Author Topic: PSP internal HDD mod with 80GB 1.8" ipod harddrive (or any other usb drive)  (Read 162366 times)

Offline mongol550

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
 I've searched around for awhile and finally decided how I'm going to (try) to do this using:

• PSP with irshell and usb mod v4b with the UMD drive removed, hopefully I can somehow get everything to fit inside in place of a UMD drive, which is my ultimate goal, but first I want to make sure I can even access the drive and such before I get into all that.

• Linksys NSLU2 Network Storage Drive, with modded firmware it pretty much becomes a whole linux computer where I'll make it host usbhostfs. It has 2 USB ports where in one I'll plug in the drive (with a ZIF->USB converter ripped out of a 1.8" hdd enclosure) and the other will plug into the PSP's usb port. Amazingly, a whole guide for how to do this already exists at http://irshell.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=1087&page=1 which is what I plan to follow. The motherboard to this probably won't be able to fit in the PSP without major mods but the only smaller embedded linux systems with USB host ports I can find are over $100.

• USB 2.0 1.8" Toshiba (iPod) Hard Drive Enclosure Case, to connect to the drive and give it a USB interface. Hopefully the NSLU2's USB port will put out enough power for the drive to work right. I'm thinking it will. I plan to do away with the whole enclosure and just take out the adapter piece that converts ZIF->USB and fit it inside where the UMD drive is supposed to go along with everything else.

• Toshiba 80GB 1.8" HDD from 5G video ipod with ZIF interface

I've already ordered everything which should arrive in around 3 days. If all of this works correctly (I don't see how it wouldn't) I'll put serious effort into fitting everything in place of the UMD drive which most likely won't fit perfectly because of the size of the NSLU2's circuit board. Of course to power the NSLU2, zif->usb adapter, and drive I'll probably need to add another battery somewhere among all of that.

If anyone has any info/questions/advice please post. I've never really done anything like this before so I just hope I can get it all to work. :censored:-Lostknight is the only person I know of whos actually done this and read off of a USB external drive which is where I got some ideas from.

By the way, can I only access the drive in IRShell or can I trick the whole XMB into using USB MOD v4b? Probably very easy to do with a PRX but as far as I know one doesn't exist.
UPDATE: It does now: http://www.2alien.info/2008/05/hostcore_11_release.html

PS: I'll post pics and vids when I can too.

Pictures (or scroll down): https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=18521.msg140600#msg140600
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 07:06:10 PM by mongol550 »

Offline 4dP

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Modder For Hire - AM Donator
    • Modder For Hire website Hire me
good luck if your able to pull it off you'll show pvp

PINOY AKO

Offline ApheX

• Club AM VIP
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • PSP And PSP Slim Case/Hardware Modder
    • ApheX MoDs
Sounds like a mission, but good luck dude! remember pic's and vid's. :)

Offline Drajwer

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
Linksys NSLU2 Network Storage Drive, with modded firmware it pretty much becomes a whole linux computer where I'll make it host usbhostfs. It has 2 USB ports where in one I'll plug in the drive (with a ZIF->USB converter ripped out of a 1.8" hdd enclosure) and the other will plug into the PSP's usb port. Amazingly, a whole guide for how to do this already exists at http://irshell.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=1087&page=1 which is what I plan to follow. The motherboard to this probably won't be able to fit in the PSP without major mods but the only smaller embedded linux systems with USB host ports I can find are over $100.

This is the way. But expensive...

VoX

I think this can totally work, I might get in on it too. I got one of those 1TB Seagate Portable hard drives to run USBHost because it ran a small version of Linux (Minus the GUI and Xwindows). Linux is a great OS for modding, programming (Code editors built in) and hacking, the only thing that is stopping me from not running Windows anymore is that most programs are made to run on Windows. On topic: I hope you keep us updated on how it goes. I wish you luck with this project,

-Vox

BTW: Drajwer check your PM's

Offline *FuFa

• learn2/spell/
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Spam King Barfday Boy¯\(°_o)/¯ ¯\(°_o)/¯ ¯\(°_o)/¯
Are you sure the Linksys thing even fits inside the PSP? How about the powerdraw?

The Linksys thing got mentioned before but I think it failed at the size of the thing, It's rather big.

Have no shame in being kindly and gentle, but if the time comes in the time of your life to kill, kill and have no regret. In the time of your life, live so that, in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it.

VoX

Are you sure the Linksys thing even fits inside the PSP? How about the powerdraw?

The Linksys thing got mentioned before but I think it failed at the size of the thing, It's rather big.

He said this in his post that he will not be able to fit it in with out any major mods and can only find small Linux motherboards with USB ports for $100 or more. We should look into smaller motherboards

Offline Z3ROmod

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
if you know linux use the ipod linux and if you know how to make a kernel you can make a usb host krnl and a usb tobble with the ipod to either control the contents from ur mem stick using irshell or the ipod host to move more than single files around im curently workin on the host for the ipod but i cant get it to work properly it sumtimes corrupts the files i move around :faint:  :x:

Offline 00G

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Woohoo, 1/2 more and I'm a pint!!!
You might want to check out a 2-way OTG enclosure and a 2.5" hd to 1.8"hd adapter.  I read an article of it working, maybe you'd be able to fit everything in the case...  http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/news-10939-The+PSP+compatible+2.5%22+OTG+HDD+case+is+here%21.html

VoX

You might want to check out a 2-way OTG enclosure and a 2.5" hd to 1.8"hd adapter.  I read an article of it working, maybe you'd be able to fit everything in the case...  http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/news-10939-The+PSP+compatible+2.5%22+OTG+HDD+case+is+here%21.html

Does this device even support USBHost? According to the article you can only copy files between your PSP and this

Offline 00G

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Woohoo, 1/2 more and I'm a pint!!!
In a way I was hoping someone may chime in if they've tried it.  I've been looking at these OTG items and the datel method of tieing into the mem stick.  I have been reading the datasheets on OTG chips as well.  It would be nice if this was an avenue towards more memory.

Offline mongol550

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
 Something held me off from ordering yesterday so I plan to order everything soon. But as far as I know the Linksys NSLU2 is the only thing that can do the job at $40. If anyone knows any better options for hosting a usbhostfs or not even doing that at all and using something different please say so.

Linksys NSLU2
1.8" enclosure

I keep seeing something called "USB OTG" come up...that wouldn't be good because: You would have to take the OTG drive out to press the right buttons to select files with the device's own controls and with a person reading a small lcd screen to see what files to send to the PSP. Its not a REAL drive, and you HAVE to remove the memory stick from the PSP to add new files to it. This is good for carrying 2 devices around to have portable access alot of games/movies/music/etc but what I want to do is just have everything contained in the PSP and controllable from the PSP.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 04:26:41 PM by mongol550 »

Offline unicorn

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
mongol550 , when you get that linksys nslu can you give me the demintion of the board itself ? I am also working on this and have just order my nslu. will be a couple of days before i get it,

i am also working with the vdip2 and the e-val board and just waiting for a pic to come in so it can be program still trying to figure out how im going to put it all in the psp, if the vdip2 don't work out i'll go the nslu route. (will sell the e-val board and the vdip2 if i can't get it going)

i think i found a way if everything work to easy be able to swap out 1.8 hardrive as soon as my nslu comes in i will get started and document everything. if you want to share idea's that would be cool we can help each other out if you want.

i will keep you all posted on my progress, ( i am also doing the bluetooth also).

Offline TaSlAyEr

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • i has a shovel lolz
This is the way. But expensive...
true but if he pulls it off and show us how to do it, it will be worth the money

Offline OmegaNemesis28

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • The Nemesis Project
    • =[LSS]= Last Standing Soldiers Clan
Sellers/Investors should look into the whole modding stuff and sell/invent some things that the modding community can atually work with in terms of size. It seems like not many put there feet into it, and I wonder why.

Offline unicorn

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
ok guys i got the linksys nslu working with irshell took me a while but i got it working, i have the nslu connect to a 1.8 30gb hardrive and accessing it with irshell and everthing is working fine with iso file, have not try hombre yet.

i have not open the nslu yet so i don't know if i can fit it in the psp or how i am going to power it up yet.

i will post pic.

Offline Ghost_Nub92

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Noob For life~ knowledge is infinite
    • AM the best site in the world ~besides.... you kno.......~
nice good luck  :clap:
Live Learn and Move on

Offline mongol550

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
 Sorry everyone but I might have to hold off ordering for awhile, I don't have the money right now. Especially for something that might not even work. Maybe in a week or so.

But I'm glad to see other people are working on it. I agree that a company should put all this onto 1 little chip/microprocessor and it would surely sell like hotcakes. Its seems very easy to do with the right mind but I guess there isn't a demand for it currently...it would be pretty useless for anything besides a modded PSP.

Pictures...I don't have the NSLU2 or the enclosure yet. But this is the HDD and PSP:

If you look closely it says DC 3.3v 500mAh. Think it can run off a standard PSP 1800mAh battery?

Used PSP I got for cheap...it has alot of internal problems but the price was right. The wifi doesn't work (its there but never comes on...I've tried different wifi chips) and for whatever reason it always bricks if you try to upgrade to 3.90M33. It gets to about 95% then "update failed call technical support 0xFFF000". But I suppose its fine at 3.80M33.

NSLU2 motherboard:

Looks about the size of the PSP mobo...use the USB ports for size comparison

ZIF (ipod hdd) -> USB converter from the enclosure

Offline unicorn

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
mongol550 the motherboard for the nslu is too wide, it wider the the psp (about 1 3/4) i see no way to make it fit in the psp plus it's longer then the umd door. but i got mine working, it work great with slugOs install and runing usbhost.

but since its to large to fit inside i am willing to sell it. i am also selling my vdip2 and the e-val board , so let me know if anyone is intersted i will sell at a lost, need money for my new mod that is going to cost around 600 in supplys.

Offline DuMaMay

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
its not going to work
console list: psp, regular ds, xbox, ipod touch (new new new!)

Offline hdx

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
As I can see it on the picture you can try to cut NSLU a little ;) Desolder USB ports and LEDs and see what can be dremeled. Also I think you should make little box on the back of PSP. You can put here HDD.

Offline unicorn

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
still wont work the psp is 2 7/8 h * 6 3/4 (the actual umd drive is 2 7/8 h *  2 7/8 w ) the nslu is 3 3/8h * 4 1/2 w)

even if you desolder the two usb port and the ethernet port and power port you still don't have enought room even if you dremel as much as you can of all four sides. width wise you might be able to do it , but the long side it be to much work, to many resistors and traces on the under side of the board  to cut and jump. it can be done  but i personely would'nt wast my time on it ,

but the nslu does work great with irshell and would of been a great solution for adding a harddrive to the psp.

Offline Ghost_Nub92

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
nice job that was the same idea i had only problem i didnt have the program for a host controller thumbs up to u man and ty :yess: :clap: :rofl: :#1: :tup:
Live Learn and Move on

Offline Ghost_Nub92

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
Just 1 Question though is it possible to have it run on a moded version of the xmb. im just asking now im not going to due it because i am satisfied with have a 30GB HDD that i got for free from broken ipod and putting it in there but you dont need a 80GB HDD or do you?
Live Learn and Move on

Offline hdx

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
Can you make comparsion photo of PSP and NSLU2 board?

Offline unicorn

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
here is the comparsion photo of PSP and NSLU2 board

Offline folklord36

• Research & Development
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
just an idea get ahold of someone with logic analysers and other tech stuff and try and pull it from the board and dump it on a clpd or high powered pic i know lots of pic's have higher specs than nslu2 and in theory could do the same thing as nslu2 maybe that might work?

Offline wrcsti

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
You can also just make an enclosure for the board and leave the HDD inside the psp, just add conectors for it on the back.

Darn I havent posted in a while.

Offline mongol550

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
 So now its confirmed that the NSLU2 is too big to fit in the PSP, and I'm assuming you wouldn't be able to cut off some silicon because theres no "blank" areas on the circuit board where theres no components. Though it does look like you could run it fine with only the HDD inside and the circuit board held onto the back with rubber bands or something.

Offline DuMaMay

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
good luck! im starting mine in 4-5 days when i get the parts

edit edit edit

« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 01:26:30 PM by DuMaMay »
console list: psp, regular ds, xbox, ipod touch (new new new!)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal