Author Topic: Is the voltage in the controller different when you use the play and charge kit?  (Read 1430 times)

Offline psyko_chewbacca

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
Hi, I have a couple of controllers modded with leds and rapid fire chips. I use them with rechargeable AA's and everything is great. I have all 3 type modded. (Matrix, CG1/2)

Currently, my leds are wired with resistors calculated to support a max voltage of 3.0V. If I plug a play and charge kit, will the voltage of the switched (non-switched for CG2) power line of the controller be higher than 3.0V or is it regulated to that level or lower?

Also what is the typical voltage of the rechargeable battery packs that comes with those play and charge kits?

Thanks!

Offline tooandrew

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Acidmods User
i seem to remember reading the voltage was higher, maybe 5v, when it's plugged in. i do know that it's different but i am not sure exactly what it is.

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
I will test this weekend to make sure, but I am 99.99% sure the voltage is regulated down, especially at the mics power supply, which is the cg switched point.

Offline spurgurgle

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +17/-1
  • call me spurg
    • my blog
the re-charge packs run at abour 2.6v....
and when your plugged in the main power supply contact we use (ie then one matt mentions by the mic jac) the voltage will go up a little maybe up to like 3.5v or something .... but your leds will be fine.... just nice and bright :)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 04:59:22 AM by spurgurgle »

Sigs made by Ken and blazin from the AM Art team cheers guys.....
Spurgurgle d.t com
"I'm kinda like a typo, not quite right, but most people still understand me"

Offline psyko_chewbacca

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
Ok thank you for everything guys!

Offline crazy-modder

• Research & Development
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +34/-2
Ive actually done some testing with this too... The voltage does go up, but not by much.  I noticed if your using a rapid fire controller and you have it plugged in, it will sometimes make it shoot by its self.  I know usb ports are a 5 volt source but when you plug your controller into it, your controller drops the voltage to about 3.5, which is a little higher than 2 AA batteries.  So it can cause some problems with a rapid fire controller.

Offline BUDDHA_123

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • omg!!!! PS3
I think we need to have a myth busters episode on this

Offline spurgurgle

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +17/-1
  • call me spurg
    • my blog
I think we need to have a myth busters episode on this
why... we've ansmwerd in question already... me and crazy both saidthe same thing in slightly different ways... and he went a bit more specific.....

Sigs made by Ken and blazin from the AM Art team cheers guys.....
Spurgurgle d.t com
"I'm kinda like a typo, not quite right, but most people still understand me"

Offline psyko_chewbacca

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
Thanks again guys for your help!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal