Author Topic: Wii Wireless Sensor bar to Wired Tutorial with Pictures  (Read 7334 times)

Offline twiiges360

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Wii Wireless Sensor bar to Wired Tutorial with Pictures
« on: January 09, 2011, 12:25:52 PM »
I bought the wide wireless sensor bar and i am tired of buying batteries for it.  is there a way to hard wire it so i can connect it to the wii?  i was thinking of a way to do it using the wire with the factory wii sensor bar.

thanks in advance.

Edit*I figured it out so posted a tut below.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 08:50:18 PM by twiiges360 »

Offline MrPete1985

• Registered BST
  • ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Acidmods User
Re: Wii Wireless Sensor bar to Wired. Is it possible?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 03:41:48 PM »
Yes I did this to my friends wireless Nyko sensor bar, I cut a usb cable off and connected the black end to where the negative side of the batteries go and the red wire to the positive side of the battery holder.

The Nyko bar runs off of 6v stock and the USB gives 5v I am sure the LEDs are not as bright as if you were using a fresh set of batteries but you do not need to add a resister, just plug the sensor bar into the wii and the bar will turn off when you turn off the wii.  he has been using the bar modded like this for over a year no problems yet.

Offline twiiges360

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Re: Wii Wireless Sensor bar to Wired. Is it possible?
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 05:17:31 PM »
i've succeeded :)  i'll post tut later. 

Post Merge: January 09, 2011, 08:33:53 PM
What You'll Need:

A really small phillips screw driver
Soldering Gun and Solder
Hot Glue Gun and Glue
A USB cord
Needle Nose Pliers

Splice up about 8-10 inches of the wire.  All you'll need is the black and red.  I dipped the tips of the white and green wires in glue to avoid shorting anything out.

Remove the 7 screws.  Four are under the rubber props and three are under the battery cover.  Carefully ope the sensor bar.

You can have the wire entering the sensor the way you feel fit, I just bored out the middle screw hole under the battery cover (since i wont need the cover and i have no drill rite now :( )

And I hot glued the wires so they wouldn't move around.  Try to go under the metal battery clip.  You will have to cut off the screw catch in the middle on the cover of the sensor in order to get the cover back on.

Solder the black to the black and the red to the red.  You really don't need to remove the entire battery clip to do it.  They just fell out on me so I did it while they were out.  It would help to hot glue the wires inside the sensor in a few places so they won't slip around and get in the way of the wide angle adjuster.

Carefully put it back together.  You will have to leave the battery cover if you used my method of inserting the wires.

I connected it using the rock band usb extension since I have my hard drive and base plugged in also.

Power on the wii and you now have a hard wired "wireless" sensor bar.  I have not tried it with batteries but i think is should be okay as long as you don't have it plugged into the wii.

You will have to manually power on the sensor after you turn your wii on but when the wii shuts down, so does the sensor.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 05:33:13 PM by twiiges360 »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal