Author Topic: LED Hold switch Mod help!! and some other questions  (Read 2366 times)

Offline bevyii

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
LED Hold switch Mod help!! and some other questions
« on: February 19, 2008, 11:44:06 PM »
Hey there, been a reader of acid mods for the past week. I try to absorb all information i can from reading but in the end i have to ask questions. I did search the forums and the questions dont come as close to as i want to ask.

Just a brief note on my skills in solder, I havnt touched a soldering iron in years. NOW IS THE TIME!! lol..
I have mapped out what i want for my modded psp.

LED (red)
- 2 led lights for shoulder
- 1 led light for the D-pad
- 1 led light for the X O buttons
- 2 led lights for the UMD door

UMD DOOR
- Insertion of jewel

PSP
- Face plate change
- back plate change
- Buttons change

Altogether i have 6 LED lights i want to install

Below is a screenie from one of the tutorials for the Hold-Switch mod.

Basically as you can see from the screenie, the positive points has 4 holes.

Q: Do i use all 4 holes for 1 led? or is 1 hole sufficient to light up the LED?
Q: 6 LED meaning 12 wires i need. Is it OK for me to stick in 6 wires for the negative hole? or do i have to make a circuit of some sort?

Just to make sure, the negative point is the tiny hole that the line is pointing to? (basically referring to the hold circuit that was scratched off)

If it is would it be OK to solder 1 wire there as an access point for the negative points and tape all the other LED's to the wire?

Reading the Tut dissambly of PSPIt does seem abit complicated so to confirm, im only supposed to remove up until the LCD screens right? cause right after removing the lcd screen, th powerboard should be under it isnt it?

Non Hold-Switch questions
I see UMD jewels. Do i need to cut out the UMD door myself or can i buy those umd door that has already been cut out?

IN YOUR OPINION
Clear face and back plates + all the LED that i have mentioned look good? with clear buttons of course

Thanks in advance

Sorry for these questions, I dont wanna  :censored: up my PSP and end up buying another psp and being afraid to mod it.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 12:44:10 AM by bevyii »

Offline 4dP

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Modder For Hire - AM Donator
    • Modder For Hire website Hire me
Re: LED Hold switch Mod help!! and some other questions
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 02:50:45 AM »
the 4 holes which are all positives

wire one wire to all the 6 negatives

negative is the pin at the very end

remove until the lcd cage and then remove powerboard

you have to cut it yourself or i can cut you one pm me

PINOY AKO

Offline [HoP]

• Ex-AcidMag
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +9/-3
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 10:33:45 AM »
when you take apart the psp... the power board is on the right side next to the lcd cage

if you look at the board... you can see the metal underneath the green... that is the different colors.... the ligher part is metal that you solder to...

those 4 holes are all connected.  to solder easier to that area GENTLY scrape  (DO NOT CUT)     VERY GENTLY SCRAPE off the green part, revealing the copper metal.

this would make it easier to solder to!

then what you need to do is connect each led's negative thru the hold switch. the positives would connect to the positive, make sure you use the proper resistor for the led's your going to use.

if you use multiple colors you need to use different resistors for EACH COLOR....

use  www.ledcalc.com to calculate the resistor needed.....

they have different calculators (check the links there)

this is as simple as i could make it (for as tired as i am) if you need more help feel free to message me thru the forums. i may not reply super fast, but i will reply nonetheless.

good luck and i hope it works out good for you

***REMEMBER, by modifying your psp your taking any outcome into your own hands***

Offline bevyii

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 08:39:19 PM »
Gaaak!! lol after reading some post about resistors, i realize you need them (lucky i didnt take apart my psp yet)

Im trying to work up the wiring in my head now. Bear with me here, im a noob when it comes to this.

What im trying to wire up is 6 LED's. (Bright red) so resistors is needed.

- 6x 0630 LED (reds)
- 1x resistor (10 ohm)
- 30 gauge kynar wire

* If i cant get 10 ohm resistors, what should i get?

So lets get to the wiring.

Imagine this.

- One wire to the negative point.
- One wire to the positive point.

- Resistor at the positive's point wire then one wire for LED's access point

so basically

||| <-- Resistor

Positive point --> o------|||--- <-- This will be the positive point to same LED's
Negative point --> o---- <-- This will be the negative point to all LED's

By doing this circuit, can i have multiple color LED's? with multiple resistor connected to the access point?
and for the negative points, its OK to connect all the negatives to the access point?

Scuse me for not viewing the video. My office has blocked the videos for some reason =) Reading acid mods to pass time here while thinking of what to do for my PSP hehe  :laughing:

BTW. For the ledcalc.com not too sure what i should fill in for those fields. Im new to those terms and have no idea on the currents thats passing through. or just enlighten me on what to use heheh

« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 10:26:38 PM by bevyii »

Offline *FuFa

• learn2/spell/
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Spam King Barfday Boy¯\(°_o)/¯ ¯\(°_o)/¯ ¯\(°_o)/¯
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 06:11:59 AM »
Wireing is okay, Multiple colors..well if you get exactly the correct resistance it should work. And for using ledcalc, enter 20 mA for the LEDs.

Have no shame in being kindly and gentle, but if the time comes in the time of your life to kill, kill and have no regret. In the time of your life, live so that, in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it.

Offline bevyii

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 09:31:04 AM »
kk thanks for the help. really appreciate it.

One last question before i start my project. I have trouble getting 20 watt solder iron, should i go for a 30 watt? or a 28 watt?? thats the lowest watt i can find.

I have already gotten solder, solder sucker and awaiting my faceplates. I live in malaysia, KL and i have trouble finding resistors and led lights. Anywhere i can get it withought going through online transaction?

Would post a screenie of my psp once my little project is done   :tup: cant wait to start taking apart my psp  :dribble:

Offline psp_nl

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 09:37:52 AM »
30 or 28 watt soldering iron will do, i myself have 30W iron. a 15-20w is just less hotter, so most beginners pick those.
But a 30w will do, but i suggest the 28w iron.
PSP Modding Plans: Dual Nub (Razor 2) LED mod

Offline [HoP]

• Ex-AcidMag
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +9/-3
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 09:47:20 AM »
beginners... lolol...

i use a 12 watt Weller
also use a 40 watt Weller (Super Fine Tip...)

i made a slight modification to my 40 watt iron though, i wouldnt recommend using a 40 watt if you dont know what your doing (YOU CAN FRY STUFF EASILY)

anyhow, i hope your project turns out great....   cant wait to see pics

what part of malysia do you live? i have 2 internet friends that live there... not sure if they are in to modding, but one of thim does security for a CPU plant.. (AMD?) and i know that in one area it is easy to find stuff... yet in another it is very hard...

time to take my meds, good luck again

Offline bevyii

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 10:54:27 AM »
I live in KL, Kuala Lumpur.

How i wish theres a circuit city or a radioshack where they have areas dedicated to people who need spare parts. one thing about the kynar wire, i think i can get it at those electrical shops, but explaining it to some 60 yr old man with little knowledge of speaking english, i think im gonna have a hard time finding kynar wire too..

Offline bevyii

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 11:34:19 PM »
Btw, could a 5mm LED fit into the psp? or a 3mm LED? I mean have you guys used it yet?

Edit: Nvm, i managed to get stock from someone that has 0630 led's

one more question.

Having trouble finding the kynar wire. And my supplier recommended:-

1st option
- 0.5 mm single core wire.

2nd option'
- 0.2 mm/7 strain.

Any opinions?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 01:49:19 AM by bevyii »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal