Author Topic: So I have a quick question  (Read 2095 times)

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
So I have a quick question
« on: January 30, 2011, 07:05:46 AM »
I'm looking to get into PIC coding to make my own stuff. Either that, or using AtMega chips.

What languages can you use to code PICs? If you can only use Assembly, then screw that lol

Offline frenulem - No.5417

• Ultimate Badass
  • Blogs & Media Team
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +23/-0
  • Learning Pascal Cuz i'm dumb and 'Ting
Re: So I have a quick question
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 07:36:52 AM »
im just getting into it myself, i would order a PIC kit2 as this has been recommended by everyone, you can program in basic,c and assembler, feel free to correct me anyone cuz like i said im new myself

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 08:54:17 AM »
Pricey. I'm thinking of sticking with AVRs since I can use C/C++ and the Arduino functions. I'm not sure yet.

Offline frenulem - No.5417

• Ultimate Badass
  • Blogs & Media Team
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +23/-0
  • Learning Pascal Cuz i'm dumb and 'Ting
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 09:16:57 AM »
if you wanna get into AVRs get in touch with hyper999 as i know he's doing something like that, and £20 is a good average for PIC programmers also look in the general modding and electronics as we are working on an AVR based component tester

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 11:13:18 AM »
go with arduino if you are familiar with C.  Arduino is an alternative open source option for putting code onto AVRs.  It is a higher level C then you probably used before, but it is still C when it comes right down to it.  Now you can still use traditional AVR assemblers and C compilers, however the arduino will get you up and going much faster using their bootloader and software libraries.

I think that when it comes to microcontrollers you should understand Assembly to a certain extent otherwise there will be a disonnect from the specsheet to the codes you produce.  If you were to go through a couple of simple assembly examples and pay close attention to the specsheet  and the registers that are modified for certain functions in the code you can see what goes on behind the scenes in C.

here is a video review of Arduino I thought was helpful:
EEVblog #45 - Arduino, PICAXE, and idiot assembler programmers

the first couple minutes are pretty much a rant about the name, and his rant about assembler language at the end is petty spot on, but remember that anyone who really understands C and assembler can recognize each one for its own strengths.   if you dont understand any assembly, debuging a C program can be next to impossible.  remember C is compiled into assembly, assembly is translated into machine language (labels are replaced with numbers) which is .hex
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 11:14:56 AM by 802Chives »

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 05:17:47 PM »
I have and currently use Arduinos; I know all about them. I can follow an assembly source code to an extent. I think the easiest thing for me, would be using the arduino environment to write my code and compile it into the hex source. I don't need a programmer, because my Arduino(s) can be programmed as programmers. In this case, I'd be using AVRs.

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 06:57:29 AM »
Kicks, sounds like you should focus your efforts on learning Atmels AVRs since you are familiar with arduino and are capable of loading your own code.

I am not familiar with AVRs, however it looks like there are a lot of different programming options out there.  AVRstudio is software that may already be familiar with in order to program arduino without a bootloaded chip?  reguardless, it is an IDE that contains the assembler for AVRs.  WinAVR is a collection of Software that contains GCC C compiler amongst some other tools that integrate into AVRstudio.

I am not sure if Arduino supports debugging or has a simulator, however these are very important things that can help you develop your projects that are contained in AVRstudio.

Lots of info out there on how to get started with AVRs that are not Arduino related.  It would be highly beneficial for you to be able to use AVRs in their native toungue as well as Arduino.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal