Author Topic: C.O.D. Black ops 2 dual controller mod  (Read 5512 times)

Offline The End of A Heartache

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Mr. Martinez
C.O.D. Black ops 2 dual controller mod
« on: September 07, 2013, 06:48:16 PM »
Got a new controller in the mail today. Went ahead and fixed the issue and at the same time decide to work on a wanted mod.

Planning on doing a dual swap controller.

Since the first one has orange button and black theme shell

the one I am doing will be orange shell and black theme button including a part of bullet action button in black
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 06:48:55 PM by The End of A Heartache »
...emo freak out! >.< ........

random is fun

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Mr. Martinez
Re: C.O.D. Black ops 2 dual controller mod
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 06:20:32 PM »
So today florida weather got the best of me -.- I hardly had much time to paint anything. Few times did the sun come out but as always being south florida sun shower.

So this is as much as I could have done today.

I used a dummy shell and sprayed my icon out. Since I don't like my icon to look new I went ahead and scuffed the area which left the icon looking used. Love the way it looks.

Because of the crappy weather the paint can were to cold to use and at the end you can see the chemical in the can etched some of the plastic. Even with sanding the marks will still be visible. Thank god this is only a mock shell.

None the less it looks very good.

I used 600 grit to scuff up the controller. But since 600 leaves a lot of deep scratches and marks I went ahead and took out my old 1000 grit and with a little water leveled the scuffs down to a mat look.

Tomorrow if weather (south florida weather) permits I will do a couple spray over of clear coat over my area and see if I can regain some of the gloss back.

random is fun

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Mr. Martinez
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 03:29:04 PM »
So continuing where I left off. The weather has been nice and hot during most of the day here in sunny florida.

I manage to get some clear coating down on the test shell which I plan on using as my main shell.

Well the coolest thing about the wet sanding the shell and clear coating is having a cool texture like appearance. The controller it self feels very gripable but the texture I think looks wonderful (Sorry for the blur camera focus is bugging out while trying to take this shot)

The black ops2 logo with the texture looking shell looks awesome to me anyways XP

I went ahead and used two piece of scrap carbon fiber vinyl.

I think it looks good :)

Well I wanted to make this a low budget controller mod but I ran out of clear coat spray so time to earn more cash and buy more products.

Along with that I plan on buying a new controller shell in orange. I wanted to paint the controller what end up happening is making a mess of the shell. I need to get myself some paint remover or thinner and try to clear the shell up. Might do a completely white controller ;) future mod not sure.

random is fun

Offline ViSioNXx

• Global Moderator
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • PC Guru
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 05:24:46 PM »
Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Mr. Martinez
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 06:18:55 PM »
Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

thank you

random is fun

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Mr. Martinez
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 04:12:48 PM »
Alright so I took the day off from working on a :censored:ed up tablet and de-stress while working on my controller mod.

So my first Blackops2 controller finished

My second shell after painting, Very beautiful neon orange nearly glows on its own

You can already see the paint as it was curing started to shift down by gravity and break apart :/ This happens when the cure between coats doesn't set right. Because of the rainy weather the nice 80 degree got down to 72 degree and the cure process never took on right.

I also missed a couple hidden spots :/ this is why it was important to hit it with the white before the orange. Without it the black shell starts to show up.

Beside this main "little" things the paint as it start to cure bundled up around the D-pad and action button hiding the nice detail of the the shell from sight. I don't like the way it came out so I am going to have to scrap this shell. On the bright side, Since working on multiple electronics I was able to turn in my work and pick up my pay after bills and paying back a friend I am left with just enough to actually order an orange shell from ebay and more bullet buttons. :)

« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 04:20:24 PM by The End of A Heartache »

random is fun

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Mr. Martinez
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 05:56:06 PM »
Well back again.

I finally got my SMD in the mail. I order 0805 but now seeing them I think I should have went with 0603 which would be smaller :/

I have held onto my pulse vu2 for the longest and though I might use it on this mod.

Planning is important so I  did my research and planned out my wiring. Since my controller version is 4.10 (similar to 4.09 and 3.05)

I am still having a little trouble with the wiring. Since the the SW (switch) needs to be introduce so the pulse will go from fade mod to pulse mod I do not know the best place to tap on the board.

I was thinking of doing http://diy.sickmods.net/images/pulsevu-SW-button.png as directed by sickmod but since last time using the pulse vu2 the wierd factor that the switch works sometimes other times it would invert the command :/ so I want to make sure I can have the switch working using the board.

as for the AL & AR i will be using the negative connect for the pulsing motor. But unsure if that will work.

My new controller shell as well as bullet button might come in a week early :) so I have time for then to test it out.

Just a side note on the diagram.. TP 14 and TP 11 are both + one is for the LED and the other leads to the battery. You can use either for power to the pulse vu 2

That is it for now :)

random is fun

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Mr. Martinez
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 06:16:22 PM »
Well got my order of the cast bullet button in the mail today.

I wanted to see how the bullet will look if I drill a hole in them and layed some LED that will be connected to the pulse vu2

Since I have 4 more UV smd left I will be using them for the bullet unless I can fit a 3mm LED inside the caps.

I flatten out the side and drilled an escape hole where my wiring will go throw. This didn't honestly took me long to do when using a sanding drum on a dremel tool. I used a small 1mm drill bit for the side.

Last thing to wait for is my controller shell which will be painted with the fluorescent orange I have. Then a test fit followed by a test run of my pulsevu 2 lights :)

random is fun

Offline ViSioNXx

• Global Moderator
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • PC Guru
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 06:29:13 PM »
Nice. I think I used 5mm for mine and they turned out well. I even used the round top leds but would recommend "tophat" leds if you can for a more pro look.

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Mr. Martinez
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 06:48:35 PM »

That mod looks great vision :) Hmmm I don't have any tophat I might do a test fit and mark off where I can sand down to flatten the top I have done it before just need a flat desk and 400 grit sandpaper.

random is fun

Offline ViSioNXx

• Global Moderator
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • PC Guru
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 06:51:24 PM »
Great idea. Wish I would have thought of that. You could also use the round or the smd's and cover the tops with "Mod podge" or a simiular substance. Thats what I was planning to do but it got sold to fast hahah.

Oh and thanks. That was my very first set of bullet buttons, Made those from spent shells and hot glue lol.

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Mr. Martinez
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 07:20:13 PM »
Oh cool :) true bullet buttons haha

I have some hobby rubber glue. problem its very thick will have to coat the inside of the shell then slide the LED in and wipe off the over flow. It is a strong bond. Takes a week for the glue to cure and bond tight but dries in minutes.

I just did a test fit 3mm will work nicely but notice something that might cause a problem. The xbox bullet button is a little longer than the ps3 buttons. When I slide the LED in the legs poke out far. I might either have to mill the inside so the led will fit nicely and fill  around the LED with hot glue or try to see how close I can solder the line to the LED and paint the inside so it won't be conductive. My plan either way is to paint the bullet button in black to match the rest of the button and trigger.

I found this button on ebay for around $7, there replica zinc cast bullet button. I see a lot of different color bullet button online now for the ps3 controller which is how I got them in orange for the black ops2 controller.

random is fun

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Mr. Martinez
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 05:42:28 PM »
alright so I got the bullets done and I think it came out nice. Not how I wanted them originally but this will work alright.

So a quick view of how I turn 3 mm dome to flat hat. Just need a flat surface and 400 grit sandpaper. The trick is to get it close to the filament but not to thin out the top or the filament will start to burn through.

Originally I wanted all the bullet button to be all black. but looking at it like this it didn't look all to right to me. Especially filling around the LED with hot glue. it didn't look right nor feel right at all.

Using the scrap controller shell I did a test fit of the bullet button. I had to cut out slots under for the wire to sit nicely.

When the new shell comes in, I will redo the same cuts done for the wiring but with a little more space in between the slot.

As you can see the Uv LED fit nicely Vision I think I would have gotten away with using 5 mm LED but I only had 3 mm so I went ahead and squeeze a dab of hot glue in between to hold then down. I also sanded the paint off the top using 1000 grit sand paper. It was just rough enough to take the paint off without scuffing the bullet tops.

Well Next step is to paint the new shell once it comes in. Hopefully it will arrive before the end of controller mod deadline. Till then :)

random is fun

Offline ViSioNXx

• Global Moderator
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • PC Guru
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 06:05:32 PM »
Yeh man. The 5mm fit nicely when I drilled the cap out. I drilled the whole cap instead of just the center. They look pretty good. That mod podge stuff I spoke of dries hard and clear was why I suggested it. I have been meaning to pick some up since I have a few ideas for it. Cant wait to see them finished.

btw, what ever happened on the rgh and the cyberskull mod? I have not seen any updates but I may have missed them..

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Mr. Martinez
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 06:29:40 PM »
I was thinking of drilling it out more doing what you did, taking the center completely out to the edge but would have been a little more work, the weather is crazy this time of the year it either humid and hot or humid and rainy. So time is important, beside I do like those circle dip especially filled in with black paint like that. Moving my hand over it feels nice and smooth. And yeah I don't have much cash to buy more things or I would have gotten that modder podge, instead I went with the quick easy way and using low temperature glue gun to do the fill in. Don't mind if it starts to yellow out pretty soon not gonna notice much while I am gaming lol. My mother birthday is coming up in two weeks so i'm saving what I have left over for a surprise for her, Taking my mother out to a Chinese buffet. 

Oh I couldn't do the RGH :/ it wouldn't work on the 4gb. I bought a DGX and converted it to RGX and even that wouldn't work. So I have to call it a fail on it. Rodent has a 4gb, he got a CR3 lite and tried to xell with that with failed attempt as well.

The cyber skull is finished just haven't been able to sink more money for some good UV Ccfl. Need to find my other power inverted and get a 12 v 1 amp power transformer form my dad. That way I can add more black light and take better picture. 

random is fun

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Mr. Martinez
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2013, 01:22:44 PM »
So back to the update.

I got my controller shell in today and right away I began to paint. The day has been nice and hot with 89 degree weather which from my weather app says it feels more like 95 degree couldn't argue with that as sweat was balling down the back of my shirt.

Leaving my new shell to bake in the sun for acouple of hours

The end result looks very nice. Sorry for the little blur kind of hard holding the camera and a cup of ice cold water lol

The paint came out very silky but I still need to clear coat to protect the paint from rubbing or chipping off.

Spot the spider man looking

Well got nearly all I need to finish. Going to do test placement and fitting of the bullet button mark where my wire will sit and do a little of cutting.

So after some time marking and positioning the button on I went ahead and cut out where the wire can slide between and through.

The true test is to come. Right now the silicone pad fits nicely on top.

Where the slots were cut in for the wires.

How the bullet button will look like :) They look nice.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 07:11:05 PM by The End of A Heartache »

random is fun

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Mr. Martinez
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2013, 09:52:46 PM »
So a quick view of my mod so far. i got the top shell clear coated and a quick run of the LED FADE  mode while the system is on off (stand by)

Will post a video tomorrow.

random is fun

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal