Author Topic: Cars and Freedom  (Read 2379 times)

Offline Tec_

• EL-Wire King
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • EL Wire King
Cars and Freedom
« on: September 27, 2010, 01:18:29 AM »
Dodge Challenger Freedom Commercial

2011 Grand Cherokee Manifesto Commercial

i like these commercials and yes i am aware that the parent company is Chrysler and that it was German forever and a half but with the state of things now a days its cool to see manufacturing making an effort to improve / meet the quality that the cheaper foreign manufactures have had.

for quite some time people have been unwilling to buy us made cars because for the same base price you can buy a Honda or Toyota that is fully loaded and will out last the US competition.

EX: i drive a 03 Pontiac that is a base model and it dose not have key-less entry, it dose not have power windows, it dose not have ABS, and it only came with a AM/FM radio (for crying out loud when was the last time you rode in a car that did not have a CD player or at least a tape player in it) for close to the same money when it was new you could have bought a honda civic with all of the above listed features. i got the car used and very cheap but when it was new it sold for extremely close to the price of the civic

another example is how you can buy a ford mustang for up to $50,000 yet you can pick up a subaru impreza wrx sti for $35,000. the mustang is an American icon for speed they are suppose to be cool fast cars yet the 4 cylinder fully loaded off the showroom floor wrx will dominate the mustang (i know there are things that can be done to both cars after market to add speed but im talking from the factory) and you will get better gas mileage with the wrx than you will with the mustang

aside from the buy American to buy American argument why would people spend more money to by a inferior product. the flaw with that argument is the majority of foreign auto company's manufacture in the US so even if it is a foreign car there's a good chance it was built in the US

sorry this was a little bit of a rant but all im trying to say is that Robin we are better than you PTHHHHHHHHH (sticks tongue out)

let the fan boy arguments start! keep it good-natured 
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 01:30:20 AM by Tec_ »

Offline Kilokk

• In your AM modding your forums
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +9/-7
  • In the shadows of darkness I stand in the light.
Re: Cars and Freedom
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 01:38:02 AM »
i bought an american car as my first car because its considerably cheaper to work on. 

that and i dont think my family would disown me if i was in anything but a chevy.

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 03:01:58 AM »
lol, this isn't going to achieve anything. IMO what country branded the car is irrelevant, a car shouldn't be a statement of how patriotic you are...
For arguments sake: American cars are meh... your steering wheels are on the wrong side lol.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 03:02:56 AM by GhoSt_Death »
|Variegation - GhoSt's Final Controller|

|Nothing is deterministic.|

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 04:33:33 AM »
boo, actually your steering wheel is on the wrong side, and we drive on the RIGHT side of the road, wheras you drive on the wrong side.

Offline froggy

• SAN ANTO'S CUSTOM CHEVY'S
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Green Mexican
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 05:46:52 AM »
boo, actually your steering wheel is on the wrong side, and we drive on the RIGHT side of the road, wheras you drive on the wrong side.
lol i agree with matt,
Only Chevy's, Dodge's, Gmc's  :hifive:
ITS TIME FOR IGNITION, AND STRAIGHT AUTOMOBILE PIMPIN!

Offline TwisTtheTwiTcH

• Blogs & Media Editor-In-Chief
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +12/-2
  • Within my shadows there are no sins
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 05:50:22 AM »
Oh god... Do we need to build a range rover with the steering wheel in the center? You'll be doomed to ride center hump forever! Mwahahaha

-TwisT

Added: I actually want a UK Range Rover... I don't eat at fast food places often but I suppose I could never use the drive threw. XD
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 05:51:41 AM by TwisTtheTwiTcH »

Offline HiddenVenom

• Gone 'shopping
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Photoschlop.
    • Star Legion
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 08:42:08 AM »
Fact: The Modern Road was invented by the Romans

Also Fact: The Romans used the left side of the road

Offline budgray19

• Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • OH NO MY CHITTY CHICKEN, NOO NOT MY CHITTY BEEF
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 08:54:27 PM »
i like chevy over ford but dosnt mean i hate ford. however i greatly dislike diamler chrycler products, yes that includes dodge.
i would get a new chevy truck. extended cab v8 long bed for 20k but unfortunately i couldnt afford it

Offline crazy-modder

• Research & Development
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +34/-2
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 09:06:12 PM »
Well both of of those videos are really awesome. I am very patriotic but these videos want you to think that every single part of the cars are made in America which is VERY untrue. Either way.. the videos are pretty awesome! Semper Fi America

Offline budgray19

• Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • OH NO MY CHITTY CHICKEN, NOO NOT MY CHITTY BEEF
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 09:38:09 PM »
if i were to get any chrycler product it would be a older jeep or a Nukizer 715 if they ever decided to make it

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
  • Dōmo, Konnichiwa, :censored:es...
    • Misadventures in Mediocrity and Modding
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 11:35:43 AM »
Ok, so first things first. Chrysler was a subsidiary of Daimler (daimler bought chrysler in 98, hence the former Daimler-Chrysler moniker) however Daimler dumped Chrysler shortly after the Crossfire (the only Chrysler completely built outside the states, it may as well have been badged as a Benz), in 07 and kept less than a 20% stake in the company and sold that last bit in 09. The two companies are no longer associated, and haven't been since Daimler sold it's 80% (both companies were renamed following the sale). I wouldn't consider Chrysler to have been German owned for very long considering that the 10 years Daimler owned them amounts to about 1/8 of the company's overall lifespan so far...

Now, as for 'american' cars and their virtues and pitfalls, it's not about where the vehicle was assembled, where the parts came from. The public's distaste for American cars is more about the fact that, as in most industries, American manufacturers are behind the times and out of touch with what the public wants from the vehicles they buy. For far to long the big three ignored everything that the public wanted. They produced the same bland, unassuming, over-priced crap they had been making for decades. Styling cues, fuel consumption, power output, amenities, and price point (amongst other things) were completely ignored by Detroit. They kept pushing out the same garbage without any regard for their own future. One of the last people to push the big three into a new realm was Iacocca. And that was quite a while ago...

Another major point (that was mentioned before) was the quality of the vehicles being produced. On average cars made by American manufacturers spent more time in repair facilities and cost more to maintain and repair than vehicles made by Asian manufacturers (we'll leave the Germans and other Europeans out of this since there is a far greater range of quality and cost in those vehicles). The only vehicles that the big three really make well (and always have) are trucks, and they're even losing ground there to the Asian manufacturers...

I've owned at least one car from every major American manufacturer (and a few from their subsidiaries) as well as multiple Asian manufacturers, and I have worked on every brand under the sun that is currently not defunct. Personally, I don't care how much American manufacturers have changed, I will NEVER own another car made by an American manufacturer (unless it was made prior to 1975, I have a penchant for 60's mustangs and 70's muscle cars from Detroit...). If I could drive any car currently being produced it would be euro or Asian, no doubt about it. The best cars I've ever owned were from Asian manufacturers.

Even now the American manufacturers still don't have many original ideas. Most of the vehicles that are selling well right now are all their 'throwback' cars. That's one of the few things the big three listened to the public about. People wanted to see some of the big name cars come back, the charger, the challenger, the camaro, the mustang... And they all unashamedly take their styling cues from the most popular styles of those vehicles. The worst part is that the quality and price point of these vehicles hasn't improved much. Sure they look like the old school muscle and pony cars from the 60's and 70's, but that's about it... Will you see any 2010 mustangs on the road 30 years from now? Challengers? Chargers? Camaros? Very doubtful considering that they are of inferior quality in comparison to their original namesakes.

I personally am biased in favor of German cars (especially Benz). We had a saying when I worked for Benz, "the Germans do it first and the Japanese do it better."  Most standards in automotives are started by the Germans and improved upon by the Japanese. Benz is usually the one at the forefront, but after all they did create the first automobile, first car with 4-wheel disc brakes standard amongst other firsts...

When Detroit starts being innovative again and improves their quality a little more I might consider purchasing one of their vehicles, but they have a long way to go before that happens...
AcidMods Ninja... You won't know I'm there until you're gone...

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal