoft made (i dnt kno what its called but its the dashboard that looks like the new one but u cant make avatars yet, plz help remind me lol)

and JTAG hack and linux and all that stuff is gonna be a first for me so if i could have a little more help with that i would greatly appriciate it.

Post Merge: December 06, 2009, 01:44:31 PM
where would i find the disk keys anyway? or is that what the JTAG is for?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 01:44:31 PM by lakrulez14 »

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 02:02:01 PM »
You can only get the drive key by doing the JTAG hack, retrieving the LB1(?) key, the CPU keys, and then generating a new one.

I told you that.

For more info look here: http://www.free60.org/JTAG_Hack

If you're new to all of this, especially 360 modding, I don't recommend trying it to be honest. The technical aspect of it seems simple enough, but I haven't even gotten it working and I've come to know the 360 extremely well..
I think you're on an old enough kernel to do it. Check the 360 console settings to see which kernel you have...it has nothing to do with hooking it up to your PC.

To be honest I still believe a keyless 360 is a lost cause.

Offline lakrulez14

• Registered BST
  • Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • AcidMods Rule
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 02:27:28 PM »
well im not really a quiter and i love to learn new stuff espicially if it has to deal with modding in anyway so imma give it a shot.

so pretty much all im doing is generating a fake key for it to use or am i generating a dummy key?

if a keyless 360 is a lost cause what do u think i should do with it?

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 05:13:23 AM »
99% of the time with a disk drive its not the mobo, usually the only good part is the mobo, tyipically, when a drive geos bad, you get a new drive and put the old mobo in it, then you have new working drive, with the origional mobo and xbox dont know the difference..

your stating he kept the drive and changed the mobo..why?? not opening and not playing games is generally not the mobo, but a faulyt drive unit and lazer.....

put the origional mobo back in, retrieve the key and proceed from there.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 05:15:36 AM by modded matt »

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 12:29:40 PM »
well im not really a quiter and i love to learn new stuff espicially if it has to deal with modding in anyway so imma give it a shot.

so pretty much all im doing is generating a fake key for it to use or am i generating a dummy key?

if a keyless 360 is a lost cause what do u think i should do with it?
Do what Matt said.
Or, you know, you could just read what I already told you. You're generating the key again. You only have ONE key. It's motherboard specific. You're regenerating it. Will I need to repeat myself one more time?

Good luck. Like I said, even I can't get it right. I think I'm missing something though...

Offline lakrulez14

• Registered BST
  • Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • AcidMods Rule
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 02:24:45 PM »
well when i put the old mobo in the disk drive the motor wouldnt spin to open the disk tray but everything else worked fine, when i changed to the new mobo everything worked except that when the disk tray opens it doesnt open all the way so after 5 seconds or so it would close automatically, so when i get home i gonna switch out the motors just to try it out and see what happens.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal