Author Topic: What is the difference?  (Read 2236 times)

Offline cwn723

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
What is the difference?
« on: April 26, 2008, 03:37:10 PM »
Hey, i was looking for parts for my parents to buy me for my B-day, cause i wanna build my own comp. i wass looking at processors, and what is the diference between these two besides a big price difference. what is the difference in performance?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3574211&Sku=CP1-DUO-E8400

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3451428&Sku=CP2-DUO-QX9650

Offline Onii

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: What is the difference?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 03:46:54 PM »
E8400 is a Dual Core processor and the one you posted is the retail version (comes with cooling and instructions), QX9650 is a Quad Core processor with an unlocked multiplier, the one you posted is OEM (no cooling or instructions). Those are the big points.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 03:50:08 PM by Onii »

Offline cwn723

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 08:15:23 PM »
So... what is the difference in performance, besides cooling and instructions?

Offline Onii

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 08:34:27 PM »
Quads can handle more load, other then that they should perform relatively the same in single threaded apps seeing as it is the same basic microarchitecture (core 2) at 3ghz. Multi threaded and you'll have a decent gain in performance by using the QX9650 since it has more cores to apply the load across, it is the better overclocker aswell since it has the unlocked multi 4ghz isn't that hard to do on it. I'd go with the dual seeing as you'll save about 800 bucks lol. Not worth the jump yet, I'm still on the E6600 and I havn't had ANY slowdowns or games it won't handle. The Penryn (QX9650) is just 2 Wolfdale's (E8400) in the same chip. Intel doesn't have a "Native" quad core yet, so they take 2 dual core dies and stick em on one chip.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 08:51:37 PM by Onii »

Offline cwn723

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 08:38:27 PM »
Ohhhh... i see.. one is dual core, and one is quad core.

Offline P3nnyw1se

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • AcidMaG
    • Myspace
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 08:40:18 PM »
Quad Core Extreme Gaming CPU 3.0 GhZ here...even though I haven't been able to use it yet...:cry2:  I get good grades though...and I'm set, I'll up pics when I do, promise you guys that much!!!

Offline Onii

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 08:55:27 PM »
Edited my last post to be more specific. The prices will fall eventually, give it a few months and that $1000 processor will be 300 just like the rest. VIA is still working on the new Isaiah architecture which should give intel's core2 a run for its money. Competition will drive the market in our favor, since they will need to do something to compete.

Offline cwn723

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 09:24:13 AM »
yeah, so wait a few months? Im helping a neighbor redo there whole fence and they are gonna pay me, and i wanna build my own computer. so, should i wait a few months and buy the extreme one when the price falls. also, i saw the same processor on alienware, and they overclocked it to 4.0ghz, is that hard to do?

Offline MattZani

• Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Matthew Dear
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 09:38:54 AM »
a $1000 CPU will never be $300, as they will replace the CPU with a newer one.

Also, the difference between Extreme and Standard are unlocked Multipliers, meaning you can greatly OC it with the right kit.
Retired Modder, minor dabbling from now on :P

Offline Onii

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 04:11:48 PM »
Waitin a few months can't hurt, pricecuts are common (I went alittle over the top with 1k to 300 pricecut, but %50 cuts aren't that uncommon) and every penny saved can go to another component that needs it. Overclocking to 4.0ghz on the QX9650 isn't that hard if you have a good mobo and good cooling, but really you can save a bunch of money and still have a fast computer by gettin a cheaper processor. The Q6600 is a good one if you really think you need a QC, but to me the E6600 or E8400 you listed should do just fine. Just remember that video cards are still leaps and bounds behind processors, so getting a good GPU is more important for now if you game alot.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 04:23:35 PM by Onii »

Offline cwn723

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 06:22:44 PM »
But if i overclock the CPU, will that cause like any problems in a few years or so?

Offline Onii

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 12:33:37 PM »
But if i overclock the CPU, will that cause like any problems in a few years or so?
Sorry for taking forever to respond. Been playin GTA4 since it came out almost non-stop lol (computer has been shut-down since the 29th, first day back up lol).
Overclocking can shorten the life of the CPU, thats why I'm not OCing mine till it starts "showing its age". It's really your call. By overclocking you can save a bunch of money short-term, and when the CPU dies it's about time to upgrade anyways. If you're like me you don't wanna OC. I was runnin on a Intel P3 from since it came out up till '06 (now I'm on a E6600), just cause I didn't feel the need to update and I wasn't a big PC gamer at the time. I think this CPU will last me about 4-6 years, since I really dont need the BEST in framerate just to play a game.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal