Author Topic: Yes, another newbie to modding  (Read 1436 times)

Offline Shadic

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
Yes, another newbie to modding
« on: January 16, 2008, 08:14:36 AM »
Hi, I've only recently found out about this site when randomly browsing youtube one day and saw all the cool mods. I thought it would be a cool hobby to pick up. However, I've never really modded anything before. The most I've done is changed cases. I thought since my DS's warranty expired why not make it look cooler, after seeing all the mods done I know how I want to make my DS. However, when I found this site all the tutorials pictures were broken so I have no clue how any of the mods are done.

I already have my DSL's cosmetic make up in mind but I also want to add red LEDs to the R and L triggers as well as green LEDs to the bottom corner and white LEDs to the buttons.

Also is there a way to add a dimmer to those LEDs so I can adjust the brightness and when it's off it's completely off not using extra power. If not possible an off switch is fine. The pulsing lights to music is also cool I would LIKE to add that to the top of my screen if there's a switch to turn it off (it can become distracting after a while so having the option to turn it on and off at will is invaluable) But that mod might be too far beyond my skills to implement I probably should leave that one to the professionals lol.

I'm not very dexterous (though I have done SOME soldering before) so I'm trying to gather as much information as I can before actually doing the deed and permanently damaging my DSL. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 08:33:03 AM by Shadic »

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: Yes, another newbie to modding
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 10:11:05 AM »
Well I wouldn't know much in dimming LEDs, cept with a varaible resistor you can do that and control the dim, but then I'd have to find out how to wire it up to the DS, and perferably with an external source, so that you can turn them on and off at will while keeping your ds' battery in check. Btw:

Welcome to AM!!!(Acidmods) :D
Proud to be a: -Yugioh Player -ITG/DDR/PIU Player -Furry Fanatic - Knife Thrower -All around awesome guy :D

Offline TheMagnolia

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Sleepywood.net
Re: Yes, another newbie to modding
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 11:01:11 AM »
Welcome to AM, if you have any n00bish questions you want to ask but are too afraid to, stop by the beginner's section and post. :)

No question is too stupid.  (Says the one who couldn't figure out how to work a soldering iron... thanks Neubit for your help!)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal