Author Topic: thinkng of modding  (Read 3674 times)

Offline Ordanja

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
thinkng of modding
« on: December 29, 2007, 12:44:31 AM »
I'm thinking of modding and i have a few questions, first off, I've had my xbox for a year now, and never had any problems, so does that mean i dont have to worry about fans? and second, all I really wanna do is put my xbox in a new case and change out the dvd thing so u can see the cd in it, And MAYBE add some leds, do i need alot of experience for that?

TheG4mer

Re: thinkng of modding
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 01:27:58 AM »
Have you soldered leds before.

what do you mean by dvd. what do you want to do to  the dvd drive

Offline Neubit

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • [ nyōō'- bit ]
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 01:34:51 AM »
Well, my friend had his for a year and a half, then one day he gets the RROD right out of nowhere, depending on how you use your console it could take a few weeks or longer, if you plan to mod your box, i would say add the fans, there is ALWAYS room for improvement in the cooling of the xbox 360.

Putting the xbox in a new case is not hard, if you are cautions nothing can go wrong, make sure to get the case unlock tool and the right screwdriver, its all you need, no soldering required, and there are tons of resources to help you do a case swap.

If you don't plan cut your DVD drive yourself but get the xcm cover, its also easy to swap, a few screws out, replace cover, then screw back together, easy.

For leds it would require to solder to a power source which might be more tricky if you haven't got much soldering experience, but this can be your first :)

Overall all mods you plan to do are widley popular and you will be able to find all the help you need here :) Welcome to AcidMods Ordanja!

Offline Ordanja

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 01:50:43 AM »
what i mean about the dvd thing is i wanna put this in. and yes ive done a little bit of soldering and im not bad at it, I'll buy a kit if i do leds, and i was thinking i instead of getting a case i wanted to use this to cut a square in the side of my case http://www.totalconsole.com/servlet/the-120/WINDOW-KIT-CUTTING-TOOL/Detail?sfs=63fde795 then put this in http://www.totalconsole.com/servlet/the-135/X-dsh-ray-for-Xbox-360/Detail?sfs=63fde795becuz i think that would look cooler then a case and all that wouldnt really cost that much. im just looking to make it so people are impressed by it, thats about it lol.

Offline PSPotential

• Chaos Lover
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • [I Am] {The} (Arctic) <Soldier>
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 06:02:28 PM »
Xbox 360 modding is simple! i havent soldered led's in though - just buy fans and bits and bobs that have led's built in, its easier.
30 mins to take the case apart max - just need the opening tools.
if your having a clear case you absolutely need the dvd window and a chrome flow!

If you're from the UK, i suggest www.modchipfitters.com

Cheers For The Sig Indy! :)

Offline Skullmaster

• God Of Cars
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Admin Force, Co-Owner Wanna-be
    • Acidmods
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 09:56:47 PM »
Exacly what neubit said. Even if you do get the Red lights, you can fix it most of the time, and I'm not talking about the towl trick.... As for tools, you dont need special tools, a really small standard screwdriver will work just find, and hasnt let me down yet...

Offline freestyle72

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 09:53:58 AM »
Well, my friend had his for a year and a half, then one day he gets the RROD right out of nowhere, depending on how you use your console it could take a few weeks or longer, if you plan to mod your box, i would say add the fans, there is ALWAYS room for improvement in the cooling of the xbox 360.

Putting the xbox in a new case is not hard, if you are cautions nothing can go wrong, make sure to get the case unlock tool and the right screwdriver, its all you need, no soldering required, and there are tons of resources to help you do a case swap.

If you don't plan cut your DVD drive yourself but get the xcm cover, its also easy to swap, a few screws out, replace cover, then screw back together, easy.

For leds it would require to solder to a power source which might be more tricky if you haven't got much soldering experience, but this can be your first :)

Overall all mods you plan to do are widley popular and you will be able to find all the help you need here :) Welcome to AcidMods Ordanja!

There is no need to buy the case opening tool you can make your own for free basically and the correct screw driver is the Torx 10.  The tutorial you want to open your xbox is here :

http://www.clevermod.com/index.php?article=24

deda: Please hyperlink your link......Thanks! :)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 09:58:05 AM by dedafmonteur »

Offline h4x0r911

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 10:21:31 PM »
tool opening get this, cheap and works best:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6116

its free shipping!! it priced at what its worth.

as for cutting the dvd case and making custom tools, i have tried, annoying, and not dependable at all!

Skullmaster - Hyperlinked link
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 01:39:19 PM by Skullmaster »

PM me to let me know if you like my SIG!! lol!! or any suggestions or if it breaks forum rules!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal