Author Topic: antique engine questions  (Read 1427 times)

Offline RyanF

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Acidmods User
antique engine questions
« on: September 04, 2011, 09:13:46 PM »
I have recently got an engine from my grandpa and I haven't found anything about it.  I know it is very old, before the days servos were around.  This engine has caused so much anger over the last 6 months and I haven't even found out what gas it uses.  It has the numbers 2183 on it and I don't know anything else about it.  I just want to have an engine that I have fixed and be able to see it run.

Offline Nevbox

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +12/-5
Re: antique engine questions
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 12:16:40 AM »
You probably have better luck on a car forum.

Offline RyanF

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 11:25:42 AM »
yah I figured that. I just know its to an old airplane that is maybe 50-60 years old.  Its from the days before they had glow plugs and servos.

Offline PsychoticWolf

• C.H.A.O.S Where art Thou.
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +27/-0
  • Team CYBER
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 12:45:16 PM »
Well Tell us all the markings on it please if it has a name and so on. I might have an Idea what Kind of engine this is. Can you please take more cleaner photos of it and all sides top bottom cause Right now I believe you have it upside down.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 12:59:49 PM by PsychoticWolf »

For the awesome Sigs Thanks goes to: Blazinkaos, Chef Boyardee
O o
/¯/________________________/
{ IMMA FIRIN' MA LAZAAAAAR!!!!!!
\_\¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\
RyanF: lol im not that sick.  I don't feel like licking the s*** off a 40 year old guy's ass
RyanF: you want me to lick your crusty old buns dont you?
2/20/2012 at 08:55:34 PM

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
  • MODDER, REPAIR, CUSTOM IDEAS.
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 12:45:45 PM »
see if there are any numbers or serial  numbers or  a name on it and google it or post them  maybe  we can  help  search for  it

Tracey: I cant believe Rodent of all people made my damn day
3D0: snacks cartoons and naps  lol sounds like rodents typcial day :rofl:
Rodent consoles mods

Offline PsychoticWolf

• Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +27/-0
  • Team CYBER
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 01:00:38 PM »
Rodent I might know this engine or at least the era it came from. I need better photos taken of it and I really think its upside down.

O o
RyanF: lol im not that sick.  I don't feel like licking the s*** off a 40 year old guy's ass

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
  • MODDER, REPAIR, CUSTOM IDEAS.
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 01:03:30 PM »
Lmao it is upside down ,

Tracey: I cant believe Rodent of all people made my damn day
3D0: snacks cartoons and naps  lol sounds like rodents typcial day :rofl:
Rodent consoles mods

Offline PsychoticWolf

• Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +27/-0
  • Team CYBER
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 01:28:47 PM »
It is a Drone Diesel engine, .29 cubic inch displacement. But I had a feeling it was a Drone I wasn't 100% sure until Bill Confirmed it.

EDIT- But I sent MECA President Bill Mohrbacher and email This is what Bill Told me from the images. "It is a 1948 engine  They are not very rare.  Near new in perfect condition they go for $125-$135.  This one is used and there are scuff marks on the case and the gold head, even can be seen in the fuzzy picture"

EDIT- Here are the emails.
what I sent
Hello Bill Mohrbacher, I was searching online for antique engine sites for model plane engines. My friends grandfather gave him a Plane engine, Now my friend doesn't know anything about other than it has the numbers 2183 on it. and These Pictures. Now In the pictures I believe he has the engine upside down. Do you know this or know someone who can give me the information on it? Attached are the Images of the Model Plane engine.
His Reply
It is upside down - It is a Drone Diesel engine, .29 cubic inch displacement.
What I sent
Thank you very much! and for the quick Reply. I see, again thank you very much. Would you happen to know how old this is? My friend thinks it might be 50-60 years old.
His Reply
It is a 1948 engine.  They are not very rare.  Near new in perfect condition they go for $125-$135.  This one is used and there are scuff marks on the case and the gold head, even can be seen in the fuzzy picture.

Bill

--------------------------------------

Lesson here is, The Interwebz are not just for Pr0n and Youtube.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 02:08:19 PM by PsychoticWolf »

O o

Offline RyanF

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 02:29:07 PM »
Thank you! this fixed so many questions I had.  I wish I had known it was diesel earlier because I would have had it running already.  btw I already knew it was upside down because of the letterings of the word "drone".  I just had it that way because there wasn't much to see on the top.  I forgot to mention that in the pics. It seems my guess of the age wasn't very far off.  So just out of curiosity, what diesel fuel mix should it take?  I saw a site on the internet that said something about a 40% diesel mixture with the other 60% made of some other material.  Should I find a mixture or use the stuff they sell at the gas station?  And where can I find a plane for it?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 02:37:31 PM by RyanF »

Offline PsychoticWolf

• Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +27/-0
  • Team CYBER
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 10:09:49 PM »
Thank you! this fixed so many questions I had.  I wish I had known it was diesel earlier because I would have had it running already.  btw I already knew it was upside down because of the letterings of the word "drone".  I just had it that way because there wasn't much to see on the top.  I forgot to mention that in the pics. It seems my guess of the age wasn't very far off.  So just out of curiosity, what diesel fuel mix should it take?  I saw a site on the internet that said something about a 40% diesel mixture with the other 60% made of some other material.  Should I find a mixture or use the stuff they sell at the gas station?  And where can I find a plane for it?

My Son, Now is your time to search Google. Or Inquire about your engine with the MECA. For they know more than me. I just had an Idea it was a diesel Drone.

O o

Offline RyanF

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 09:32:44 PM »
lol yah I already started searching but I haven't found any manuals but I did find this: http://modelenginenews.org/ad/drone.html
it seems to be very detailed info including mixtures and the history of it and how to run it.  Anybody know where I can find SAE 20 or SAE 30 oil in the US? Or pure ether? it said you cant find ether anymore because of drug addicts  :boxed: I would rather get SAE 30 oil because I wont have to worry about castor gum.  I have a guess that places like hobby parts or an engine shop would have these but idk.  Oh and btw I'm getting a "3D helicopter."  Cant wait to fly again since my mom called me by the radio intercom while I was flying under some trees, causing it to fly into them while I was practicing my hovering.  NEVER use a 72.79 mhz band around my house unless you are ready to sacrifice your aircraft. I just want to try a piro flip since this will be my 1st 3D heli. Its going to be a size 450. was going to get a raptor 50 until I saw the size was 4 ft long and the price for the frame alone was over $300.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 09:44:34 PM by RyanF »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal