Author Topic: Trying to fix this lcd monitor, any advice would be appreciated...  (Read 1026 times)

Offline Cha0ticBliss

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
Hey, I just was given this dell lcd monitor for free that's broken. It powers on for a second or two then the screen goes black, but the power light remains on. Looking around the internet I saw it was a fairly common issue, but no real solutions on how to fix it so i figured I would check it out. I pryed open its guts and got down to the power board.

I found a pin on the bottom that was brownish black for the most part.
(the pin near center of pic, below "D805")

The black component glued to the heatsink seems to be what it is attached to. So, I was wondering if this could be the problem. And if so, do you guys think the component needs to be replaced or is it possible that just fixing the solder joint would make the monitor work.... (the component doesnt seem to be burnt or melted.)

I dunno, I've never really had a go at fixing circuit boards before so I dunno much about it. Any advice from more experienced people in this area would be appreciated ;D

*EDIT: also, any idea what those components are/do? They must pump out a lot of heat to need such a big heatsink and still overheat..
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 08:27:27 PM by Cha0ticBliss »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal