Author Topic: Home made VGA cable  (Read 22808 times)

Offline Dun_it_right

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • The greatest lovers were murderers first.
Home made VGA cable
« on: February 09, 2008, 07:51:02 AM »
Has anyone made a home made VGA cable? I would like to splice one into the PS2 A/V cable output connector so I could have the VGA cable and still have the A/V.

Anyone know if it may be possible?

Offline KingMike_OS

• Shop Owner - Products & Support
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +14/-0
  • R&D
    • Modding Shop At the end of the Universe
Re: Home made VGA cable
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 05:30:10 PM »
yes it do able

http://skygate.bravehost.com/PS2_VGA_cable.html

Or you can just buy one you going to spend 20.00 on parts + time for 7.00 more  you can

get this VGA Box for PS2/PSX
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 05:36:26 PM by kingmike_os »

Offline sniper07

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 10:37:01 PM »
Whoa, that is pretty cool man.  :tup:

VoX

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 06:24:31 AM »
It is do able and easy, depending on your soldering skills and general modding experience

Offline Blizzrad

• Chaos Lover
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 03:03:15 AM »
Has anyone made a home made VGA cable? I would like to splice one into the PS2 A/V cable output connector so I could have the VGA cable and still have the A/V.

Anyone know if it may be possible?

Yes, this can be done with certain third-party cables. The Ps2's multi-A/V out connector does not use jumpers to set the output, instead it outputs all signals simultaneously, and the official Sony cables remove the extra unused pins in the male connector (leaving only those required for each specific cable type). Some of the third party cables (the cheap eBay variety) don't bother removing the extra pins, and are therefore ideal for modifying. Using a set of component cables is best because the RGB and L/R audio are already there, so all you need to do is open up the connector hood and solder in the stripped ends of your other cables to their respective pins. At the opposite end you can use the method shown in the link above, and create a female RCA to 15 pin D-sub adapter so that your Ps2 cables do not need to be cut.

My Ps2 is connected in this way: The s-video out is run to a scaler (for use when a progressive signal cannot be enabled or forced) and the RGB out is sent through a passive switch that selects between the VGA DB15 and three male RCA component plugs (for YPbPr). The VGA out cables from the scaler and Ps2 are then run through another passive switch, this way I can select between using the scaler for interlaced signals, and the direct RGsB signal for all 480p capable games. YPbPr component video can still be used by selecting it from the system menu and then hitting the in line switch on the custom cable. This method will allow all video signals to be selected via convenient switches, without having to connect/disconnect any cables.

Here are a couple pictures of the VGA end of the cable and a video quality comparison (this cable was made using the same schematic linked above.) One other thing worth noting about the LM1881M, is that it outputs composite sync which most (but not all) monitors will accept on pin 13.

This is the sync splitter circuit and DB-15 connector before assembly (I cut up an old set of composite A/V cables so the wire insulation is red white and yellow on the RGB lines). The black wire leading to the LM1881M is the +5v line taken off pin #10 on the A/V connector. The colors were a little too bright and washed out on my monitor so I included a 47ohm resistor on each of the color lines for better contrast.

Everything wired and assembled, (the sync splitter is wrapped in electrical tape).

Closeup FFX screenshot showing picture quality using an S-video cable and N6 scaler.

The same screen from FFX in (forced) VGA mode on the same monitor.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 07:02:37 PM by Blizzrad »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal