Author Topic: would this work like a tv....  (Read 5354 times)

Offline zbblanton

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +5/-0
    • My modding site
would this work like a tv....
« on: December 11, 2007, 03:54:19 PM »
i have a screen form a old dvd player i took out and i was wonder could i have like a video  input on it and it work?

like cybers guiter screen?

Offline pinoyballa

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: would this work like a tv....
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 03:05:39 PM »
im not sure but if the dvd screen had a video input than it would probably work.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 03:36:29 PM by pinoyballa00009 »

Offline robin1989

• Site Owner - Site Maintenance & development
  • Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 03:23:25 PM »
you may find that those 3 wires comeing off are the imput whires so may be composite

i am not responsible for what i do or my advice

Get the iPhone 4s from Three using Quidco and recieve £109 cashback

Offline zbblanton

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +5/-0
    • My modding site
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 06:44:18 PM »
well it had the video port but it was output so

Offline Tec_

• EL-Wire King
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • EL Wire King
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 06:14:11 AM »
spam much zbb

but yeah i think the 3 are the vid out.

Offline Rory

• ZOMG, A Deda!!!!!
  • Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Eyy lmao
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 02:24:04 PM »
Thinks,
1 of them is ground
1 is 5v (or something :P)
1 is the input (composite)
whip out a multimeter on the board you ripped them from.
Quote from: IndyChav
I think that the king of spam should be immune to the punishment for posting spam everywhere, so post away Rory :tup:
Quote from: FreeK
couldnt of said it any better.

Offline MattZani

• Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Matthew Dear
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 11:59:57 PM »
Black is ground
Red is Voltage
Yellow Is the Yellow of composite

Thats my guess.
Retired Modder, minor dabbling from now on :P

Offline bacteria

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Games Console System Modder
    • Bacteria's site
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 12:22:40 AM »
Correct, yellow is composite, red is right audio and white is left audio. You will however also need to locate Ground. This is fairly easy to locate as multiple contact points on the mobo will be connected, you can find them with a multimeter (or   a couple of batteries, an LED and two pieces of wire would work too, rig it up so the LED comes on if the two wires make connection). Without ground, you won't get anything from audio or video.

Offline Rory

• ZOMG, A Deda!!!!!
  • Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Eyy lmao
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 07:04:30 AM »
@Bacteria:
I don't mean to call your expertise on the subject into question but...

That looks like it is just a screen, no speakers, it would be pretty pointless to put sound input wires onto something with no speakers :S

Sorry if I have just shown you up xD
Quote from: IndyChav
I think that the king of spam should be immune to the punishment for posting spam everywhere, so post away Rory :tup:
Quote from: FreeK
couldnt of said it any better.

Offline bacteria

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Bacteria's site
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 08:04:02 AM »
Rory, there are no speakers in the pic but obviously there were some in the DVD player before the system was taken apart. Unfortuately given the rest of the system and mobo wasn't posted in the pics, it is hard to gauge what is what.

When I take my PSone screen apart there are no speakers attached or plugs either, only the screen and its mobo; this is no different to what zbblanton seems to have done. Sorry you think making a silly point as you did, would have any reflection on me, rather onto you. If you look at the pic more closely you will see on the bottom pic that there is a ribbon cable at the bottom of the screen; that would connect into the mobo. This was not in the pics, yet is vital. It is not easy to give advice when most of the information is missing.

There are the possibilities below, given the lack of other photos to assist:

(1) yellow = composite, red = right audio, black = left audio  (playing safe). Normally it is yellow, red, white; but I have known systems to be yellow, red, black.
(2) normally a red wire is positive and black is negative power; the yellow = composite - normal wiring colour scheme anyway.
(3) red herring - the mobo that the screen connects to via the ribbon cable has the video and audio feeds, since they are not pictured here we can't help.

I was playing it safe, as if you put voltage across the speakers you might get white noise, or you could blow a fuse on the board, it makes it more sensible to think the red and black wires are audio, if they aren't then power; they are likely to be one or the other however.

The only sensible thing is to trace where the wires came from - if the red and black wires came from a power plug then that is your answer. If the yellow wire goes to a standard video plug then that is your answer. You still need common ground however as they are needed by the video and audio streams - this will certainly be on the screen mobo.

You need to know how much voltage and amperage the screen needs too; if you put too little voltage to the system it won't work, and too much will blow a fuse or fry the board. Look on your battery or adapter for this info.

Offline Tec_

• EL-Wire King
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • EL Wire King
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 06:50:53 AM »
im not going to argue with you, im just trying to wrap my head around this.

why would audio be coming off the screen? that doesn't make sense to me. isnt that little board on the left side just the power supply the black is a neg and the yellow and a red are different supply voltages all of the video input to the screen is done through the ribbon cable, right?

thats just what makes sense in my head

Offline bacteria

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Bacteria's site
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 09:20:08 AM »
Video signals in > mobo > ribbon cable > screen. The ribbon cable connects the mobo to the screen but the inputs (audio and video) are via cables - either single (eg composite cable and audio cables are all separate plugs) or a multi-cable (as on the PSone screen). The wires in the pic are not coming off the screen. Sometimes the connections are on a daughter board, normally the contacts are on the main screen mobo.

Anyway, as stated, pics of the rest of the system innards are needed to know what is what.

Offline Tec_

• EL-Wire King
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • EL Wire King
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 10:21:42 PM »
what could you tell me about this?

Offline bacteria

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Bacteria's site
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 12:58:52 AM »
I will help as best as I know. Unfortunately, there are many many types of screens and mobos running them. I have got very used to the workings of the PSone screen, although there are some similarities:

Top pic: the white and pink wires power the flurescent tube in the screen, the orange band under it is to do with the screen too, the black and red wires from the plug at the bottom of the small mobo is for the speaker; black is negative (ground) and red is the audio data (+). There will be a similar plug with wires for the other speaker too (as per pic 3).

Ribbon cable (pic 2) connects from the lower mobo to the screen to output the signals. Assuming your system can input composite video signals then you need to find these wires from the composite plug and use them, you can then plug whatever you want into this to display on the screen, as long as of course the screen is powered. If your DVD player does not input composite (or RGB for that matter) then you have a problem - not all players do.

I hope this helps. It would be worth googling for a datasheet or PDF about the DVD player you have, and the screen it uses.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal