Author Topic: weird 2 rrod  (Read 1113 times)

Offline wolf212851

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Acidmods User
weird 2 rrod
« on: August 25, 2011, 11:31:29 AM »
i tried to fix one of my project xbox 360's it keeps getting the 2 rrod but here is the funny thing.
i can fix the 2 red rings with the case off but when i put the case on it goes back.
plus the disk drive doesn't read the video games right it will pop up as play DVD i tested it with four different video games.
mortal kombat,gears of war 1 & 2 and halo 3 odst it pops up the same for all of them.
if im right the 2 red rings is a heating problem but everything seems to work fine all but the disk tray.
i cleaned the case but well the case is pertty bangged up so i dont know if i should get a new one or not.
but the disk tray is really confusing me should i get a new one?
and what else should i do to prevent it from over heating once i get it back together.add more fans or something?
this is something i really need help with.i never could get this same xbox off the 4 red rings but from one of the broken ones i switched the fan and even the power button and got it to here.
i want to get this one fixed so i can let my step dad use it already to do what he wants with it.because i put to much money into my elite to let him use it he kinda has what i call the black thumb of destruction.
so please tell me what i need to do.

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
  • Electronics Expert Electrical Engineer
Re: weird 2 rrod
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 11:53:41 AM »
2 rings is for overheating for sure. I think you could be bumping the heatsinks out of alignment when you put the drive back in and fit the case back on. But why your drive doesn't read things could just be dust on lens (just my guess).

dude you live in lancaster! thats cool i dont live very far from there.

Follow my Instagram and subscribe to my YouTube

Offline magic_man185

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +16/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 12:27:01 PM »
Yea the 2 red lights is definitely overheating.  The drive saying games are DVD sounds like it is missing the DVD key, did you mess with the firmware on the drive? As for the red lights, make sure you are using plenty of heatsink compound, and another little thing you can do, before you put the fan shroud back on, make a little divider out of cardboard or something, put it in the fan shroud to separate it so that one fan cools the CPU and one cools the GPU. I did that on my old Xbox and it seemed to help.

Offline wolf212851

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 12:42:02 PM »
well im careful when i comes to taking it apart.but the disk drive i never messed with anything.i got it off my friend but they clame they didnt even open it yet screw where missing and what not so i have no idea what they did to it.

Offline magic_man185

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +16/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 01:12:25 PM »
If screws were missing, someone messed with it, whether it was your friend I couldn't say.  Was the warranty seal on the front broken?

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
  • MODDER, REPAIR, CUSTOM IDEAS.
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 03:20:54 PM »
Wolf these guys gave you  some great information, 

1st thing I suggest is  ,  if the screws are missing and the seal was broken, then good chance they have changed the dvd drive and  no longer have the proper dvd key that goes with your mobo.

2nd thing , to stop the over heating issue you could take it apart, I would check the board over to see if its warped, if its not warped and want some help I can  guide you along with the re-flow proccess,  and  you want to get some artic silver 5 paste, you dont need alot but it can make a difference if you use the wrong stuff or put too much AS5 on it.

3rd once you solved the over heatting problem at least you can use it for a good dvd player if you  wish. being it doesnt play games there isnt much you can  do at this time to fix that. let me or someone else know what you want to do. before going anyfuther.

Feel Free to PM me.
Rodent(Local Moderator)

Tracey: I cant believe Rodent of all people made my damn day
3D0: snacks cartoons and naps  lol sounds like rodents typcial day :rofl:
Rodent consoles mods

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal