Author Topic: Easy way on inserting ribbons  (Read 3730 times)

phenomenal

Easy way on inserting ribbons
« on: April 18, 2008, 04:54:34 PM »
Ok, so using some help from you folks here (thank you btw), I know my DS is working, just that i can't get the ribbons to go in, the bottom screen AND the touchpanel wont go in (the bottom screen is i think, but no image) also on the touchpanel's ribbon entry clip has broken, but it can still go in (like if the psp backlight clip fell off)

is there any techniques to fully insert it and to make it stay there

Offline Timmy

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
Re: Easy way on inserting ribbons
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 05:35:51 PM »
if your using an opaque case and want to hold the touch panel one in place you can use blue tac, i used that while testing one time

you can just superglue if you dont mind it being permenent, but you have to be 100% certain its makeing full contact

or not using the connector at all and soldering the 4 points to X- X+ Y- Y+ on the front of the mobo, i can make a photo quicksticks if you wish on which trace corresponds to which.

as for your bottom screen knowing the "feel" is important, you wont feel a click, but in the time frame you'd feel a click, you feel a scrape/resistance to your push. Once its in and you close the black tab you should only see about 0.5-1mm of the FPC cable head

hope that helps and let me know if you decide on the solder thing

Offline Tri-edge

• I found Nemo!!
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Azure knight
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 11:20:44 PM »
if your using an opaque case and want to hold the touch panel one in place you can use blue tac, i used that while testing one time

you can just superglue if you dont mind it being permenent, but you have to be 100% certain its makeing full contact

or not using the connector at all and soldering the 4 points to X- X+ Y- Y+ on the front of the mobo, i can make a photo quicksticks if you wish on which trace corresponds to which.

as for your bottom screen knowing the "feel" is important, you wont feel a click, but in the time frame you'd feel a click, you feel a scrape/resistance to your push. Once its in and you close the black tab you should only see about 0.5-1mm of the FPC cable head

hope that helps and let me know if you decide on the solder thing

I need one of those too I have another ds lite motherboard that the touch screen connector is broken and if I fix it I could have two ds lites.

phenomenal

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 03:18:39 AM »
Thakns so much timmy now my bottom screen works (well it just started working)

but then something strange happened, basically, both screens started working (i thought the top screen was broken because it just showed blue and white lines, then, i got the touch screen working (although some reason it only works when it says (touch anywhere on the screen) but after that, i have to use the buttons, and now the top screen has gone back to how it is, but the bottom screen is working now

so, is there a way to fix the top screen, i didnt bend the cable or anything, i dont think i even touched the cable

also could i have the pictures please because im just going to solder it instead

EDIT: Strangely, i didnt even do anything and the top screen fixed itself lol

But yeah im just going to solder it now, it should work then
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 03:46:41 AM by Phenomenal »

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 10:18:23 AM »
Well the top screen does that when the ribbon is pretty much cracked or bent in some place. Usually if that happens, then it's pretty much busted. That touch screen issue also did that to me alot, until I got it in right and got it to work. Btw Timmy, thanks on that info, I never knew you can solder the points, but then again, I'll probably have trouble knowing how small those ribbon points are ;D. In any case Pheno, all I can say is, keep trying to put the top screen ribbon in and hopefully if it works again, tape the mother outta that ribbon together, just so it won't break. As for the touch screen, try this:

1. Get a copy of Metroid Prime hunters demo
2. Turn it on
3. When it says push to start, just start pushing random areas of the screen, if you see the point that you are touching all the way to the side, then it's miscalibrated, and either the ribbon is busted or you just need to reinsert it. :D
Proud to be a: -Yugioh Player -ITG/DDR/PIU Player -Furry Fanatic - Knife Thrower -All around awesome guy :D

phenomenal

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 01:14:33 PM »
Okay the top screen stopped working.... Ill just buy another one

but the bottom screen,  when it says touch anywhere on the screen, the touchscreen responds but when i actually have to aim somewhere, it doesnt respond

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 03:35:37 PM »
It's probably miscalibrated. Basically when it says touch anywhere, that's what it means, so it's a huge area you're touching, so you can't really miss unless you have some serious issues lol, but once you haev to push a small button, then it's a different story. The top screen is busted or what?
Proud to be a: -Yugioh Player -ITG/DDR/PIU Player -Furry Fanatic - Knife Thrower -All around awesome guy :D

phenomenal

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 04:26:06 PM »
It's probably miscalibrated. Basically when it says touch anywhere, that's what it means, so it's a huge area you're touching, so you can't really miss unless you have some serious issues lol, but once you haev to push a small button, then it's a different story. The top screen is busted or what?
well ive just been checking, and the touchscreen cable wont go in some reason, or it will but wont stay in

and i think the top screen is bust

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 11:33:26 PM »
Have you tried Aricado's method? Basically inserting a tape with the ribbon inside so it can stay inside and push the ribbon further down inside the clip so it can be read by the pins.

phenomenal

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 08:32:48 AM »
Have you tried Aricado's method? Basically inserting a tape with the ribbon inside so it can stay inside and push the ribbon further down inside the clip so it can be read by the pins.
Nope, got pics of what u mean?

Offline DuMaMay

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2008, 11:30:00 AM »
yea my ribbon wont go back into the hollder which is great. anyother ways?
console list: psp, regular ds, xbox, ipod touch (new new new!)

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2008, 09:09:56 AM »
https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=18730.0 Enjoy! :D
This is Aricado's method of placing the ribbon cable inside with little issue. Just go through the middle of the thread and you'll find one of his posts mentioning it.

phenomenal

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 11:42:56 PM »
This is strange, the top screen goes all white how it should be when i start the ds from a long time, so i have to enter my name and stuff, but then when i go to the main menu, it goes black with little blue and white lines going vertical

Is the top screen bust?

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 09:33:50 AM »
Sounds like the ribbon got bent in some way to do that. Probably got bent in a different matter once you turned it on. I'd probably open it up and check on the ribbon cable, see if it doesn't have any small (and I mean small) cracks or cuts on it, because that's all it takes to mess up the screen.

Offline Timmy

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 02:12:04 AM »
Ok heres a picture of the touch screen cable, shown is the side you need to solder to, the side with the gold contacts, if you have the panel attached to the bottom screen already you should be able to get a view something like this. This is the side we will be concentrating on.

Okay now, here you can see the cable inserted into the connector....but you cant do that as its broken. Now, facing DOWN in this picture is the side of the touch screen cable with the gold contacts pictured above. Anyway the traces correspond to the appropriately colored dot near it....

But those points aren't exactly easy to solder to, so heres the easiest possible points on the front side of the motherboard (Once again the colors match up the the traces in the previous)

So the basic step by step guide corresponding to the above: Scratch away the four traces on the touch panel cable and tin with solder, looking at the second and third images remembering that the side you just soldered too is facing DOWN, solder a length of wire from the touch panel traces to the appropriate points on the motherboard

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal