Author Topic: lithium battery tips  (Read 2793 times)

Offline anthonyta

• MFH
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +1/-0
lithium battery tips
« on: January 07, 2008, 08:51:30 PM »
my brother was talking about these tips to keep your lithium ion battery lasting nice and longer. so i searched it up and found these tips. since the psp slim is new, everyone has a new battery right? so start it out good  :tup:

Tip 1: Contrary to what you may have heard, lithium-ion batteries do not need to be completely drained and recharged before using. They will still come to a full charge later if you start using them right out of the box. In fact, leaving your lithium-ion battery empty for too long (or too often) can actually drain battery life.

The good news is today’s lithium batteries have a safety circuit in place to insure the battery doesn’t reach the point of no return. The safety circuit isn’t full proof of course, if you leave your battery completely drained for a few days, even the circuit’s protective measures won’t save it.

Tip 2: Although you don't want to leave your battery sans charge for too long, every once in a while it does a Li-Ion battery good to fully drain and recharge. If your laptop or cell phone's battery meter is no longer accurate, this will calibrate the battery back to normal.

Tip 3: Don't let your battery heat up.

If you were to leave your laptop plugged in and running for a year, you should expect the lithium battery capacity to be anywhere between 60% to 80% of it’s original max capacity. This is why people that use their laptops as desktop replacements will notice greatly reduced battery life performance after one year of use. This issue can be resolved by removing the battery while using a corded power source.

Tip 4: When it comes time to store away your lithium-ion battery in periods of non-use, put it in the fridge with a 40% charge. The 40% charge is high enough to fight the battery from losing its charge and low enough to ensure the battery doesn't fall victim to "unnecessary stress."

Offline Reaper

• Fear the Reaper!
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Fear the Reaper
Re: lithium battery tips
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 10:11:26 PM »
I've had my laptop running for about a year and a half strait now and the battery is just as :censored:ty now as it was when i got it LOL

Offline anthonyta

• MFH
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 08:14:07 AM »
holy.. a year and half? ahaha

Offline kink192

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 09:21:30 AM »
how would we know when its at 40%?
It's been a long time

Offline anthonyta

• MFH
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 03:25:01 PM »
all things that use a lithium battery do have battery bars right? especially the laptop when you go to power save settings im pretty sure you see the amount your battery is at. just like when you go to battery info on your psp it shows a percentage. but you only need it at 40% if you're not going to use the battery for a long time

Offline kink192

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 06:06:00 PM »
ok, just recently got my psp so i dont know everything yet, but im gonna try this when i buy a new battery
It's been a long time

Offline anthonyta

• MFH
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 10:26:05 PM »
ahah tight glad i could help

Offline Korlithiel

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 09:06:53 PM »
I'm not sure the draining one is accurate, but from what I've heard of a better solution.

First you remove the battery for no less then 10 minutes. I believe this is to get the system itself to not hold anymore charge, unsure though since I haven't researched it.

Then you replace the battery into the system and let it fully charge before turning it on again.

This should return the battery to the maximum charge it can hold, and unlike your method it doesn't risk losing some of the maximum charge.

Offline anthonyta

• MFH
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 09:51:09 PM »
all i know is when you first get your battery you shouldn't charge it. you want the lithium to get a good memory so then you use it till its low (no bars) dont completely kill it. then charge it so it knows. good think about psp is you dont have to worry about over charging. you dont want to over charge so read about your lithium battery to see how long you should charge it for.

Offline Korlithiel

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 10:35:35 PM »
I've heard that you should fully discharge it without killing it when you first get the battery and from others that you should just give it a full charge before initially using it.

Unsure who to believe, never checked into it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal