Author Topic: EXT port pinout request  (Read 13248 times)

Offline MCorgano

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
EXT port pinout request
« on: February 04, 2020, 03:44:48 AM »
I'm looking for good info on the EXT port of the ps4 controller. I know it can be used for charging, and that is what I intend to do. I ordered some pcb's from OSHpark that should work as suitable connectors, but I need the pinout of the port itself. Does anyone know where I can find more information?

Also, the recently released ps4 controller back button attachment appears to communicate through this port. Anyone know which pins / how that works? Has anyone tried to reverse engineer the back button attachment yet?

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
Re: EXT port pinout request
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 05:55:33 AM »
I messed a little with that thing ages ago, never really went anywhere back then and even made up some OSH boards to make poking around with it easier.

No idea how you have pinned it out there number wise, but I did mine like this as it's how they numbered them on the JDM-001 version boards.

Holding the controller normally and looking into the connector.

Code: [Select]
13-11-9-7    <-- Top row
          O  <-- Headset port
12-10-8-6    <-- Bottom row

6 - GND
7 - GND
8 - Detect (10k to 100k PU) This pin is grounded in the Back Button Peripheral
9 - SCL (4.7k PU)
10 - * 
11 - SDA (4.7k PU)
12 - External 5v Input, where the charging dock applies 5v
13 - 3.2v

* Pin 10 is Not Connected to anything in the JDM-055. It is connected to the MCU thru a 33ohm on the JDM-001.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 09:14:44 AM by RDC »
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline MCorgano

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 04:01:05 AM »
Well that's a lot more info than what is available on the ps4dev wiki https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps4/DualShock_4
Most of it is blank. They show pin 8 being an EXT detect, being pulled high by an internal 10k resistor. Most the info on there is old, so I'm guessing their measurements were on a 001 controller.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 05:32:48 AM »
Roughly the same on the -055, though it's 100k, but all 3 of those DATA_x lines go thru a divider network on that one, so they could be anything. The other 2 are 4.7k PU, so could be it's I2C they used there or some variation of it. It wouldn't be difficult to snoop on the lines and see what they were doing with some peripheral plugged in, but then deciphering it might be a real headache.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline MCorgano

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 11:51:35 PM »
REALLY hoping they do this for the back buttons. Hoping the guy from the PCB scans thread does some good scans of it so we can map it out.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 01:29:45 AM »
What guy is that?

Even if you reversed the entire PCB to make a schematic, which given how that thing is probably built means ruining it so it will never work again, you'd then only have a piece of the puzzle to making your own work thru that EXT port. Then you'd need another one to poke and prod around on with the LA while it was used to try to figure out what does what. I'd imagine there is probably some kind of handshake twaddle to deal with first, so the controller interrogates what's plugged into it, then if you get past that it might be as simple as sending certain commands for certain buttons, as I'd suspect they offloaded all of that onto the Back Button device, but reversing a PCB, then a protocol, then mimicking it so it works correctly are 3 pretty decent sized hurdles there.

Offline mrt

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 04:38:13 AM »
Got some more info on the back button attachment. The chip itself is a NUC029TAE ...
Datasheet: https://www.nuvoton.com/export/resource-files/PB_NUC029_Series_EN_Rev1.04.pdf

Full res image: https://i.imgur.com/YtYBVXI.jpg

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2020, 09:20:06 AM »
Thanks. That's about what I'd have expected to see in one of those, a 32bit chip with who knows what on it. Are you planning to dig any deeper there, or just going to be a PCB tease? ;)

Offline mrt

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2020, 09:41:10 AM »
i want to ... but not sure if i have the suitable tools. just got a simple logic analyzer. will give it a try at the weekend .

any possibility to get an adapter pcb to plugin between? do you have already some designs which you would like to share?

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2020, 05:02:17 PM »
The board I made years back was just to plug into the controller, it's not any kind of pass thru adapter that you could tap off, which would also need a connector from a DS4 on it. That's what you'll need if you don't want to do any soldering on that board.

You could make these work. Wire up a 10 conductor IDE cable with a header in the middle to tap the LA onto, but again will need a DS4 Headset connector (SMT version) to install on the one board. Shouldn't be any need to deal with the Headset jack/plug as it's most likely just a pass thru on that device.

EXT Breakout - https://www.acidmods.com/RDC/DS4/DS4-EXT/DS4%20EXT%20Breakout.zip
Headset Breakout - https://www.acidmods.com/RDC/DS4/DS4-EXT/DS4%20Headset%20Breakout.zip

Offline mrt

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2020, 01:58:47 PM »
:tup: boards and parts ordered. will take a while under current circumstances.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2020, 02:07:32 PM »
That thing should plug into the EXT port alright, but if it seems too tight you may need to slightly groove the edges of the PCB a little bit, like the actual connector for the Back Button attachment.

Offline Lightea

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2021, 03:10:12 PM »
Hey, when i was looking for info for this Port i found most of it here. Thanks for that already, but the thread is a bit older and is there even more progress?

Offline str41

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2021, 03:16:41 AM »
Any progress so far for anybody? I just seen 3rd party back button attachments (search for PS4 Rear Extension)

I'm really interested in making a diy version of it, and maybe more buttons. I can help with designing a case for it and 3d printing it.

Thanks!

Offline MCorgano

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2021, 04:33:32 AM »
Any progress so far for anybody? I just seen 3rd party back button attachments (search for PS4 Rear Extension)

I'm really interested in making a diy version of it, and maybe more buttons. I can help with designing a case for it and 3d printing it.

Thanks!
This thread is about as far as anyone got
https://acidmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,44697.0.html

As far as hardware is concerned this thread is solved. We more or less have the pinout (enough to make charging docks anyways). As for the logic side of what data can be sent or recieved check the thread above. I doubt anything will really come of it unless there is like a leak or something at sony.

Offline vahotm

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2022, 05:41:18 AM »
This thread is about as far as anyone got
https://acidmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,44697.0.html

As far as hardware is concerned this thread is solved. We more or less have the pinout (enough to make charging docks anyways). As for the logic side of what data can be sent or recieved check the thread above. I doubt anything will really come of it unless there is like a leak or something at sony.

Does that mean that it is enough to use only pins 6,7 as GND and apply 5V power to pin 12 to charge controller through EXT port? Or is some kind of handshake still required?

PS. I looked through mentioned thread, but didn't find required info.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 05:41:58 AM by vahotm »

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2022, 07:01:20 PM »
Ground can go on 6 or 7, doesn't have to be both, but can be if you want. Then 5v on pin 12 is all you need. The actual charging dock has a little more in it than just those 2 wires, but that's all that's needed to charge the controller from that port.

Offline goblinbutler

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2023, 03:31:38 PM »
Hey there, sorry to necro -again- but hoping to buy some of these! Any idea if there are any left or any means of producing more? Thanks!

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2023, 04:10:35 PM »
Some of what?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal