Author Topic: DS power switch  (Read 4536 times)

Offline xlightx

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
DS power switch
« on: May 19, 2008, 12:11:36 PM »
Ok so i bought a replacement shell for the ds, and it was my first time. Everything went fine until i put it back together i noticed the black plastic part of the power button was broken. So i heard the only way to fix this is by soldering, but ive never done any soldering so i dont want to do it. Will someone please tell me if theres easier way. 

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: DS power switch
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 01:33:52 PM »
TBH, there isn't. Either you get a replacement switch and solder it, or solder a wire to the pwsw point and one ofthe pins that the switch is connected to and you have a new switch right there. You would need some wire, soldering iron, and a tactile switch, like those small cheap push button switches.
Proud to be a: -Yugioh Player -ITG/DDR/PIU Player -Furry Fanatic - Knife Thrower -All around awesome guy :D

Offline xlightx

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 04:31:21 PM »
Where in the pwsw point? do i have to take the metal piece out.

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 10:21:38 PM »
The point should be in the back of the motherboard, and it's not too hard to see it. Bah if only I had a picture to show,  anyway you don't have to remove the switch if you don't want to, just solder a wire onto one of the 4 pins the metal switch is connected to, and be careful on not soldering anything together since that area can be a pain to solder with a fat tip.
Proud to be a: -Yugioh Player -ITG/DDR/PIU Player -Furry Fanatic - Knife Thrower -All around awesome guy :D

Offline Tri-edge

• I found Nemo!!
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Azure knight
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 11:16:44 PM »

http://n-mod.com/mods/DSL/layoutdsl/front/1e.JPG
it's between the words red and orange.

Offline LocalToast

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • DS Hacker, Modder-to-be
    • LocalToast's DS Hacks
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 11:25:26 AM »
Hm... so by soldering a wire to the PWSW point and a part of the switch, how exactly does that make a switch? In other words, what does it do to turn on the DS?
My Stuff:
- 1 Unmodded DS Phat, original
- 1 Onyx DS Lite, broken power switch
- 1 Coral Pink DS Lite, under repairs. To be for sale later

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 12:08:46 PM »
Basically, your connecting a button switch to it. Now it has 2 leads, positive and negative. The ground (negative) is the pins, and the positive comes from the pwsw ( I think). Anyway the external button acts like the switch, when you push it, it will open the contact for the points you connected since your original switch will not work. If anything, try to find a place to drill a hole in ds to plac ethe butotn if you don't mind the ds having a hole. The best thing thing to do get a replacement switch. If you have like a click button or a tactile switch, you can use that as a temporary/permanent solution

Offline xlightx

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 11:53:43 AM »

So basically I have to solder a wire to the pwsw point(just that one dot?) and then connect a tactile switch to the wire. And it should work, Right. Does anyone have a picture of what it should look like?. and thank you dslitemodder for the picture.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 06:36:03 PM by xlightx »

Offline thecauseandeffect

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 08:04:13 PM »
i just had to replace a broken switch.  ordered it off of ebay for $8 with free shipping and it was very easy to solder in and works fine.  i wish DX would restock, they have the switch for only $2!
i think just about anyone can replace it with confidence though

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 09:07:10 AM »
True, but meh I had some trouble, to the point of having to make a new ground to solder the power switch to, since those pins can lterally rip the entire trace out of the motherboard when you're trying to remove it. But gratz on fixing it :D/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal