Author Topic: UMD Door Replacement Loop  (Read 1378 times)

Offline EMJDS

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
UMD Door Replacement Loop
« on: February 12, 2011, 01:39:50 PM »
Hi guys, I'm doing an LED mod for my girlfriend's PSP, adding sound reactive LEDs to the back. I've done mods before, but I've never worked with LEDs, but after doing some research, I know how to get them to react with the sound, and come on, but the things I need help with are:
  • How do I get it so that they don't just come on, but gradually over a period of 2 seconds or so brighten up, and then when the power is turned off, over the same period, dim down to off?
  • I'm also going to set it up so it switches from one colour to the other (I have two sets of LED's) but I can't seem to find an appropriate timer
  • And lastly where can I get a opaque plastic ring to replace the metal one on the back?
Thanks in advance for all your help!

Offline Bonz

• I'm Back Baby
  • Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +3/-1
  • 2 1337 4 u
    • Bonznumber1
Re: UMD Door Replacement Loop
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 02:09:28 PM »
ummmm it sounds like your gonna have to have them powered off the battery directly as you want them to power off slowly even after the psp is off.... that's the only thing i can help you with everyone here is better at this stuff than i am so i'm sure you'll find an answer... also there are 2 different ring for the psp the 3000 and the rest what one do you need?

Offline nEoVaLoR

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +36/-26
  • Young Modder
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 02:17:16 PM »
Hi guys, I'm doing an LED mod for my girlfriend's PSP, adding sound reactive LEDs to the back. I've done mods before, but I've never worked with LEDs, but after doing some research, I know how to get them to react with the sound, and come on, but the things I need help with are:
  • How do I get it so that they don't just come on, but gradually over a period of 2 seconds or so brighten up, and then when the power is turned off, over the same period, dim down to off?
  • I'm also going to set it up so it switches from one colour to the other (I have two sets of LED's) but I can't seem to find an appropriate timer
  • And lastly where can I get a opaque plastic ring to replace the metal one on the back?
Thanks in advance for all your help!
If you are asking for your leds to fade in when you turn the psp on, and then be sound reactive, it is impossible with using just hardware. There is going to be some coding in there somewhere, and to be honest I don't even think that it's possible. And if you're doing a ring of light mod, and you want just a ring, you are going to have to make it yourself, i seen them from pringles lids, plexiglass, etc except usually you don't make a ring... You either make a "jewel" or you just cut a square and put the two parts of the umd over it to form a ring shape because the rest is covered up.

Offline Crumbz

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +29/-2
  • Networking & Database Administrator
    • www.asagia.net (Coming Soon!)
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 04:02:39 PM »
whats wrong with using a capasitor to let the lights dim on and off? just take a capasitor and hook it too the positive power wire. then on the positive pin of the LED add a 100 ohm resister and then just attatch the two together. and wire the other side normally.

it should work for the dim...

as for the sound reactive part,  if you do that capacitor mo you'll have to wire in the speakers power after the resistor on the LED.

and if you hook it all up right you should get sound reactive LED's and LED that dim on/off with the psp's power.

PS: you should be able to power the LED's from the 5v power source under near the memory stick slot. (I believe it's the first resister nearest to the edge of the motherboard. (Correct me if I'm wrong))

Minecraft Server (Online)
Name: Asagia Realm's
Address: mc.asagia.net:65156

Offline nEoVaLoR

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +36/-26
  • Young Modder
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 04:10:49 PM »
whats wrong with using a capasitor to let the lights dim on and off? just take a capasitor and hook it too the positive power wire. then on the positive pin of the LED add a 100 ohm resister and then just attatch the two together. and wire the other side normally.

it should work for the dim...

as for the sound reactive part,  if you do that capacitor mo you'll have to wire in the speakers power after the resistor on the LED.

and if you hook it all up right you should get sound reactive LED's and LED that dim on/off with the psp's power.

PS: you should be able to power the LED's from the 5v power source under near the memory stick slot. (I believe it's the first resister nearest to the edge of the motherboard. (Correct me if I'm wrong))
Fading an LED With a Resistor-Capacitor Circuit
I'm guessing you watched this.
I still do not believe what he is trying to achieve is possible. Even if you did use those, you would have to find surface mount versions, and they seem to discharge, there doesn't seem a way to make it do the opposite. He said when he turns the PSP on he wants the leds to brighten, or fade on, and when he turns it off he wants them to fade off. AND he wants them to be sound reactive. Doesn't seem possible to me......
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 04:15:07 PM by nEoVaLoR »

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
  • Dōmo, Konnichiwa, :censored:es...
    • Misadventures in Mediocrity and Modding
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 05:03:46 PM »
simplest way to do what you want would be to actually build two separate circuits. one for the sound reactive and one for the dimming using separate LEDs for each circuit. You could probably do this mod using only one circuit and some sort of logic gate, but I'm far from the best person to answer this as I'm not the most well versed in electrical theory and IC use. FOOKz could probably come up with a circuit for you (the guy really knows his stuff), and it would probably work theoretically, but more often than not theory and practice don't always provide the same outcome (at least in my own personal experience).  the problem comes in the form of complexity. in order to achieve the results you want you would most likely end up with a fairly complex circuit (trust me I know, FOOKz and I threw around ideas for some time on a pretty complex 360 ROL mod and I could never get it to work the way I wanted to and the way it should have worked in theory), and any problems you ran into would probably take some fairly advanced trouble shooting to work out the bugs.

I'm not trying to dash your hopes or shoot down your idea, as I think it's a pretty good idea, but the easiest way to get the results you want would probably be to have a PIC coded to provide the functionality that you desire. If that is the route you want then either put in a request for a coder to work with you on creating the mod that you want, or learn to code so that you can produce it yourself. I'm sure this is not what you want to hear and I'm sorry for that, but it is the reality of the situation imo. unless someone like FOOKz comes along to prove me otherwise (and he just might).

so again I would say the easiest way to do it would be to have two completely separate circuits; one for your fader mod and one for the sound reactive mod.

as for the ring on the UMD door, you said you want an opaque ring. the stock ring is opaque. I think you meant translucent. A translucent ring would be one that allows light through but is not completely clear (or see-through), it would look kind of cloudy. as said before the easiest way to do that would be to use a plain jewel and then make it translucent and not transparent using one of the stains you can find at craft stores, and then put the center piece with the printed PSP back on the jewel.

I assume that you saw lordnic0's latest PSP fader mod and are trying to get the same effects, so I'll just let you know now that he used a custom coded PIC, custom made PCB, and custom circuit to do that.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 05:05:58 PM by jrfhoutx »
AcidMods Ninja... You won't know I'm there until you're gone...

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

Offline EMJDS

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 05:11:52 PM »
Yeah, I did mean translucent, thanks for pointing that out, I didn't even notice O_o

I thought of the capacitor idea as well, but I just couldn't get it to work for some reason.
It really doesn't have to fade on, but the way I have it now just looks bad, because it's hooked up to the power LED circuit, so it's very
  _                      _
_| |_ instead of _/  \_
I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so it kinda bothers me.

And no, I didn't see Lordnic0's mod, I'll keep an eye open for it.

Thanks again for your help and advice, I really appreciate it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal