Author Topic: I screwed up my Elite Series 2 and need help  (Read 538 times)

Offline killerfrost

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
I screwed up my Elite Series 2 and need help
« on: April 19, 2021, 11:01:22 AM »
Hello, I?m still a beginner to doing repairs and I think that fixing one problem caused more damage. The LB button on my Elite Series 2 controller had become pretty unresponsive (it took a lot of effort to make it register and only did so part of the time). I did some research and decided it must need a new tactile switch.

I replaced it, and when I put the controller back together, the D-pad was skipping, ABXY were unresponsive (with the exception of A which has a weak response, but not enough to register a command), and the thumb sticks don?t work. I took it back apart and replaced the D-pad sticker to see if that would help with that problem at least and put it partially back together. The same problems remain.

I?m not sure if I fried something when I replaced the tactile switch or what could possibly be wrong. I?m hoping someone can point me in the right direction of what I should be looking for or testing. Thank you.

Offline wickated

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
Re: I screwed up my Elite Series 2 and need help
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 11:06:03 AM »
never ever touch elite boards without proper equipment, they are very hard to solder, so with cheap equip you basically do damage instead of repair.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 11:13:24 AM by wickated »

Offline killerfrost

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 01:41:19 PM »
I did notice that desoldering was so much more difficult on this controller and the first Elite controller than on any other controller I?ve ever worked on. I have a Hakko desoldering gun and that didn?t really make things any easier. It?s like the solder doesn?t want to melt. I recently upgraded to a Hakko FX-888D digital soldering station, and that?s what I used on this, but it was still difficult and I may have had the temperature too high. What happened with yours?

Offline zis2104

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 04:19:39 AM »
T12 is my favorite solder, and buy flux original, not by china

Offline wickated

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 08:39:56 PM »
I did notice that desoldering was so much more difficult on this controller and the first Elite controller than on any other controller I?ve ever worked on. I have a Hakko desoldering gun and that didn?t really make things any easier. It?s like the solder doesn?t want to melt. I recently upgraded to a Hakko FX-888D digital soldering station, and that?s what I used on this, but it was still difficult and I may have had the temperature too high. What happened with yours?
you should use big fullcopper tips for such applications. cuz elite boards have thick copper layer inside.
I?m hoping someone can point me in the right direction of what I should be looking for or testing. Thank you.
we need high qualty photo of region where you did work on your controller.

for elite 2 board damaged only this level of repair was possible cuz throughholes were damaged

and this is proper stick replacement on elite1

Offline killerfrost

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 04:12:07 PM »
Thanks for the tip about the copper tips. I?ll definitely get some before doing any more work on elite controllers. Here are a few pictures of the board I worked on. The part I worked on was the top right of the back of the board. https://imgur.com/a/GFtK1mK

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal