Author Topic: Quick t0pFire Question  (Read 5922 times)

Offline Epic Lavalamp

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • 360>PS3+PSP+Wii+DS
    • B3CKBoards
Quick t0pFire Question
« on: December 06, 2010, 04:02:28 PM »
I have installed rumble activated leds before and plan to for a future controller that I will be installing t0pFire on as well. My question is, is there a simple way to wire the rumble activated leds to only light when the t0pFire mod is active?

Basically, when I hold down right trigger without rapid fire on, no rumble leds.
When I hold down the right trigger with rapid fire on, the rumble leds are on.

Here's a picture of the t0pFire install on a CG board for anyone who needs it...
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 03:12:00 PM by Epic Lavalamp »

Offline Famas

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +1/-8
  • Acidmods User
Re: Quick t0pFire Question
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 03:14:08 AM »
you  wouldnt need to break the ruble pads youd need 1 n22222 transistor and conntect the middle pin to the middle pot where the right trigger is the first to the top pot (of three ) and the 3rd to the negative of the led i have this done on a cg board but matrix is different ill get you some pics if you like the transtors are a pound for 3

Offline spurgurgle

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +17/-1
  • call me spurg
    • my blog
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 03:24:34 AM »
you  wouldnt need to break the ruble pads youd need 1 n22222 transistor and conntect the middle pin to the middle pot where the right trigger is the first to the top pot (of three ) and the 3rd to the negative of the led i have this done on a cg board but matrix is different ill get you some pics if you like the transtors are a pound for 3

surely if he did that it would still activated the rumble leds when the trigger is pulled and rf is off......

it might be better to again use a transitor but wire to the ground of the led a ground point on the pad and to the rapid fire led..... so when the rf led turns on (as in rf is on) it would activate the transistor which would ground the led... and then when the rumble goes off u have rumble led... but if u turned rf off the led wouldnt get grounded and the rumble lights would turn on

Sigs made by Ken and blazin from the AM Art team cheers guys.....
Spurgurgle d.t com
"I'm kinda like a typo, not quite right, but most people still understand me"

Offline Famas

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +1/-8
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 09:42:19 AM »
ive done this before and it blinks at the speed of rf the pulse going to the trigger so i can vouch for this

Offline spurgurgle

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +17/-1
  • call me spurg
    • my blog
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 09:45:11 AM »
yeah but thats not rumble activated led is it now..........

he wants rumble activated  but only when his rapid fire is on....

a odd mod but who cares its a mod

Sigs made by Ken and blazin from the AM Art team cheers guys.....
Spurgurgle d.t com
"I'm kinda like a typo, not quite right, but most people still understand me"

Offline Famas

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +1/-8
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 09:49:20 AM »
bit of a waste of a rumble pad when you can do it with a transistor similar

Offline Epic Lavalamp

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • 360>PS3+PSP+Wii+DS
    • B3CKBoards
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 01:25:52 PM »
surely if he did that it would still activated the rumble leds when the trigger is pulled and rf is off......

it might be better to again use a transitor but wire to the ground of the led a ground point on the pad and to the rapid fire led..... so when the rf led turns on (as in rf is on) it would activate the transistor which would ground the led... and then when the rumble goes off u have rumble led... but if u turned rf off the led wouldnt get grounded and the rumble lights would turn on

So, would I wire it like this?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 03:09:32 PM by Epic Lavalamp »

Offline Famas

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +1/-8
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 03:16:00 PM »
no wire rapid fire up as normal now middle pin to middle pin of right trigger where the rapid fire goes bottom to bottom pin ground and the top of transistor to ground of led so when it fires a gun if will flash as the speed of rapid fire is set pretty good ive done it to my cg pad

Offline Epic Lavalamp

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • 360>PS3+PSP+Wii+DS
    • B3CKBoards
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 03:22:27 PM »
no wire rapid fire up as normal now middle pin to middle pin of right trigger where the rapid fire goes bottom to bottom pin ground and the top of transistor to ground of led so when it fires a gun if will flash as the speed of rapid fire is set pretty good ive done it to my cg pad

Yes, but this will just cause the led to light up every single time I would pull the right trigger... I only want the led to come on when the trigger is pulled AND the rapid fire is enabled...

Offline Famas

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +1/-8
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 03:26:21 PM »
yes if rapid fire wasnt enabled it wouldnt flash just light up i suppose if you wanted to do it when rapid fire is enabled try connecting the led wire make a spur off it or use that and connect is to the middle pic of and npn transistor if its under a volt or 2 so it doesnt burn out the transistor and the buttom of the transistor to ground and the top of the transistor to gound on the led i should emagine that would work

Offline Epic Lavalamp

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • 360>PS3+PSP+Wii+DS
    • B3CKBoards
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 03:34:09 PM »
yes if rapid fire wasnt enabled it wouldnt flash just light up i suppose if you wanted to do it when rapid fire is enabled try connecting the led wire make a spur off it or use that and connect is to the middle pic of and npn transistor if its under a volt or 2 so it doesnt burn out the transistor and the buttom of the transistor to ground and the top of the transistor to gound on the led i should emagine that would work

So your saying my diagram is correct and should work?

Offline Famas

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +1/-8
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 03:39:53 PM »
no why would you need to connect it to positive on the rumble pad at all ? just get the positive from the positive point on the board  and also make sure that the led your connecting to the transistor has the rapid fire wire for the top fire code going to it also

Post Merge: December 07, 2010, 03:42:46 PM
but to re-correct myself yea it looks like the science behind it is there and it would work but you have to get rid of  the rumble motor as it wouldnt powr both sorry :(
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 03:42:46 PM by Famas »

Offline Epic Lavalamp

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • 360>PS3+PSP+Wii+DS
    • B3CKBoards
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 04:06:14 PM »
no why would you need to connect it to positive on the rumble pad at all ? just get the positive from the positive point on the board  and also make sure that the led your connecting to the transistor has the rapid fire wire for the top fire code going to it also

Post Merge: December 07, 2010, 03:42:46 PM
but to re-correct myself yea it looks like the science behind it is there and it would work but you have to get rid of  the rumble motor as it wouldnt powr both sorry :(

I would need to connect the led to the positve point of the rumbel so that when the rumbler starts, it will give the led the positve lead it needs to light... If i were to wire it the positive point on the board, the led would turn on as soon as i would enable rapid fire...
And yes, the rumble points on the board can power an led as well as the rumbler, i've done it before.

Offline Famas

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +1/-8
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 04:08:27 PM »
erm what colour maybe red but not blue as i tried it

Offline Epic Lavalamp

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • 360>PS3+PSP+Wii+DS
    • B3CKBoards
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2010, 04:14:23 PM »
erm what colour maybe red but not blue as i tried it

I've done it with blue and red...

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
  • Dōmo, Konnichiwa, :censored:es...
    • Misadventures in Mediocrity and Modding
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2010, 05:56:35 PM »
Just for what it's worth (and from personal experience), you can run quite a bit off the rumble points. A total of 14 rumble motors will operate normally off of the rumble points of a single controller. After 14 you start to lose a lot of the punch...

So I wouldn't worry too much about a couple of extra LEDs...

And yes Epic, your your diagram should make things operate as you want them to. Though I would not tap in to the ROL LED right there at the led, I would splice into the wire either close to the diodes/resistors on the indicator LEDs wire from the rf chip, or at the pin of the rf chip.
AcidMods Ninja... You won't know I'm there until you're gone...

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

Offline Epic Lavalamp

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • 360>PS3+PSP+Wii+DS
    • B3CKBoards
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2010, 06:09:54 PM »
Just for what it's worth (and from personal experience), you can run quite a bit off the rumble points. A total of 14 rumble motors will operate normally off of the rumble points of a single controller. After 14 you start to lose a lot of the punch...

So I wouldn't worry too much about a couple of extra LEDs...

And yes Epic, your your diagram should make things operate as you want them to. Though I would not tap in to the ROL LED right there at the led, I would splice into the wire either close to the diodes/resistors on the indicator LEDs wire from the rf chip, or at the pin of the rf chip.

Alright, thanks for the solid reply, much apreciated
One more question though, never used a transistor before and i was wondering what kind i should use... If someone could just single out a certain type from ebay that would work, it would help alot.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 06:14:13 PM by Epic Lavalamp »

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2010, 06:44:48 PM »
NPN I believe... I think someone before said N22222. not sure though if that's right for this application...

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

Offline Epic Lavalamp

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • 360>PS3+PSP+Wii+DS
    • B3CKBoards
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2010, 06:52:25 PM »

Offline Famas

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +1/-8
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2010, 02:59:57 AM »
everything i answered that guy said transistors n2222 READ

Post Merge: December 08, 2010, 03:04:05 AM
and  maybe youve done it with blue 5mm but theres different type of quality i was using high intesity witch take quite a bit to light up i told you it would work but might not work the rumbl motor aswell as i struggled

Post Merge: December 08, 2010, 03:07:10 AM
and it will do exactly the same as mine did flash as it isnt a constant glow it flashes off the ruble pad
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 03:07:10 AM by Famas »

Offline Epic Lavalamp

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • 360>PS3+PSP+Wii+DS
    • B3CKBoards
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2010, 03:25:09 PM »
everything i answered that guy said transistors n2222 READ

Post Merge: December 08, 2010, 03:04:05 AM
and  maybe youve done it with blue 5mm but theres different type of quality i was using high intesity witch take quite a bit to light up i told you it would work but might not work the rumbl motor aswell as i struggled

Post Merge: December 08, 2010, 03:07:10 AM
and it will do exactly the same as mine did flash as it isnt a constant glow it flashes off the ruble pad

Dude, jrfhoutx just said he ran 14 rumbles off of those two points... I don't care what intensity your leds are, your wrong on that point...

I don't think your quiet getting the point of what im trying to do either, so don't worry about it...

Offline Famas

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +1/-8
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2010, 03:33:10 PM »
it doesnt matter about 14 rumble motors off 1 point they will work as that point is made to power a voltage enough to power the rumble motor but if theres not enough voltage to power a certain colour it wont work so i think i no if i tried it myself as yes i do no what your doing but whats the point ?

Offline Epic Lavalamp

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • 360>PS3+PSP+Wii+DS
    • B3CKBoards
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2010, 03:39:23 PM »
what voltage were the leds you tried using??

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2010, 06:01:56 AM »
The point I was trying to make is that there is plenty of voltage coming from those rumble points to operate whatever you plan to connect to them, including LEDs. As long as minimum voltage requirements are met then the LEDs will work and the rumble points provide enough voltage for that purpose.

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
  • Research and Development
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2010, 08:19:51 AM »
famas is correct
extra rumble motors connected in paralell all recieve the same voltage
how many motors you can run off the rumble points depends on how much current the controller can supply with out dying
leds are not like motors they have a specific operating voltage, too low or too high will result in dim leds or the coulour maybe odd or both

basically what you need to do is use a transistor
but we need to know what type of board you are using? (CG or Matrix)
and what voltage you get from the rumble points when active

EDIT: just to be clear if the led is not working its 100% not cause the points cant power the led and the motor
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 08:26:53 AM by hyper999 »

Offline Epic Lavalamp

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • 360>PS3+PSP+Wii+DS
    • B3CKBoards
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2010, 01:31:13 PM »
Im gunna use a CG  board b/c I don't want to buy diods for the t0pFire install, and im pretty sure the rumble points give off 3 volts

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
  • Research and Development
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2010, 08:06:24 AM »
ok then the final thing is which of the rumble points is switched positive or negative?

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2010, 09:18:02 AM »
Ok, seriously, you guys are making this far more difficult and confusing than it needs to be. The diagram that was posted earlier will work and the voltage will be fine (yes LEDs have specific operating voltages, but the controller provides enough voltage to operate LEDs, and as it was said before if it's wired in parallel then the concern would be available current and since we know that there is enough current to operate both, the point is moot). the controller provides enough voltage to operate both LEDs and rumble motors.

As my comment about the number of motors running off a single point, who said I wired in parallel? I gave no details in regards to how I wired them, don't make assumptions when you don't have all the info... And for the record I did both series and parallel. I maxxed out at 20 motors in parallel (that was all I had available)...

Now just to prove the point that this WILL work based on the diagram and wiring provided and discussed earlier in the thread, I will hold off on another mod I was going to work on and release this weekend so that I can perform this mod tonight. I will post the results here when I'm done...

Offline Epic Lavalamp

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • 360>PS3+PSP+Wii+DS
    • B3CKBoards
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2010, 01:26:31 PM »
wow, thanks :w00t:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal