Author Topic: My new PSP after 2 years....MODS ADDED HERE  (Read 5017 times)

Offline thearkman2009

• Registered BST
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Designing Innovative Mods
    • SteelROMs
My new PSP after 2 years....MODS ADDED HERE
« on: December 03, 2011, 01:57:08 PM »
UPDATE 12-23-2011:  I have been working for the past week, on my dual memory card mod.  Strange issues.  I have one genuine card, and one MicroSD to Pro Duo adapter.  The genuine card gets recognized in both slots, so I know the slots are working, but the one with the adapter never works, or shows up as 0kb for the size.  I also cannot format the adapter card within the PSP.  I formatted it my computer, and it shows up and works there, but not on the PSP, in either slot.  I'm a little stumped as to why.  Im using pin 9 (VCC, power) to switch between the cards).  If this doesn't work with two genuine cards, I'm going to try using 1, 6 and 10 (ground), and see what results that brings.  I cant use my PSP in the mean time though.  lol  One thing I hate, is that the pins for the  memory stick slots are so fragile, you cant leave them hanging in mid air, they either pull out, or shift side to side, and short to the frame (ground).  It really makes this mod a pain in the ass.  But I want to see if I can get this working.....AT ALL!  I know I'm close, but I just need more time.  And time for me right now is VERY short.

Ive started doing my mods on my new PSP after 2 years (or more).  These are pics of my current progress.  Will be updated as I do more work.  I will update this OP when I can.  Details about my mods coming in a bit.

A couple of the pics show how I did my Trigger LEDs, without cutting into the triggers themselves, and keeping the triggers working just like they should.

For the right trigger, I had to find a way to route my wires so that they didn't interfere with the UMD door unlock mechanism, and didn't go into the battery compartment at all (for a clean battery fit AND clean visually)

The left speaker wires for the sound reactive LEDs were routed a little different than I have seen on here.  I notched a path into the side of the speaker wall, and then took a right, and routed the wires down, underneath the memory/WIFI board, then back up on the top, which is right where my LED sits.

I did the USB charge mod first, but instead of routing the wire around the edge of the motherboard, I pushed it through one of the gaps in the USB plugs mounting (soldered) points, and then down a bit, and across the top of the motherboard, so as not to interfere with any other wires or parts (permanently)

CURRENT MODS (as of Dec 4, 2011)

* Blue LED triggers (sound reactive, direct contact)
* Blue LED WIFI swap
* Blue LED MS swap
* Blue LED power swap
* Green LED charging swap
* UMD drive removed
* USB charge mod

NEXT UP (currently in progress)

* Blue LED's in bottom speaker holes
* Convert metal UMD drive rack, into PCB rack (makes use of the 4 stock, rubber mounts)
* LM386 sound reactive mod (changed up a little, and added to the PCB in UMD door)

PLANNED

* UMD door cut and put in a clear window
* Add blue LED lighting effects to certain parts of the PCB components
* Add a couple motors with moving parts that are LED lit (in concept stage at the moment)
* Clear buttons all the way around, including the joystick, and all will be lit blue
* Remake my home row LED mod
* Dual analog nub (still debating this one for several reasons)
* LED's in threaded holes on the top of the unit
* Internal "permanent" second memory slot (switchable with a side mounted switch) for a Pandora memory stick
* Blue LED's in the front "speaker holes"
* Up to 4 additional speakers (OEM), located in the UMD door, LED lit in blue, driven by a separate LM386 setup
* Blue LED lit USB port (internal area of the USB port would get blue light.  Don't know why, probably just because I can)
* Blue LED lit "PSP" logo in the UMD door (either constantly lit, or sound reactive, have decided yet)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 01:30:06 PM by thearkman2009 »

Offline alpha_goat

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Re: My new PSP after 2 years....MODS ADDED HERE
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 02:42:14 AM »
haha, i'm on the exact same deal.

just realised how cheap shells/replacement parts are now, going to revamp my psp before putting it in storage.

what gauge wiring did you use for your usb charge mod?

looking good, any chance you've ever seen the nub on this psp?
by far the best i've ever seen/used

Offline thearkman2009

• Registered BST
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +2/-0
    • SteelROMs
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 09:01:59 PM »
I believe it was 30 or 40, I honestly cant remember.  Im going to say 30.  Which nub are you referring to?  I would like to do the dual analog nub mod, but thats a LOT of work. 

Offline loboplayero

• hardcore psp modder!!
  • MFH
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +14/-0
  • specialize in psp led lighting!!
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 09:38:56 PM »
looking forward for this glad to have u back!!!

Offline thearkman2009

• Registered BST
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +2/-0
    • SteelROMs
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 01:13:49 PM »
I'm currently using a Windows app to design an 4-layer PCB with all the goodies, including all SMT components where possible.  And I'm considering LED lighting for most of the components directly, which would give the unit a more"power electronics" feel and look.  I'm still undecided on that right now though.  The custom PCB is definitely going to happen though.  One thing I'm running short on is blue 0603 LED's, and honestly, I'm not sure where I bought my last set from.  I have a crap load of PSP parts (most broken, as they were used for testing), including screws, speakers, power sockets, resistors, caps, boards, connectors, and more.  If someone wants to trade some blue LED's for some parts, I'm more than willing to help out.  Also, if you have a broken PSP 1000 BACK shell, I could use another to test out a new flush-mount switch mod.  Ive torn up the one that I have (spare), and don't have any more right now.  I have PayPal too, so I am willing to buy parts as needed if that works better.

Biggest thing I need help with is the dual nub mod.  I have never done one, and haven't really seen a good way to do them, that doesn't render the shell unable to be screwed into the faceplate where the power port is.  I would have no issue removing the power port, but I need the case to be able to shut properly, with screws.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 12:55:47 PM by thearkman2009 »

Offline alpha_goat

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 06:35:52 AM »
http://www.destructoid.com/tgs-a-better-look-at-the-monster-hunter-psp-new-nub-184262.phtml

that nub, don't know why it didn't work before.

and i've got 2 back cases, black + white..

how much you offering for 'em? ;)

Offline thearkman2009

• Registered BST
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +2/-0
    • SteelROMs
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 12:56:31 PM »
Im not really sure.  I will have to get back to you.  Im working on these mods as I have the time to do them, and after I finish the mods before them.

Offline thearkman2009

• Registered BST
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +2/-0
    • SteelROMs
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 08:49:54 PM »
Dont worry, I didnt forget about this project.  lol  I have been working 3 jobs recently, and I havent had much time for work on the PSP.  I will be back at it once my new clear buttons arrive.

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 06:46:16 AM »
Life Happens!!! just keep at it. I have a feeling there are good things to come

Offline thearkman2009

• Registered BST
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +2/-0
    • SteelROMs
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 05:58:35 PM »
Well, back at it tonight.  I will take some updated pics tonight, and upload them.  Is there a limit to the number of pics I can link to in the post?  I know there are as far as attachments, but linked pics, like to PhotoBucket, is there a limit?

Offline thearkman2009

• Registered BST
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +2/-0
    • SteelROMs
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 01:32:07 PM »
Updated OP.  If anyone would like to donate new memory card slots (just the slot, not the whole board), or any small Pro Duo cards (I dont care what size.  They could be 16MB for all I care), that would be awesome.  Would really help kick this project into a higher gear.  Any help or advice is also welcome.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal