Author Topic: Samsung YP-S3 - 200MHz ARM9 -> 30€  (Read 1586 times)

Offline TokyoDrift

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • TokyoDrift's Development Blog
Samsung YP-S3 - 200MHz ARM9 -> 30€
« on: March 01, 2010, 09:22:56 AM »
Hey,
I didn't actually know where to post this. I found the Samsung YP-S3 MP3 player. You can get it for 30€ (~40$?). After some research it turned out that this thing has a 200MHz ARM9 core inside. Apart from that it has a 1.8" 176 x 220pxl LCD color screen. Apart from that there is a DFU mode that features code uploading from USB directly into RAM - no signcheck, no restrictions, no brick risk. I took a look into the firmware update ROM and the complete user interface is being saved in .SWF files, I don't know and don't think this is a real flash interpreter but it could be something in that direction - have a look at the menu designs, the easiest way to do that would be something that can be compared to AS.
However, what I want is using that device as a very cheap ARM plattform to play on. I already have some experience with 8bit microcontrollers, Have not messed with ARMs yet. Anyone interested in helping me with that? I don't want to do that on my own, I guess I have too few experience with that stuff. The first thing to do is getting to know how to interface with the UART (yes, there is UART inside), the buttons, the RTC and not to forget the display. I guess to do that we have to get an idea of how the real firmware does that -> unpacking the update rom is the first task.
Anyone interested?
TD

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal