Author Topic: Help with a Mini JDM Programmer  (Read 6273 times)

Offline tempermodz

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-2
  • Acidmods User
Help with a Mini JDM Programmer
« on: May 29, 2011, 02:33:30 PM »
I bought this Programmer the other day from ebay, I know its the greatest, but it programs 12F683.
I bought the rs232 cable from radio shack, $40 too much lol... but anyways, none of the winpic800 or PICkit will read it.
PICpgm worked, the light came on, on the programmer, when I click to autodetect, everything works good, but the problem is
that it wont detect the PIC. Could anyone help me please. The cable that I bought and the software works for vista 64 bit, its what Im using.
but where i bought the programmer it says for windows xp,me, 200 and 98. could that be the problem ? please help.
heres the link of where i bought it from, it also has the image..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-JDM-Microchip-programmer-PIC-Chip-/170628697017

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
  • Research and Development
Re: Help with a Mini JDM Programmer
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 02:53:59 PM »
Firstly please don't double post you should just click the modify button (top right of your post) and edit your original post.

Ok so are you using the socket on board the programmer? because it looks to me like that socket is not for PICs as it doesn't seem to have all the necessary ICSP pins connected...

Try it using the 6pin ICSP header and extend the wires to the right pins on the PIC using whatever method you prefer.

Offline tempermodz

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-2
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 03:01:07 PM »
Sorry about that.. well it works for only 8pin PICS. im using a DB9 cable to usb.
the cable is working (COM4) the software programs is the ones that doesnt read the programmer.
PICpgm does read the rs232 driver tho i think. the light on the programmer turns on with this software program.
It just wont read the PIC or when it gets to half if i just choose to write on a 12F683 it will stop on 50%
should i just try using it on a computer with windows xp ?

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 03:11:07 PM »
Sorry about that.. well it works for only 8pin PICS. im using a DB9 cable to usb.
the cable is working (COM4) the software programs is the ones that doesnt read the programmer.
PICpgm does read the rs232 driver tho i think. the light on the programmer turns on with this software program.
It just wont read the PIC or when it gets to half if i just choose to write on a 12F683 it will stop on 50%
should i just try using it on a computer with windows xp ?

I think the problem may be that you are using a usb>serial cable, I believe JDM programmers will only work with a true rs232 level serial port and not 5v USB ones...

Offline tempermodz

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-2
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 03:27:42 PM »
is that what you use intead ? because if i check on the driver devices it says its working properly, as a COM. otherwise to return this cable back and get the regular female to male rs232 db9 cable

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 03:41:35 PM »
a regular old fashioned serial port uses voltages from -12 to 12 volts whereas most usb>serial adaptors only use 0 - 5 volts, i think this is your problem...

i would return the cable and buy a decent usb programmer supported by microchip such as the PICKit 2

Offline tempermodz

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-2
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 04:20:50 PM »
So i whent back and returned the usb port cable and got me a old fashion DB9 RS232 cable.
now the light on the programmer stays on all the time like it suppose to, but when i insert the PIC
and run the detection, it still wont detect the PIC.

would this one work ??? with a regular rs232 cable ??

http://cgi.ebay.com/PIC-MCU-JDM-Programmer-Microchip-IC-/250772379610?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6332d7da
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 05:22:34 PM by whitetop »

Offline whitetop

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +39/-12
  • im not in the ass kissing team
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 05:23:57 PM »
tempermodz please use the edit button in future please don't double post just to get a answer

come to the rite place if you kiss admins as they promote you to admin.

Offline Hazer

• x4675636B4E7574
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +59/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 06:18:24 PM »
Tempermodz, it is not your cable. You cannot program withthe JDM unless you have a REAL serial port. The USB converter does not work. If you are lucky, return the cables to radioshack.

If you can afford to drop $40 on the hardware, then buy a USB programmer and give up on the JDM. The USB programmers will work on any computer. Here is one that I have used on both XP and 7:

http://www.keeelectronics.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=52

If you really want to use the JDM programer you bought for $7, then go find a 7 year-old desktop. Those were the last real serial ports ever made. The problem is that even though the COM port is active and the programmer LEDs flash correctly, the USB->serial converter cannot provide the 13Vpp programming voltage required to flash the PIC. The software may even same that programming was succesful if you do not try to verify that the program was flashed. This is a very common problem with JDM programmers today.
[Quote from Gamermodz via Viking forums]
Don't be jealous your not half as smart. I hate ****tards like you. An ignorant redneck. Your nothing but a posing ******. Get the **** out of here, really, your claim to fame is an open source rapid fire code? You make me laugh. You think you have control over the modding market?  You couldn't create what I can and do. You are too ignorant with your outrageous assumptions and accusations. [/Quote]

Offline tempermodz

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-2
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 09:23:02 AM »
Thank you I guess that's what happens when I try to be cheap lol..
well I already order a different one from keelecteonics. It cost me $25.
it has for all PICS. And it looks more advance.

Well thank you for helping. I've finally got it working on my older windows do desktop.
but I've already made the order of the other. Thanks to y'all. ++rep

mod:please stop double posting (whitetop)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 12:32:05 PM by whitetop »

Offline standard85

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 06:02:57 PM »
Its alittle late for this reply, but I guess it wont hurt. I also have a mini JDM programmer and had trouble with it on every program but PICPGM, the solution is to use a DB9 cable with a real Serial Port like Hazer suggested and  connect the JDM Programmer before starting up PICPGM. After you have the programmer connected, start up PICPGM and go to hardware setting, on left side of the window select JDM Porgrammer from the list of different programmers, on the right side select the COM or Serial Port your programmer is connected to. At the bottom of  Hardware settings is a Tab to Test programmer Click Enable then it should say programmer is connected, if not try the test agian. Go back to the main PICPGM window then insert your chip in the programmer, then at the top of the window select the type of chip you are using. In my case it would be the 12F683, the LED on the programmer will start to blink, when the LED stops blinking Load the HEX code you want then click program. If needing to Erase chip before loading new HEX. It should be good to go with the bar indicating successful.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal