Author Topic: Relay Circuit Help  (Read 3824 times)

Offline SixtyninNaMoose

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Acidmods User
Relay Circuit Help
« on: September 18, 2012, 12:54:56 PM »
I need help making a relay circuit for my speech recognition device. The device has 10 9v output pins which gives continuous current. I need the current to be converted to 1-3v momentary current for wiring to xbox buttons. I need it to switched closed for only 1/10sec or less. I bought my speech module from imagesco, they sell a relay separably but it cost more than the speech module. Relays seem pretty simple. can you guys help me?

would this work? http://www.oldradio.com/current/cont2mom.htm

or this?
http://www.the12volt.com/relays/page5.asp#ctm

also i was looking at the relay from imagescohttp://www.imagescompany.com/pdf/sri-02.pdf and noticed something.
the output current jumps to a 160k ohm resistor to a 100k ohm resistor to a 1N4007 diode to a 2N3904 transistor and finally to the 5v relays. The math is to confusing but its seems thats it's possible to duplicate it? Can you explain whats happening in this circuit?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 03:22:57 AM by SixtyninNaMoose »

Offline SethMods

• Registered BST
  • King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +17/-1
  • Acidmods User
Re: Relay Circuit Help
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 07:29:44 PM »
I really think your best bet to change a continuous signal into just a pulse is going to be to wire it through a PIC.

You can take the 9V down to whatever voltage you need with a simple voltage divider (2 appropriately matched resistors). Then have a simple program that pulses on a change.

I'm still a little confused on that part. I get that when you say "A Button-On" that the voice recognition goes live with that signal. But to get it to activate again do you have to say "A Button-Off" and then "A Button-On" again? Or do you program it to toggle where one command changes it back and forth from high to low each time?

If I am understanding correctly then something like this could be written for a PIC in about 15 minutes.

Offline SixtyninNaMoose

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 09:54:47 PM »
I'm not exactly sure either. the way the manual is written, it doesn't say. I emailed the company, if I hear nothing by morning i'll use the meter and see whats up

Offline SixtyninNaMoose

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 12:03:58 PM »
ok the company replied. when a word is spoken the voltage goes high to the assigned pin and stays high until a new word is spoken. You can not switch the pin to low, you can only change which pin goes high.

Offline SethMods

• Registered BST
  • King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +17/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 12:06:52 AM »
Ok, then I would definitely recommend using a PIC then.

With a PIC you can easily push the buttton on a change vs only when the pin goes high.

So you say "jump" and the pin on the module goes high. The PIC interprets a change and pulses to press the "A" button. You say "jump" again and the pin goes low. The PIC again interprets a change and pulses to press the "A" button.

Offline SixtyninNaMoose

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 02:07:53 AM »
oh ok, I'm getting what your saying. So by using a pic, every time i say "jump" the button will get a pulse. High or low, it doesn't matter because the pic will convert the continuous  current into a pulse. As far as the voltage goes, all you need to do is reduce the output voltage with properly rated resistors.

So easy would it be to program a pic to do this? Will each output pin require it's own pic or can 1 pic be used for all 10 pins?

Offline SethMods

• Registered BST
  • King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +17/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 04:10:50 PM »
Yeah, one PIC can do it all.

...assuming it has enough pins.

Offline SixtyninNaMoose

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 11:20:30 PM »
Can you hook me up with the coding or do you know someone that might? I know I could post a thread but if possible I want the most direct rout. I can put everything together, just need code & help picking the right pic to get.

Offline SethMods

• Registered BST
  • King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +17/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 01:27:39 PM »
Yeah, that's not a problem.

Do you need all 10? If not, I have a great chip in mind that can do 8.

Offline SixtyninNaMoose

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 09:22:35 PM »
8 is fine, what you got?

Offline SethMods

• Registered BST
  • King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +17/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 10:46:37 AM »
Actually I mis-spoke.

I was thinking about using the Max because it is already setup, and if worse comes to worst then we can always reprogram it via USB.

But with the way that I have it setup we could only do 5.

Why don't we use that and just use two of them?

How soon did you need these? I know you have a lot of other projects going on.

Offline SixtyninNaMoose

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 12:49:07 PM »
Well I kinda fudged up on my mod off, the left trigger is stuck on and I just can't figure it out. So all I'm doing now is the voice controller & figuring the trigger out. Besides that i'm looking to be done by end of mod off.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal