Author Topic: ipod touch jailbreaking  (Read 8160 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
ipod touch jailbreaking
« on: February 05, 2008, 12:32:11 PM »
well ive never really been on this board and i was just looking around and saw people mentioning that they had jailbroke their ipod touch. i looked around for info and now know what it is but i got a few questions:

- i might consider getting a touch so im wondering if i could jailbreak that even if it had the latest firmware
- is there a possibility of bricking it like you can with a psp?
- how do you change the icons and stuff like that
- can you use msn messenger on it?

thanks a lot  :tup:

Offline IndyChav

• Original.
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +2/-0

Re: ipod touch jailbreaking
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 12:50:32 PM »
It's worth it and if you get it soon I think it's pretty much fine, if not i'm sure a way to jailbreak from the new fw would be found

I've never heard of any bricking but I straight up did it without looking at risks but it worked fine for me

once youve jailbroken get some sources and download summerboard and some themes then that changes the icons =]

ebuddy.net - its an online instant messenger that i use when im on a train or somethign for msn, works a treat :tup:

Hope this helps =]

Offline Sil3ntP3nguin

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Projects here and there!
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 03:02:22 AM »
I have a jailbroken touch but it doent read on my computer. it just says camera...

any idea's? itunes doesnt read it either..thx
I like tech stuff. Artist in all media's. Photographer. ps3 gamer. i7 computerer.
I sell domestic electronics online, work at a pizzeria, and sell more electronics
and get over $1000 a month doing it :D

Offline Nemesis

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 09:33:13 AM »
do you lose your warranty if you jailbreak it?

Offline IndyChav

• Original.
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +2/-0

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 10:28:02 AM »
hmmm i dont know to be honest, I mean its reversible and you haven't opened it up so i shouldn't think so but im not 100%

Offline robin1989

• Site Owner - Site Maintenance & development
  • Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 11:20:52 AM »
whatever you do do not take a jailbroken device into an apple shop they will void your warenty on the spot im sure of it. as its breaches there eula i think. make sure to re-virginise it before you do so

i am not responsible for what i do or my advice

Get the iPhone 4s from Three using Quidco and recieve £109 cashback

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 12:12:29 PM »
Yea doing the actual jailbreak does not void it, but you need to re-virginize it before you let apple see it or they'll void it. And Yes, no matter what firmware you have, even the newest 1.1.3, you can jailbreak. I'm pretty sure you can't brick it unless your a dumb:censored: who flashes a blank firmware, which there's no flashers so you're fine. Just restore and jailbreak again if there's any problems. To change icons, download SummerBoard once you're jailbroken and have Installer, then just download themes through Installer or your PC and place them on after logging into your iTouch from your computer through SSH. I have a tut up but it's in a staff section, PM me and I'll send you it if you want. Also, to use MSN/Yahoo/AIM you should download the application called Apollo. I have it,it's really good :D

Offline Nemesis

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 12:43:27 PM »
Yea doing the actual jailbreak does not void it, but you need to re-virginize it before you let apple see it or they'll void it. And Yes, no matter what firmware you have, even the newest 1.1.3, you can jailbreak. I'm pretty sure you can't brick it unless your a dumb:censored: who flashes a blank firmware, which there's no flashers so you're fine. Just restore and jailbreak again if there's any problems. To change icons, download SummerBoard once you're jailbroken and have Installer, then just download themes through Installer or your PC and place them on after logging into your iTouch from your computer through SSH. I have a tut up but it's in a staff section, PM me and I'll send you it if you want. Also, to use MSN/Yahoo/AIM you should download the application called Apollo. I have it,it's really good :D

yh i would of guessed that, i downloaded a theme coloured by yourself and it looks cool, when i get my touch if i do then ill post up my progress,

Thanks for the help everyone :)

Offline Sil3ntP3nguin

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Projects here and there!
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 01:49:13 PM »
yeah i cant see my ipod in "my computer" but my iTunes detects it. i need the whatever program/file thingy...

lol
I like tech stuff. Artist in all media's. Photographer. ps3 gamer. i7 computerer.
I sell domestic electronics online, work at a pizzeria, and sell more electronics
and get over $1000 a month doing it :D

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 04:38:40 PM »
There is no disk mode in iTouch Sil3nt, you CAN'T detect it in My Computer. You need to SSH into it, like I said Nemesis,you want the tut for SSHing and putting the themes on just ask. But silent, not for you. I'm only gonna give it to staff members for now,sorry. Just use google...

Offline FreeK

• a-LeeK
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Team CYBER for life
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 12:26:08 PM »
well ive never really been on this board and i was just looking around and saw people mentioning that they had jailbroke their ipod touch. i looked around for info and now know what it is but i got a few questions:

- i might consider getting a touch so im wondering if i could jailbreak that even if it had the latest firmware
- is there a possibility of bricking it like you can with a psp?
- how do you change the icons and stuff like that
- can you use msn messenger on it?

thanks a lot  :tup:

1- not yet, (stupid mistake) i restored my ipod and updated it, not jailbroken anymore
2- not that we know of yet- but if you dont complete the jailbreak/ unplug at wrong time, etc. can screw up and need restore
3- summerboard , customize, jailbreak programs
4- MobileChat, after you jailbreak, download the app in the installer

whatever you do do not take a jailbroken device into an apple shop they will void your warenty on the spot im sure of it. as its breaches there eula i think. make sure to re-virginise it before you do so

i have done that, showed it to them, they said give it to me, i said nope, and walked away, so yeah

There is no disk mode in iTouch Sil3nt, you CAN'T detect it in My Computer. You need to SSH into it, like I said Nemesis,you want the tut for SSHing and putting the themes on just ask. But silent, not for you. I'm only gonna give it to staff members for now,sorry. Just use google...

and pspkicks, im pretty sure if you turn on manually manage music, it makes you have to eject it and im pretty sure then you can access it from my computer, im gonna chack then update
heres the long awaited update- nope you cant, kicks your right
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 02:54:41 PM by 1Sniper »

Offline robin1989

• Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 02:09:47 PM »
1- not yet, (stupid mistake) i restored my ipod and updated it, not jailbroken anymore

just downgrade it then jailbreak octoprep to get to 1.1.2 then upgrade to 1.1.3 using installer to get a jailbroken 1.1.3

Offline FreeK

• a-LeeK
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Team CYBER for life
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 03:04:36 PM »
just downgrade it then jailbreak octoprep to get to 1.1.2 then upgrade to 1.1.3 using installer to get a jailbroken 1.1.3

i tried,
hold ctrl while clicking restore, chose the 1.1.1 recovery file, restore, didnt work though....
i think i tried with iphuc too

Offline robin1989

• Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2008, 03:42:58 PM »
what itunes version you running

Offline Nemesis

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 03:17:31 PM »
OH YEA YEA YEA!
got my new 8gb itouch today as a surprise present from my family for doing good in school..its late here and im charging it up but i cant wait to jailbreak it tommorow!!

EDIT: just found out its version 1.1.2 which im guessing its a good thing and i dont think it has january update, im putting all my music and stuff so ill check later, so 1 question, can i jailbreak it stragiht away or do i downgrade it to 1.1.1 the same way you downgrade it from 1.1.3 by restoring it etc?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 12:15:02 AM by Nemesis »

Offline robin1989

• Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2008, 08:45:59 AM »
actually its probably better i think to have an ipod that is recent cos then  you dont need to pay for the january update.
what you need to do is downgrade to 1.1.1 octo prep to 1.1.2 the use installer to go to 1.1.3 then sync with itunes at every stage and that way i think you get a jailbroken touch without any problems

Offline Nemesis

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2008, 08:54:51 AM »
actually its probably better i think to have an ipod that is recent cos then  you dont need to pay for the january update.
what you need to do is downgrade to 1.1.1 octo prep to 1.1.2 the use installer to go to 1.1.3 then sync with itunes at every stage and that way i think you get a jailbroken touch without any problems

soz i dont really understand that

EDIT: anyone know like how i actually get apps onto there, do i get them from the installer package or download here on my laptop and transfer them to my ipod? if i do use my laptop then anyone know a good website to get apps? thanks

« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 08:59:58 AM by Nemesis »

Offline robin1989

• Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2008, 09:02:02 AM »
you usually just use installer and add loads of different sources to it but you can use your laptop as well

Offline Nemesis

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2008, 10:14:47 AM »
also, if you want to view your ipod touch files on your pc, or install apps from your pc, get ibrickr, no messing around with ftp :censored:  :angry: just plug ipod touch into that program via usb and you can do literally evrything, also if you have a 1.1.3 just plug it in and click jailbreak adn it will do everything. To view files/install apps with it you have to be already jailbroken tho. hope this helps :)

amazing thanks, also ive just installed 1.1.1 but im syncing my ipod touch agen so as soon as its done im gonna jailbreak it :)

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2008, 01:40:37 PM »
but add  http://i.unlock.no (thanks robin) as a source to get okto prep
I love you.So much.You saved my ass. :D
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 02:11:41 PM by pspkicks316 »

Offline robin1989

• Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2008, 02:49:07 PM »
no probs edhel - i just give you guys my advice then if it works i will use it for me when i get m touch you my nervous bald pointy eared 3rd nipple super charged mutant test mice

Offline FreeK

• a-LeeK
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Team CYBER for life
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2008, 02:56:38 PM »
what itunes version you running

srry for the long awaited responce, i forgot to ever check back at this topic. but how do you check what itunes your running?
im pretty sure its w/e the newest one is but im not sure

Offline robin1989

• Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2008, 02:59:50 PM »
you go to the about section