Author Topic: Question.  (Read 9730 times)

Offline elescape

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
Question.
« on: June 08, 2008, 12:50:52 PM »
Hey guys, I had a question, I was thinking of an idea for the clear case and it was with the UMD, I was thinking of ripping it apart and putting a led, a battery and a switch in there but some people told me it might mess up the UMD reader, what do you's think?

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Ignorance is not fatal it can be cured
Re: Question.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 01:01:13 PM »
Whats the battery for ?

Offline tmandt

• Club AM VIP
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • o.O tOny! JDMKID
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 01:02:01 PM »

Offline elescape

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 01:08:32 PM »
power the led

Offline Jumbo

• Dr. Mod
  • BST BAN
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-3
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 01:12:24 PM »
Just wire it the frigin powerboard!

Offline elescape

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 01:14:32 PM »
Yes but i wanted to have mutiple leds just in the umd, not including the in the case, and be removable, so they can't be wired to the powerboard.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 01:18:04 PM by elescape »

Offline ApheX

• Club AM VIP
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • PSP And PSP Slim Case/Hardware Modder
    • ApheX MoDs
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 01:17:13 PM »
Yes but i wanted to have mutiple leds just in the umd, not including the in the case, so they can't be wired to the mobo.

You can still have multiple leds in the umd door and connect them to the mobo. is there a reason why you want to use a second power source for the umd leds?

Offline elescape

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 01:20:20 PM »
You can still have multiple leds in the umd door and connect them to the mobo. is there a reason why you want to use a second power source for the umd leds?
yes I know that. And the reason is that if the second supply of power came from the psp the umd wouldn't come out, you gotta think, the leds,battery and switch is inside the UMD, so I would turn it on, pop it in and it would lite up.

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 01:24:39 PM »
The put a small plug in the PSP and when you want to remove the door you can just unplug it.

Less parts more room for more mods.  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS ................................

Offline elescape

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 01:27:39 PM »
The put a small plug in the PSP and when you want to remove the door you can just unplug it.

Less parts more room for more mods.  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS  MORE MODS ................................

I don't want to remove the door, I just want to be able to turn on the led inside the UMD, pop it in and the window lite up, now can anyone answer my question?

Offline ApheX

• Club AM VIP
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
    • ApheX MoDs
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 01:36:08 PM »
I don't want to remove the door, I just want to be able to turn on the led inside the UMD, pop it in and the window lite up, now can anyone answer my question?

Ah, so you mean placeing an led in a umd disk not the drive?

Offline elescape

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 01:37:44 PM »
Ah, so you mean placeing an led in a umd disk not the drive?
Yep

Offline ApheX

• Club AM VIP
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
    • ApheX MoDs
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2008, 01:42:45 PM »
Yep

i see, well if i'm honest, i've never heard anyone do that, i suppose that makes things easier if you wanted to change the colours, but i'm not sure how you would do it. need to have a think. lol!

Offline elescape

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2008, 01:45:22 PM »
i see, well if i'm honest, i've never heard anyone do that, i suppose that makes things easier if you wanted to change the colours, but i'm not sure how you would do it. need to have a think. lol!
Lol I thought of it. And to have different colors I would just have another UMD with that color in there, I just need to know will a led mess up the UMD reader?

Offline ApheX

• Club AM VIP
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
    • ApheX MoDs
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2008, 01:50:28 PM »
Lol I thought of it. And to have different colors I would just have another UMD with that color in there, I just need to know will a led mess up the UMD reader?

Well as long as you didn't have any direct contact between the UMD reader and the leds then i think you'll be fine. just make sure all the wire and any bear points are tucked away, last thing you need is a short. so how many leds are you thinking of using?

Offline elescape

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2008, 01:52:39 PM »
Three, one on each side but the side with the reader

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2008, 02:06:29 PM »
That's actually a pretty cool idea. You must update with pics when ur done

Sig by Kenshinffx - Thanks!

Offline elescape

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2008, 02:17:16 PM »
That's actually a pretty cool idea. You must update with pics when ur done
Yeah i'll be sure to, here's an idea of it, don't complain i did it in paint  :laughing:

Offline tmandt

• Club AM VIP
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • o.O tOny! JDMKID
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2008, 02:28:33 PM »
i dont think thatll be posible. casue the wires are gonna be running and spinnign up on the wires and next thing you know the disk is likea blade cutting the wires. idk though it would look nice.

Offline elescape

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2008, 02:33:54 PM »
the disk is likea blade cutting the wires.
No disc in there

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2008, 02:38:08 PM »
Well it could be done by making a modded disk that had ring contacts in the middle then the wires would be glued to the back side of the disk and a small reed switch that would turn on with centrifugal force.

Ya know like the YOYOs that light up when they spin. And the battery would allow the disk to not have any connection to the psp mmmmmmm.

You would have to do it all on the back side of the disk and drill in so that everything would be the same thickness as the disk by itself then put it all back in a replacement clear UMD case.

Is that what you want to do ??????

No one here likes to pick on people for ideas, we are here to share ideas. Sometimes we just don't understand what a person is trying to do .

Offline elescape

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2008, 02:42:21 PM »
Well it could be done by making a modded disk that had ring contacts in the middle then the wires would be glued to the back side of the disk and a small reed switch that would turn on with centrifugal force.

Ya know like the YOYOs that light up when they spin. And the battery would allow the disk to not have any connection to the psp mmmmmmm.

You would have to do it all on the back side of the disk and drill in so that everything would be the same thickness as the disk by itself then put it all back in a replacement clear UMD case.

Is that what you want to do ??????

No one here likes to pick on people for ideas, we are here to share ideas. Sometimes we just don't understand what a person is trying to do .

Uh well not really I had a pic of it and that's all, no disc in there what so ever. I got the answer to my question. But that would be a good idea also.

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2008, 02:43:13 PM »
The led reader head rides just off the disk by thousands of an inch. As long as you don't touch the head you can't hurt it.

I could point another laser diode at it and it would not hurt it.

Missed that part of your question.

You could also just make it fixed position just totally remove the rotating media.

Anything ya want ya know

Offline elescape

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2008, 02:45:03 PM »
The led reader head rides just off the disk by thousands of an inch. As long as you don't touch the head you can't hurt it.

I could point another laser diode at it and it would not hurt it.

Missed that part of your question.

You could also just make it fixed position just totally remove the rotating media.

Anything ya want ya know

Ok cool, thanks. And yeah that's what I said no media what so ever in there.

Offline afataldonkey

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2008, 02:45:30 PM »
i think he means gutting out a umd game (taking out the disk) and placing batteries and leds in there, instead of soldering the leds to his psp. if this is correct then he will have to cut a little bit of the umd so that when it is placed in the umd drive it wont press down the switch which activates the umd drive and laser, which would mess up his whole led assembly. if this is correct then you should be able to put an led over where the laser is. i dont think it should affect the laser.

EDIT: damn computer, didnt show the last 3 posts until i posted this. well im glad you got your answer
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 02:47:11 PM by afataldonkey »

Offline elescape

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2008, 02:58:25 PM »
i think he means gutting out a umd game (taking out the disk) and placing batteries and leds in there, instead of soldering the leds to his psp. if this is correct then he will have to cut a little bit of the umd so that when it is placed in the umd drive it wont press down the switch which activates the umd drive and laser, which would mess up his whole led assembly. if this is correct then you should be able to put an led over where the laser is. i dont think it should affect the laser.

EDIT: damn computer, didnt show the last 3 posts until i posted this. well im glad you got your answer
Thanks anyway. But i didn't know there is a switch that activates the UMD, could u explain a little more.

Offline rceckspurt13

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2008, 05:39:19 PM »
IM GLAD YOU GUY SFINALLY COUGHT ON TO WHAT HE WAS SAYING. AS FOR A SOLUTION, I HAVE DONE A MOCK UP IN PAINT. I THINK IT WOULD BE DOABLE IF YOU CAN GETENOUGH POWER FROM A BUTTON CELL BATTERY TO POWER SEVERAL LEDS. THIS PIC I THINK WILL BE HELPFUL. I FORGOT TO PUT A SWITCH THO BUT YOU CAN ADD THAT INTO THE CIRCUIT SOMEWHERE. I THINK IT WOULD BE A GREAT IDEA IF YOU WANTED LIGHTS BUT DIDNT WANT TO MOD YER PSP TO GET EM. ALSO IT WOULD BE HANDY TO CHANGE COLORS. I THINK I WILL DO THIS MYSELF AS I HAVE A FEWBROKEN UMD CASES LAYING AROUND. IF I DO ILL KEEP U GUYS UPDATED. ANYWAY HERES THE PICTURE:
Any Questions? Please Contact Me: rceckspurt13@gmail.com

Offline elescape

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2008, 07:27:15 PM »
IM GLAD YOU GUY SFINALLY COUGHT ON TO WHAT HE WAS SAYING. AS FOR A SOLUTION, I HAVE DONE A MOCK UP IN PAINT. I THINK IT WOULD BE DOABLE IF YOU CAN GETENOUGH POWER FROM A BUTTON CELL BATTERY TO POWER SEVERAL LEDS. THIS PIC I THINK WILL BE HELPFUL. I FORGOT TO PUT A SWITCH THO BUT YOU CAN ADD THAT INTO THE CIRCUIT SOMEWHERE. I THINK IT WOULD BE A GREAT IDEA IF YOU WANTED LIGHTS BUT DIDNT WANT TO MOD YER PSP TO GET EM. ALSO IT WOULD BE HANDY TO CHANGE COLORS. I THINK I WILL DO THIS MYSELF AS I HAVE A FEWBROKEN UMD CASES LAYING AROUND. IF I DO ILL KEEP U GUYS UPDATED. ANYWAY HERES THE PICTURE:
Yep that's right, good pic. But I'm going to use 1 3v battery with a battery pack and cover having it come out of where it says UMD on the front that was you can change batteries as they die etc. etc. But yes you have the idea.
*Forgot to add it be parallel*
*I have some pics up soon, w8ting for the pack to come*
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 10:26:20 PM by elescape »

Offline sprocketme2

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2008, 04:24:17 PM »
I like this idea alot. Lots of possabilities. 1st off you could cut part of the umd casing away so the psp's internal umd switch wont detect a UMD. This would be a great place to install one of AM "HIVE" boards so the leds could chase around the umd. (If you dont know what im talking about then look for Hive board thread)

:confused: Wait a minute...  :confused: If you do this mod as an alternative to opening your psp up then you will obviously not have a clear UMD door so you wont be able to see the LEDS anyway...  :faint:
My flickr profile: http://www.flickr.com/photos/47542734@N06/
Contains all my photos for public viewing

Offline Cratos

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • http://necaonline.com/images/news/kratos/kratoscorrex1large.jpg
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2008, 05:13:55 PM »
that seems really dumb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal