Author Topic: DualShock 4 Controller PCB scans  (Read 347465 times)

Offline galvheim

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Re: DualShock 4 Controller PCB scans
« Reply #270 on: June 09, 2020, 01:29:44 PM »
Hi. I got a JDM-055 with liquid damage. I need value for R61
Help is  highly appreciated. Thanks in advance. And thank you for amazing work on the PCB scans. Do anyone know if there are schematics out there with values of components?

https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/21Qe3OJQHp6QdSDQ.full

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #271 on: June 09, 2020, 01:47:58 PM »
R61 is 100k, 0402 size.

Good as you'll probably find schematic wise for an -055 right now. https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,44645.0.html
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline galvheim

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #272 on: June 09, 2020, 02:12:10 PM »
Thank you so much!  :clap:
I saw that schematic, but only a very few values that I could spot on it. But still pretty useful.

Offline theADDict

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #273 on: July 06, 2020, 01:34:10 PM »
Hey folks, especially RDC of course, I have a JDM 030 problem.

liquid damage.
replaced membranes and cleaned....all works fine except the PS button
problem - the contact pad is totally gone from the PCB, and the pcb is damaged both sides.
Not bad, I expected worse.
So if i can leave/glue a wire to complete the circuit to membrane, is there a via or point I can solder to... to return PS button to normal ??

thanks all

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #274 on: July 06, 2020, 02:30:30 PM »
It's on borrowed time, because even if you get all of that stuff out of there that you can see, there's going to be plenty of it you can't. Giving it a bath in an ultrasonic cleaner will give it the best chance, but it's also likely to cause some more issues if it washes away any corrosion that's still acting like a trace. Hard to win on those, depending on how bad the damage is.

Top side of the board, just to the right of the MCU (the big Spansion chip) is a jumper pad. It looks like a circle with a strip missing in the middle so the 2 halves of it are open. The bottom side of that jumper pad is the PS button line. Connect a wire to that bottom side only, then to some new Tact button, then ground for the other side of the new button and that will act as the PS button.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline theADDict

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #275 on: July 07, 2020, 06:33:32 AM »
RDC, amazing knowledge and helpful reply as always.

Decided to try a wire from bottom 'burger bun' pad and leave where missing contact was.
Didn't work at first, as too raised, but scratched a groove, added some tape to reverse and case to make additional pressure when closing case, and voila, all buttons including PS working.

thanks again.
Another happy lockdon kiddie.

Offline theADDict

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #276 on: July 14, 2020, 01:30:09 PM »
hey folks,
back again with another Ds4 problem I'm not accustomed to.
Never really bother fixing DS4 aince I got so many fakes given to me.

anyway, this one is legit, and seems to have a pretty common problem, but no concrete reason or fix.

simple issue - press L2 trigger and pretty often left stick reacts up by itself.

unsure wether to go new left stick altogether ?
mew control membrane  ?
or just a new vetical stick sensor to try first ??

but out of interest abd gaining knowledge, how can LT signal interfere with LS vertical ?!?!?!?!

thanks RDC and all in advance

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #277 on: July 15, 2020, 09:49:32 AM »
Press the Reset button on the controller first. Make sure the battery is connected and charged. If that does nothing then twist and tweak on the controller a bit to see if that LS issue will happen without touching the L2 at all. After that tear it all down and clean everything good and resolder the LSY POT and try again. After that start guessing, cause I've never seen that issue and the L2 and LS don't have anything at all in common aside from both being connected to the MCU.

Offline theADDict

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #278 on: July 16, 2020, 12:15:31 PM »
hi mate, forgot to update....so in case anyone gets a similar problem, mine seems to be fixed.

Testing on gamepad-tester.com
ps4 ds4 jdm-040

LT made left stick move up by itself ?!

removed green cover on left sensor of left stick, cleaned, clicked back together.
no change.
replaced whole capacitive/control film as I had a few new ones
no change
desoldered left sensor, replaced with an old one from an old xb1 spares stick, broken shaft.
gave the stick an alcohol clean in and around, good blow out too.
Tested.....perfecto !!!

still no idea why LT can efffect LS Vertical. but hey ho.

Offline theADDict

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #279 on: July 18, 2020, 10:16:54 AM »
hey all.

if this is the wrong place to post these ds4 problems, lmk.
I am a newb, dont mind admitting.

Todays issue...
JDM-055 - lovely lightly used condition......but dead.

have a jdm-055 myself luckily....so did the usual -

used my charged battery - nothing.
used my usb board and ribbon - nothing
(tested the original usb and battery on mine, charged fine)
connected to pc - nothing
removed board to check for damage , all I could see was a slight residue on the back ?! cleaned with isopropyl.
even decided to put in a new button film, and I swear, as I was reconnecting usb or battery, I got a blue light flash or two !!
HOW and WHY ?

but then nothing, still dead all over which way.

so....which components shall I head to on the pcb? where can I look to save this minty condition controller ?

as always,
thanks in advance.
I just love trying to fix stuff :-)
Fixed a guitar amp for an old neighbour last week, he was so chuffed, warms me :censored:les.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #280 on: July 18, 2020, 11:53:13 AM »
Go over the entire board first and compare it to the working one for any missing parts, then do it 3 or 4 more times as it's easy to miss some of those tiny things on there.

Those boards that look brand new but are dead can be difficult to work on. Try the Rest button on it. Then check that Reset button and make sure it's not shorted as that would keep the thing from starting up. After that, depending on what kind of residue was on the thing, comparing it to the working board will be your best bet to try and narrow the issue down, but it probably has a bad PMIC or MCU chip. Could get lucky and have a shorted cap somewhere, as most new things don't up and go boom when they fail now, also makes for tracking down a bad part on a board tons-o-fun sometimes.

Offline ZhenyaKa

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #281 on: September 08, 2020, 09:50:32 PM »
JDM-030

D92003MW - looking a little heating (IR camera). Without battery 100mA power consumption. There is no any voltage at battery connector when USB connected.

Is this dude dead?

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #282 on: September 08, 2020, 10:12:10 PM »
Should have ~4v on the Battery connector with USB connected, measured with no battery. You can find that chip on Aliexpress and eBay.

Offline ZhenyaKa

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #283 on: September 08, 2020, 10:57:24 PM »
Should have ~4v on the Battery connector with USB connected, measured with no battery. You can find that chip on Aliexpress and eBay.

Yes, I know about voltage. Is this chip charging controller?

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #284 on: September 08, 2020, 11:28:20 PM »
Yes it's the PMIC on that board.

Offline TheGame1594

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
0.38 volts on battery terminals
« Reply #285 on: September 13, 2020, 03:50:46 AM »
i have a jdm 055 controller here and took a look at it for a friend. i thought it would be easy to fix but guess what.

Here is a summary :

- if i measure the voltage at the battery connector i have just a voltage of 0,38 Volts if the battery is fully charged like 4 volts i get 0,40 Volts and so on.

- i have measured the capacitors for shorts and did find one.
  i thought it was shorted (circled in red) (i removed it and measured it and it is fine no continuity if not on the board )
  the short is on the board where the capacitor sits on. So i put it back in place.

After that i traced from this capacitor where it goes. And the traces seem to go to the black thingy circled in red (what component is this ?) and it has zero ohms so i think this one is gone or the ic but since i dont know what the heck the part is i cannot confirm if it is okay or not.

-I already did a google search but couldn't find the big ic part (s2p6001a) circled yellow on the picture.

It would be nice if there is someone out there that could possibly help me out here with more knowledge of what the heck is going on with this controller.

best regards to all. Did find this forum on google great mods and nice people for controller knowledge

edit:

i did change the text for a better understanding and it is a little shorter version now.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 04:04:02 AM by TheGame1594 »

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #286 on: September 13, 2020, 04:02:59 AM »
The large black part is an Inductor, smaller one is a Cap.

That's not a 6 in the part number, it's S2PG001A. It's the PMIC and a few other things rolled into that chip. You can find it on AliExpress.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 04:05:21 AM by RDC »

Offline TheGame1594

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #287 on: September 13, 2020, 04:06:32 AM »
thanks rdc you are the best. I did read a lot here from you and your knowledge about this kind of things are real impressive.

What do you think is here the culprit ?

i have changed the text for a better understanding maybe you could help me out here ?

what part is this black block?
 :fear:

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #288 on: September 13, 2020, 04:12:12 AM »
It's the PMIC, Power Management IC, does the battery charging and all the regulation. It also does the Rumble motors, onboard audio and a pile of other crap. https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,44645.0.html

With that Inductor removed, you should measure a meg or two across the spots on the board where it was. If it's measuring shorted with it removed then that PMIC has died.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 04:12:40 AM by RDC »

Offline TheGame1594

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #289 on: September 13, 2020, 04:19:59 AM »
thanks for the help really appreciate it will try that now
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 04:21:03 AM by TheGame1594 »

Offline TheGame1594

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #290 on: September 13, 2020, 07:09:20 AM »
i tryed it now and i dont know what to do with my results now.

i measured the resistance between the coil where it was and the result is fluctuating between 10k and 43k i dont know if this is normal i dont have reference for it.

if i reset the controller it is 10k and goes up until 43k. The coil it self seems odd too it has non to maybe 1 ohms max.

what is now the culprit?

if i had another coil i would try that do someone know which value the coil should have? i could maybe make an inductor for it  to at least try it out :D

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #291 on: September 13, 2020, 07:21:18 AM »
Inductors have to be measured with a meter that can check Inductance, it's going to measure close to a short checking it like a Resistor because an Inductor is just a coil of wire.

That Resistance measurement needs to be made with no power applied to the board, USB disconnected and Battery unplugged.

Offline TheGame1594

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #292 on: September 13, 2020, 07:34:49 AM »
hey rdc i know that but since i dont have a meter that can measure Inductance i did the resistance method.

i have installed the coil back and i (re-flowed) but it is still all the same.

the controller sometimes connects to the pc without the battery and it lights in kinds of lights sometimes it is like in a disco.

I still think it could be one of them but not sure which one inductor or ic because of the behavior of the controller. A coil is a little bit like a capacitor it take sometimes a few seconds on the controller until the lights go on. And then it lights in a variety of colors :D.

i appreciate your work and effort and wish you a nice weekend. But i will tell the guy what i did find out if he wants me to fix it or get a new one.

best regards to all of you.

Offline NeoHoth

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #293 on: January 12, 2021, 12:07:08 AM »
Hey! Received a used ps4 controller with JDM 040 board. One component on the board is missing that is shown in red circle on the picture. Could you be so kind to specify what is this component and it?s specs? Thanks in advance!

P.S.: light bar is not working and thumbstics are jittering ?> could be related to this missing component??? :eyebrow: , but it is changing and button presses are registered. I tested this controller?s power board by connecting it to another controller - it is fully working and LED is fine.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project

Offline cicciotto88

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #295 on: February 01, 2021, 12:21:45 PM »
Hi, I have remapped the 4 buttons x, o, trinagle, and square on a ps4 JDM 011, initially it worker, but after 10 minutes the circle button was permanently pressed, then the x also. I checked for shotrs on ground but there wasn't any. What can be the problem?

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #296 on: February 01, 2021, 12:33:58 PM »
The first thing to do, is undo whatever you did in there and see if it goes back to working.

Offline cicciotto88

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #297 on: February 02, 2021, 04:55:05 AM »
yes I have undone everithing, all work fine

Offline Portu40

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #298 on: February 18, 2021, 04:13:09 AM »
Hello i hace a problem whit my controller 040. It wont pair whit the ps4.
Any help please

Offline Portu40

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #299 on: March 12, 2021, 04:05:53 PM »
Hello, good night, I have a problem with a 011 model, the ps button does not work. and the membrane is not the problem

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal