Author Topic: Drift Fix Analog Stick Fix PCB Mod  (Read 1549 times)

Offline thyaguster

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Drift Fix Analog Stick Fix PCB Mod
« on: July 25, 2022, 05:48:20 AM »
Hi, does anyone have any experience with these Drift Fix Analog Stick Fix PCB Mods?

Found at least 2 different mod versions for sale on chinese sites...I like the idea as it would help a lot with calibration when installing new sticks on controllers.
It would also obviously help in the future to remove drift that may/will develop with time...

I'm worried about quality/reliability on these though, that's why I ask if someone has experience with them.

These look somewhat better quality and are more expensive:

Offline LethalPrime

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
Re: Drift Fix Analog Stick Fix PCB Mod
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 02:14:35 PM »
You can do this yourself by installing the SMD pots instead of buying the pcbs

theyre not drift proof either way like people want them to be.

Theyre only meant for you to be able to re calibrate the center and if the carbon filter is too far gone on the stick pots then you're still going to have noticeable drift only a replacement can fix

Offline thyaguster

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 03:45:46 PM »
Yeah, though of that, but not sure I would be able to secure them properly, don't want those pots getting lost inside the controller the first time someone drops it  :taunt:
I found the cheaper PCBs for 0,70? each, so not a big deal either even if each controller takes two.
I always go the replacement way anyway because it's the most reliable and it's easy/cheap enough for me to replace them, but sometimes they're harder to calibrate and I don't really like messing with the pots positioning.
So this way would help setting them after replacement and would give people (or me) a little headroom down the way for calibration.

Anyway thanks for answering, always good to have multiple opinions.

Offline szadon

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2022, 03:53:37 PM »
I have the top ones but not using them because even slight calibration for example on right make analog not able to go fully left. Maybe other versions are better but that top one isn?t worth any money. I read somewhere that 10k ohm trimmers can be use for better results but never tried.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 01:35:17 AM by szadon »

Offline Andrunin

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2022, 08:35:16 AM »
50k pot in parallel also scales down the range. What is the difference whether you use 10k or 1m ohms? Doesn't the trimmer have a fixed resistance after calibration?

Maybe it would be better to put it in series instead of parallel, because we kind of just want to offset the resistance and not scale it.idk if that would help.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2022, 04:27:04 PM »
The higher the value used the less impact is has current wise on the circuit. Remember there are 4 POTs in there that all use the same power rail. So 4 x 10k in parallel is really a single 2.5k load on there, but you toss in 4 more 10k and now it's a 1.25k load and now it is using twice as much current. Using a higher value, like 1M, it will still change the voltages of it, which is what the MCU is measuring to 'see' where the stick is, but current wise you've changed it from a 2.5k load to a 2.475k load, not a big enough difference to really matter.

Placing it in series is far more work as you would have to place it on the correct side, or both sides and use twice as many parts, and it would really stuff up the divider. Unless you used some trimpots with more turns that you'd want to turn so you could dial in that very minute value, whereas tossing them on there in parallel is quick and easy, and unless the stick is really way off it's not noticeable, and if it is way off then trying another stick or POT should be done first before trying to dial it back in with a parallel one.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal