Author Topic: Keeping Tidy.  (Read 3459 times)

techninjadude

Keeping Tidy.
« on: February 06, 2011, 05:30:30 AM »
I wanna Know how you people keep you stuff tidy. While your modding. And Tell me when you dismantle the PsP, how do you know which screw goes were, and not losing it.

Offline frenulem - No.5417

• Ultimate Badass
  • Blogs & Media Team
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +23/-0
  • Learning Pascal Cuz i'm dumb and 'Ting
Re: Keeping Tidy.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 07:02:00 AM »
I have a few shallow plastic trays blue tacted down… and blue tact

techninjadude

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 07:11:37 AM »
Nice. I wanna knw I you remember which screw goes were. Because When I put things back I guess

Offline frenulem - No.5417

• Ultimate Badass
  • Blogs & Media Team
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +23/-0
  • Learning Pascal Cuz i'm dumb and 'Ting
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 07:28:34 AM »
Well put abit of tact down, put screws in tact, write on a scrapof paper, pcb or case

techninjadude

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 07:43:05 AM »
OH THX MAN

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
  • Dōmo, Konnichiwa, :censored:es...
    • Misadventures in Mediocrity and Modding
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 11:11:41 AM »
I just have stuff scattered all over the place tbh. as for what screws go where, it's all in my head (but being a mechanic I'm used to mentally disassembling and reassembling stuff and keeping track of what goes where)... but yeah I'd agree using labeled pill box trays or something similar would be best...
AcidMods Ninja... You won't know I'm there until you're gone...

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 12:08:46 PM »
lol there's 5 different sets of screws. i take a mental pic of it or visualize the disassemble upon reassembly.

1. two short fat head screws in bat bay
2. two black screws in the back case
3. silver machine screws in the lcd cadge and mobo
4. black machine screws in the lcd cage and mobo
5. short washer head holding umd drive in

i haven't touched a psp in at least a year dont even own one

edit
i forgot the small silver machine screw in the bottom center edge of the face plate
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 12:11:13 PM by modded matt »

Offline DuctTapedGoat

• PC Repair Junkie
  • Registered BST
  • Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +20/-12
  • I'm a duct-taped goat.
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 12:36:03 PM »
Magnet trays.

When I get dead hard drives and speakers, I pull the magnets from them, and duct tape them to the bottom of thin metal ashtrays. Helluva lot cheaper than buying the same thing from a store.

Not just doing PSPs, but anything. If I have a project that's taking a long time, I'll use smaller magnets inside Carmex canisters. This keeps my cat from playing with screws on my desk while I sleep!

Offline DuctTapedGoat

• PC Repair Junkie
  • Registered BST
  • Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +20/-12
  • I'm a duct-taped goat.
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 10:17:36 PM »
Ah, and to remember where it goes, I just take a pic with my phone before I disassemble it, then compare when I'm putting it back together.

Offline toadzilla

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +132/-0
  • something something Tech support
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 12:39:29 AM »
me its more of a guess which is one reason why i end up having screws left over this summer im setitng up shot so i can do it profresonal

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
  • Dōmo, Konnichiwa, :censored:es...
    • Misadventures in Mediocrity and Modding
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 07:47:14 PM »
OK so I'm working on a customer's PSP and I figured I'd post a description and a few pics of how I keep their stuff orderly. I don't use this method with my own units as I'm not on a deadline with my own stuff and don't really care if I'm fishing around for the right screws or if it takes me a while to find them or whatever...

So anyway this is how I keep stuff in order when I'm doing MFH work or repairs on a deadline, this works really well for handhelds since so many of the screws look similar, it can also be effectively used on full size consoles, and it's very inexpensive and doesn't require purchasing special containers, etc...

First I take a spare cardboard box I have laying around (I have dozens of them all over the place) and I cut off one of the flaps with a box cutter. then I mark off sections and label them. then I take my #0 or #00 Philips head screwdriver (or a small tri-wing or standard screwdriver, any of them as long as the shaft is about the same size as the screw's shaft), and poke holes in the cardboard (all the way through so it comes out the back side). I only poke as many holes as needed for that portion of the device (if there are 7 screws for holding on the faceplate then I only poke 7 holes), and I poke them in a pattern that corresponds to the orientation of the screws on the device. then as I remove the screws I push them into their respective holes in the cardboard.

Here are a couple pics:

Yes, I wear gloves when working on a customers device. It keeps fingerprints and oils off of the parts, especially things like faceplates and LCDs. I use Non-Powdered Nitrile gloves, not standard powdered latex, that just leaves powder behind that looks like dust.
AcidMods Ninja... You won't know I'm there until you're gone...

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

techninjadude

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 01:48:04 AM »
Nice, that's Awesome.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal