Author Topic: Using the original buttons on the back of the controller?  (Read 1005 times)

Offline Tenac

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Pothead
Using the original buttons on the back of the controller?
« on: December 26, 2009, 11:24:44 AM »
https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,19911.0.html

I'm making the controller above, and all I have left to do is drill the holes and put in the abxy buttons on the back of the controller, but the problem is, I can't think of a very good solution to using the stock button, since it needs to somehow push against a little pushbutton. (purely for decoration, since seeing little black/red buttons poking through the back looks awful to me):

I was thinking of cutting the stock button in half, hollowing it out, adding a stopper to it so it can't fall out of the controller, and putting the pushbutton inside it.  The problem is, now the pushbutton needs to be firmly in place no matter how hard you push on the button. 

Has anyone done this or has any ideas as to how this can be accomplished, or is there a flaw or a better way than what I suggested?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 12:42:30 PM by Tenac »

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
Re: Using the original buttons on the back of the controller?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 02:45:21 PM »
|Variegation - GhoSt's Final Controller|

|Nothing is deterministic.|

Offline Tenac

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Pothead
Re: Using the original buttons on the back of the controller?
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 03:56:06 PM »
Thanks for the link, that's a good solution for putting the pushbutton in the stock button, but now I'm bummed that I didn't save the abxy button holes, I drilled right through all of it thinking I wouldn't need it :(

So if I can find an alternate way to make those or make something that accomplishes the task of keeping the buttons from wobbling and falling out, then I'll be good.  And I'm assuming the breadboard stuff is pushing against the back side of the controller so it won't move.

!::::::BIG EDIT::::::!

I've thought about it, and since I'm going to spray paint the controller black/yellow in the future, I also thought it would look cool to spray paint the abxy buttons yellow, which would kinda make using the stock buttons useless.

I'll most likely end up buying bigger radioshack pushbuttons and spray paint them to match the controller (plus now I can just superglue them in place in 5 seconds rather than all the extra work to use the stock buttons).  Here is what I'm aiming for as of now, maybe in the future I'll make another that uses all the stock parts:

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/5034/bottomviewyl6.jpg

I'm still open to feedback though towards my problem and my new solution (the big radioshack buttons).
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 10:11:11 AM by Tenac »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal