Author Topic: New PS3 Circuit Board - VX5  (Read 2344 times)

Offline Viking360

• Club AM VIP
  • Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Acidmods User
New PS3 Circuit Board - VX5
« on: August 31, 2011, 09:26:57 PM »
New VX5 circuit board is now out in the wild...  This one in the pictures below came to us from within a Jungle Green controller.  Employees threw out the retail packaging before I could check the SKU numbers.  Distributors are releasing new model of PS3 controllers in 2-3 weeks starting with new SKU numbers 99xxx.  Previously, all the SKU's for controllers being sold by major distributors started with 98xxx.  Those 98xxx SKU controllers were coming with VX4 boards inside.  I expect that these new SKU 99xxx controllers will be housing the new VX5 circuit board!

There is a modification to the battery pack on the VX5.  They have removed the white battery space/braces from underneath the battery pack, and instead molded clips and spacers into the battery pack case itself.  This change could affect anyone who was producing and selling their own brand of aftermarket battery pack.

If your modchip fit neatly underneath the battery pack on a VX4, don't worry, it should still fit under the battery pack on the VX5.  Other similarities at first glance?  "Standard" modchips that worked with the VX4 (using the "pulse train voltage dip detection" method) will work with the VX5 as well.  Ours did - with no changes to the software and no changes to our wiring schematic.  The COM1, COM2 lines are located at the same place as on the VX4 - at the TP17 and TP18 solder points just next to the PS3 controller CPU.  The signals on the left and right thumbstick press (L3 and R3) haven't changed either.

If you are using a specialty mod like Hazer's free button remapping mod, somebody should take a close look to decide if the traces have moved.  I did notice that TP1 moved from the VX4 to VX5, so surely other traces or solder points may have moved as well.  If your mod uses "standard" points from the VX4, then you should be able to slap that same modchip into a VX5 and start playing.  I don't have any spare time right now, so unfortunately don't expect any hi-res board scans from me for the VX5.

Offline yasin

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
Re: New PS3 Circuit Board - VX5
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 02:00:41 PM »
nice share, thanks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal