Author Topic: LEDS Dimming when controller vibrates  (Read 3367 times)

Offline iJoemo

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
LEDS Dimming when controller vibrates
« on: November 29, 2012, 01:22:47 PM »
Hello I recently purchased these Blue LEDS from eBay and installed them and everything went well, however when I fired a weapon which made my controller vibrate the LEDS flickered and dimmed as if they were loosing power.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300793677921?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Later research found that the LEDS that i bought had a large Forward Voltage : 3.2v - 3.8v
And that the recommended voltage was 3v-3.4v? (Not fully sure, something around that)

So I wanted to know what forward voltage to look for to make sure that they worked all the time without flickering even when the battery is low or its vibrating.
These were the other LEDS that I were looking at which had a forward voltage of 3.0 - 3.2
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Mod-Kit-Xbox-360-Controller-Player-ROL-Blue-/170683050833?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameAccessories_VideoGameAccessories_JN&hash=item27bd80ab51

So yeah all I want to know is what forward voltage i need to look for and if those second leds will work without dimming, thanks for all responses!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 01:43:01 PM by Rodent »

Offline Tenac

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Pothead
Re: LEDS Dimming when controller vibrates
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 02:55:14 PM »
Two fully charged AA batteries give off 3.0v, but as they lose juice, they can go down to  ~2.0v.  For blue and white LEDs, 3.0v is the lowest forward voltage you'll find, which will result in dimming at ~3/4 battery.  As far as I know, there's no alternatives or ways around this.

Different colors require different forward voltages; red, orange, and yellow can all stay lit with only ~2.0v, so they should never dim.  All the other colors require ~3.0v.

If someone has any other tips or advice, please share lol, I hate this problem.

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
  • Electronics Expert Electrical Engineer
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 02:57:48 PM »
If the Forward voltage of your LEDs are higher than what the battery can pump out (about 2.2 to 3 volts) then Yes the LEDs will dim when the controller vibrates. Any LED that has a smaller forward voltage of 3.2 Volts will be perfect for an xbox controller.

Follow my Instagram and subscribe to my YouTube

Offline iJoemo

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 11:53:53 PM »
If the Forward voltage of your LEDs are higher than what the battery can pump out (about 2.2 to 3 volts) then Yes the LEDs will dim when the controller vibrates. Any LED that has a smaller forward voltage of 3.2 Volts will be perfect for an xbox controller.

So do you think that the second leds will work better than the first because they have a lower forward voltage of 3-3.2v

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 05:01:48 PM »
Yes. Also keep your batteries charged too... just as Tenac mentioned.

Offline SethMods

• Registered BST
  • King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +17/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 08:06:00 PM »
I'm just thinking out loud here, but I wonder if you could add a capacitor (to the battery power) to prevent the dimming.

In my experience a lot of the rumbling that goes on is pulsed to some extent. (i.e. rumbling to coincide with the burst fire of a M16)

I don't think it would work if the motors were constantly going.

...might be worth a shot.

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 05:17:22 PM »
I'm just thinking out loud here, but I wonder if you could add a capacitor (to the battery power) to prevent the dimming.

In my experience a lot of the rumbling that goes on is pulsed to some extent. (i.e. rumbling to coincide with the burst fire of a M16)

I don't think it would work if the motors were constantly going.

...might be worth a shot.

You would need a big capacitor... I'm talking 2,200uF or greater! Even then you would get poor results.

Offline Tenac

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Pothead
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 09:46:49 PM »
What about putting a Joule Thief inside a wireless controller?  It wouldn't take up much space,  and I believe it could keep LEDs lit until the batteries completely die.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-Joule-Thief/?ALLSTEPS

My only concern is the difference in the voltage output from when the batteries are fresh to when they are almost dead.  Would the same resistor be able to regulate the voltage from full-voltage to when the battery is dying?  Or does that not matter since it's only the voltage that varies, not the amps?  Maybe even combine this with a capacitor when it's outputting excess voltage lol.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 04:32:54 PM by Tenac »

Offline Icyhaze

• Dirty Dev
  • Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User Personal Modder
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 06:40:55 PM »
If the green and blue ones require the same voltage why do the green ones work fine and not the blue ones?

Offline Phantom

• Club AM VIP
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +11/-1
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 04:58:37 AM »
they dont require the same voltage, the stock green LED's will have a lower forward voltage.

Offline Icyhaze

• Dirty Dev
  • Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User Personal Modder
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 10:07:59 AM »
Ohhhh, alright, i was reading online the greens were the same, must be different greens from the stock.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal